1. MEGA EASTER EGG HUNT has started now! There will be $50, $100 eggs and a Golden Egg with a pair of St. Crispin's brown oxford shoes from Skoaktiebolaget inside!
  2. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Official Carmina Sizing Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Mar 5, 2012.

1. jet-stream

jet-stream Distinguished Member

I hope it works! I do think the “where” of the toebox difference is important - Inca has more room for the small toes but less for the big toe, Rain is the opposite.

2. dave_rawitat

dave_rawitat Well-Known Member

Thanks! From the shape of the last, it appears so. Luckily, for me, my longest toe is the 2nd one, and my small toe is always problematic (especially with the Simpson 9.5, and even with *some* of Rain 9.5). I guess I would have less of a problem with Inca 9 than I thought, then.

Trigger pulled (but won't be home to see it until 20th, sadly).

3. DapperPhysician

DapperPhysician Well-Known Member

4. dave_rawitat

A quick question:

Because lacing styles (or lack thereof) contribute a bit to fitting ... so I wonder ...

How much bigger (in all dimensions: length, width, instep) for “Simpson 10.5 Oxford” feels comparing to “Rain 9.5 Derby” and “Inca 9.5 Double Monk”?

Thank you.

5. jet-stream

jet-stream Distinguished Member

They would be fairly different. I can directly compare Simpson in 10.5 to Inca in 10. For those shoes (Oxford and double Monk), the Simpson was:
    - a half size longer
    - almost identical volume on the instep and across the ball of the foot
    - smaller heel

6. AGlorifiedCrew

AGlorifiedCrew Well-Known Member

Question for those who've purchased any of their Cordovan Shell Wholecuts in the Rain Last: The representative on the site's chat (super helpful by the way) stated that even though I'm a 10.5E Brannock (9.5UK), it might be worth going down to a 9UK due to how roomy the Cordovan Wholecut is. The theory of it makes sense, but I wanted to know if anyone has had experience or noticed a difference on a standard Rain captoe/longwing/etc vs a Rain wholecut.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

7. dave_rawitat

I'm 10.5D US Brannock, and I found Rain 9.5 to be pretty good fit, but not "snug". I have yet to try Rain 9, but I think it would fit very snuggly. I actually have a used pair of Rain 9 (which I found on eBay) coming. So, in a week I should be able to tell you the differences between Rain 9.5 (Wholecut, Derby, Wingtip oxford) and Rain 9 (Wingtip oxford).

For your question: I don't notice any big difference, if at all, for the fitting of Rain 9.5 in all aforementioned designs. Perhaps because it's a slightly loose fit for me to begin with. But, as I mentioned, I personally found it to be pretty good fit (at least for how I like it).

8. Shawl Lapel

Shawl Lapel Senior Member

Unless their wholecut is vastly different than their oxford wingtip I think going down 1.5 would be too small. I'm a 10.5 and wear 9.5UK in cordovan Rain. The heel is bigger than I'd like in general, I had heel slip as the shoes broke in. But now they're very comfortable.

9. AGlorifiedCrew

AGlorifiedCrew Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice! So the 9UK would most likely be way too small, right?

10. dave_rawitat

More than likely. My feet is narrower than yours (10.5D, yours are E) and I don't think 9.5 Rain is too roomy. It is roomy, though.

This is how they fit me. Noticing the almost completely closed V-gap. I could completely close it if I pull them tighter. But it would be less comfortable for me (and my preference of how I like them to fit).

DSCF4524.jpg

11. pstn

pstn New Member

Hi guys,

I currently own a wholecut in the rain last size 9UK which fits perfectly. I'm looking to buy
    https://www.carminashoemaker.com/mto-finished-2198/swan-neck-oxfords-shoes-954

I tried a standard captoe oxford in size 9UK rain last, and it fit perfectly. I then tried a lace up derby boot from the rain last again in size 9 but it was too tight and had to size up to 9.5UK.

The boots looked like this style https://dhb3yazwboecu.cloudfront.net/909/jumper_boots_gray_rusticalf_80179_s.jpg

What would you reccomend for an TMO like the swan neck? Do you think 9UK would be safe since it's an oxford?

Thanks

12. Canadianguy

Canadianguy Senior Member

Looking to pick up my second pair of Carminas. I currently have a pair of wholecuts on rain last in 6.5 UK. They are wearable but really tight all over, especially over the instep.

Wondering if I should size up .5 and/or try a different last. Trying on is not possible where I am. Any suggestions appreciated.

13. dave_rawitat

Considering that Rain has considerably high instep and quite generous fitting already, compared to many other lasts (at least in my experience), I would suggest sizing up by 0.5 from what you have “for most Carmina lasts” (and 1 if you go Simpson).

That means I would suggsst 7UK Rain, Inca, Forest, Buger, 7.5 Simpson. Maybe you can go 6.5 Soller and Detroit, but I’m not sure about the instep of these two for this case).

14. Canadianguy

Canadianguy Senior Member

Hey thanks for the advice. Very helpful!

15. JJRADICK

JJRADICK Senior Member

I also have several pairs of Carmina Rain lasted shoes. They fit diferently as well. I believe it's a quality control issue. I have the EXACT same pairs of shoes in different color but some fit loosely, some are little tight.