1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Official Carmina Sizing Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Mar 5, 2012.

1. trevorplease

trevorplease Senior Member

Anyone here have experience with the Arta last? Compared to uetam? I’m assuming same size

2. bennanza

bennanza Member

Thanks for the info!
    In my case, the simpson is a calf chelsea boot and fits me perfectly in 8.5. The Inca is a shell monkstrap and I had to size down to 8 as i experienced strong heelslip with 8.5 most likely because the shoe is hard. 8 fits well but tight, I actually had to slightly stretch the toebox on my right foot. In my experience a snug leather shoe (doesnt matter what leather) will always eventually fit, but the length must fit.
    In your case it sounds as if the 9.5 Uetam will work perfectly eventually - even though you've got a simpson 10 so yeah.. not gonna be easy.

3. jet-stream

jet-stream Distinguished Member

I’ll probably get the 9.5 Uetam there, but will never be as good as Simpson fit for me. If you take the plunge, I’d go same size as Simpson based on the info above.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018

4. propane

propane New Member

Somewhere in here I read CJ 363 = INCA. Other opinions? From what I can find about these lasts at both their websites they do not seem very similar at all. I need something like the 363. Wouldn’t mind a tighter heel and less volume over the toes though (flat).

5. zzzJooob

zzzJooob New Member

Hello,

I’m planning (dreaming about) my spring purchase and are looking at https://www.carminashoemaker.com/mens-derby-shoes/norwegian-shoes-brown-leather

I have a pair of Oxfords in Forest-EE last and I love the roomy toe-box but they are a bit snug over the instep.

So the question exactly how is the Forest-EEE wider than the EE? Is the heal wider? Instep? I guess the EEE must be wider across the ball?

Hope anyone here can enlighten me :)

Cheers

6. charles

charles Member

Dear All,

I'm fine with Soller UK 10. What size would you suggest for Simpson and Costix ?

Thank you
    Best regards

7. freshstyle

freshstyle Senior Member

Help with Oscar last.

I'm a 7 in Inca and Rain. Inca fits well. I have 3 pairs of rain and they all fit different. 1 is tight and the other 2 are looser.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018

8. jet-stream

Define “fine”. Does soller fit you perfectly? Is the lacing gap normal, closed, etc? Do you have more room than you need anywhere?

If soller fits you perfectly, you would probably have to go up 1/2 size for Simpson. Depends on the details, of course. Rain would give you a look similar to Simpson but a fit fairly close to soller (a little different in the toe box). I have no experience with costix.

9. jet-stream

Can’t explain the rain variation - are they different styles of shoe? Bluchers/Derbies often fit me looser than closed-laced shoes.

Oscar should fit fairly similar to Inca. Oscar might be a smidge tighter across the ball of the foot and in the instep, but it’s likely your Inca size would work well.

10. zzzJooob

zzzJooob New Member

Anyone?

Best regards

11. dave_rawitat

dave_rawitat Active Member

Hi gents,

I have a question regarding Inca last. Double Monk Inca, to be exact.

I recently tried Double Monk Inca 9.5, and have a *little bit* of heel slip (little, really, but a heel slip nonetheless). I tighten the 2nd strap (closer to ankle) to the tightest hole, leave the toe-side strap in the middle hole.

The overall fits is OK. Apart from the heel slip everything feels good. Not feeling roomy in any way/sense. But not anywhere close to "snug" either. It feels like it's loosely hugging my feet.

Now the question: What would Double Monk in "Inca 9" feels like? Would it be too tight? If comparing "9.5 in tightest strap holes" and "9 in loosest strap holes", would it (kinda) fit? Or would it be too small?

The thing is, there's a pair that I like to buy, but it's in Inca 9, and I can't try it in person.

Thank you very much.

=========
    For your information: I'm usually good with Rain 9.5, Simpson 10, Soller 9, Forest 9.5. So, pretty normal, I think. For Rain 9.5 Oxfords, I can generally tight the lace without visible “V” (completely closed). I also have Simpson 9.5, which I had to stretch a bit, and I also have Detroit 9, which is OK size-wise, but I just don't like how it fits me.

And, for the US/Brannock, I'm on the smaller side of 10.5 D (I mean, I can some times squeeze my feet into 10.5C and 10D without much complains, 10E is generally OK with me).

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018

12. jet-stream

Jooob - I have zero experience with extended widths in forest. In my experience with other makers, everything is bigger (width at toes and heel, slightly higher cone).

I bet @Carmina can answer definitively.

13. jet-stream

Dave,
    Big disclaimer: I don’t fully understand your Carmina sizing, especially if you feel all those fit well. I’m going to ignore Simpson and Forest - the Rain data point confirms for me that 9.5 in EE (like Rain and Inca) is too much volume. Soller is fairly similar to Inca for me, so that is promising if you want a 9. In the same size (Soller is an E But is on the big side), the toe boxes would be fairly similar (Soller may be a bit fuller) and Inca would have a bigger heel. I think 9 may work well from a volume standpoint. 50/50 on whether it would work in the toes - that would be my main concern.

For reference, I’m a 10 in Simpson and they fit me perfectly. In Inca, I need a thin insole for a good fit (even then I go to the third hole in one of the upper straps). I have considered trying a 9.5 in Inca - decent chance they would work, but it would be close in the toes.

14. dave_rawitat

Thank you, @jet-stream !!

50/50 with concern around toe area is my thought as well. After I had to stretch my Simpson 9.5 a bit (but I love Simpson 10), I always chicken out on those 50/50 chance ..... maybe I'd have to bite the bullet this time around. Will see.

15. dave_rawitat

Update:

I chatted with Carmina's representatives on their website today, and was informed that "Inca 9 would be just a little smaller than Rain 9.5, 1mm shorter and 1mm narrower".

So, to answer my own question, I think Inca 9 should be OK with me.