• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

halcyondays

Reaction score
Hiya everyone,
interested in the Jodhpurs on the Forest last but unfortunately can't try them out in store in my country. Coming from C&J with a fairly narrow midfoot and a low instep:
C&J 341, 348, 360 - 7.5UK fit nicely.
Red Wings 8 - 8.5 US I use insoles for to compensate for the low instep (and I like them a bit snug).

Would love some input regarding the Forest/Rain/Simpson last. Only looking at boots for now to be worn in winter, so will wear some medium-thick darn tough socks.

Thanks in advance!

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hiya everyone,
interested in the Jodhpurs on the Forest last but unfortunately can't try them out in store in my country. Coming from C&J with a fairly narrow midfoot and a low instep:
C&J 341, 348, 360 - 7.5UK fit nicely.
Red Wings 8 - 8.5 US I use insoles for to compensate for the low instep (and I like them a bit snug).

Would love some input regarding the Forest/Rain/Simpson last. Only looking at boots for now to be worn in winter, so will wear some medium-thick darn tough socks.

Thanks in advance!
You will be 7.5uk for all, Simpson is on narrow side. Most people size up by half. But since you are on narrow and low instep side. Stick to same size for all last. At least I take same for all of them. Best is to try them on specially Simpson last.

Reaction score
I have a pair of RTW Derby Rain UK 8.5. The instep is a little tight, but if I where them loose I'm okay. How is the instep "measured" on a Derby ? Is the default size all the way closed ?

I want to get a boot with overall same fit as Rain but with just a little more generous instep. But im not sure what the best last for that is. Especially since im unsure on how in instep is measure and compare between a derby and a Jodhpur.

bennanza

Reaction score
Considering the MTO weekend: any ideas on the UETAM last? the INCA last fits me in 8 UK and the SIMPSON in 8.5.
I've heard its best to go with the same size as the simpson?

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uetam is much closer to Simpson than Inca. Based on limited info, I would think 8.5 would be more likely.

However, loafers are tricky, and an MTO may be risky. With that said, I suspect 80% of the time, people go with same size in Uetam and Simpson.

Panthera

Reaction score
I am going to order a pair of Carmina Jumper boots in Soller this weekend.

I have never ordered MTO boots. I have been wearing Designer brands for a decade.

Thus I am lost on sizing. I called Carmina about 10 times today but they never answered their phone.

I generally will always wear a size US 10 in brands like Saint Laurent, or Gucci, or Dior, or Prada. So for Carmina would I be going 9UK? Some sites say a 10US is a 9UK, some say a 10US is a 9.5UK. In 'dress shoes' like Florsheim, I wear a 10E for a perfect fit.

The other factor to consider is they say the Soller is a wider last, and a longer last. So would I also size down a half size to a 8.5UK if I was a 9UK? Or would I just do a 9UK since an E is a better fit?

Does Carmina do exchanges for fitting issues on MTO? There is unfortunately no retailer here in AZ for me to size properly.

I really appreciate the help guys.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m fairly sure that Carmina does not offer refunds on MTOs.

If your US size is 10D, 9 UK would be the best guess.

Soller is fairly normal fitting, though it has a slightly high instep and slightly high volume overall.

I have never ordered MTO boots. I have been wearing Designer brands for a decade.

Thus I am lost on sizing. I called Carmina about 10 times today but they never answered their phone.

I generally will always wear a size US 10 in brands like Saint Laurent, or Gucci, or Dior, or Prada. So for Carmina would I be going 9UK? Some sites say a 10US is a 9UK, some say a 10US is a 9.5UK. In 'dress shoes' like Florsheim, I wear a 10E for a perfect fit.

The other factor to consider is they say the Soller is a wider last, and a longer last. So would I also size down a half size to a 8.5UK if I was a 9UK? Or would I just do a 9UK since an E is a better fit?

Does Carmina do exchanges for fitting issues on MTO? There is unfortunately no retailer here in AZ for me to size properly.

Panthera

Reaction score
Hi jet-stream, thank you for taking the time.
I can indeed confirm they wont do a refund on MTO. But I was hoping they would do an exchange/remake if sizing was an issue. Though I don't feel they would actually.

So it looks like I am going for a 9UK then. Hopefully all works out.

Thanks again.

dave_rawitat

Reaction score

Generally speaking, 10 US is 9 UK. However, it depends on last. For lasts that fit true-to-size, I think you should go with 9 UK.

Let me share my story a bit. I asked about Soller last in this thread a while ago (and actually made a good purchase afterward). I think you can still search for it (shouldn't be more than a few pages back).

I'm a 10.5D US and I generally have no problem with any shoe that fit true-to-size.
For Carmina, Rain and Forest 9.5 UK fit me very well.
Simpson 9.5 is very very tight. I could get my feet in but it is very uncomfortable. I had to stretch it quite a bit using shoe stretcher. They fit OK now. I ordered another pair with Simpson 10, and they fit very well. So, half-size up for Simpson indeed.
I have a Detroit in 9, which I don't really like the fit. But it fits snuggly, maybe a bit too snug.

Now, the Soller. I was thinking that I should go for 9.5 but it became out of stock by the time I made my decision, but the 9 still available. So I asked here and got the answer from a reputable source saying that "Soller is the wider-fit last, so most of (their) customers do a half-size down".

I ordered a 9, and it fits like a grove.

I'm not saying that you definitely should get the 8.5 Soller, but my gut's telling me that there's a good chance that it will fit better than the 9.

Hope this help.

Panthera

Reaction score
Hi Dave_rawitat, thank you for chiming in.

I am hoping I can get them to answer their phone tomorrow so I can affirm if they will do a remake on sizing issues.

You make a convincing suggestion for the 8.5UK. It was initially my feeling as well.

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am hoping I can get them to answer their phone tomorrow so I can affirm if they will do a remake on sizing issues.

You make a convincing suggestion for the 8.5UK. It was initially my feeling as well.
No shoe brand will do remake on sizing issue. Sizing is your responsibility not the brands. Only way you will get remake. If there is issue with a shoes. Like damage, wrong last etc. Best is to get rtw if it does not work out you lose 25$ vs 400$+ made to order shoe. And good luck.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi jet-stream, thank you for taking the time.
I can indeed confirm they wont do a refund on MTO. But I was hoping they would do an exchange/remake if sizing was an issue. Though I don't feel they would actually.

So it looks like I am going for a 9UK then. Hopefully all works out.

Thanks again.

Generally speaking, 10 US is 9 UK. However, it depends on last. For lasts that fit true-to-size, I think you should go with 9 UK.

Let me share my story a bit. I asked about Soller last in this thread a while ago (and actually made a good purchase afterward). I think you can still search for it (shouldn't be more than a few pages back).

I'm a 10.5D US and I generally have no problem with any shoe that fit true-to-size.
For Carmina, Rain and Forest 9.5 UK fit me very well.
Simpson 9.5 is very very tight. I could get my feet in but it is very uncomfortable. I had to stretch it quite a bit using shoe stretcher. They fit OK now. I ordered another pair with Simpson 10, and they fit very well. So, half-size up for Simpson indeed.
I have a Detroit in 9, which I don't really like the fit. But it fits snuggly, maybe a bit too snug.

Now, the Soller. I was thinking that I should go for 9.5 but it became out of stock by the time I made my decision, but the 9 still available. So I asked here and got the answer from a reputable source saying that "Soller is the wider-fit last, so most of (their) customers do a half-size down".

I ordered a 9, and it fits like a grove.

I'm not saying that you definitely should get the 8.5 Soller, but my gut's telling me that there's a good chance that it will fit better than the 9.

Hope this help.

No shoe brand will do remake on sizing issue. Sizing is your responsibility not the brands. Only way you will get remake. If there is issue with a shoes. Like damage, wrong last etc. Best is to get rtw if it does not work out you lose 25$ vs 400$+ made to order shoe. And good luck.

I agree with TTown’s assessment regarding returns.

Dave’s experience with lasts is probably similar to many. The issue I see is that you don’t have any comparisons to Carmina lasts as a starting point. Soller is somewhat generous-fitting, but all of this depends on your foot, panthera. I’ll also point out that a slightly large size is more tolerable in a boot than a shoe, and can be adjusted with insoles if necessary. You have fewer options with shoes that are too tight.

Bottom line - I would personally start with a stock model and go the MTO route when they next do this promo. If you are set on ordering and MTO, I would personally rather have a boot that is slightly too large than one that is slightly too small.

bennanza

Reaction score
Uetam is much closer to Simpson than Inca. Based on limited info, I would think 8.5 would be more likely.

However, loafers are tricky, and an MTO may be risky. With that said, I suspect 80% of the time, people go with same size in Uetam and Simpson.
Thank you, more or less what i expected. As for many other people, this MTO weekend is not an easy decision. I would love to get one and now is the time, but i have never tried this last and in case, a lot of money is down the drain.
Unfortunately, carmina themself did not respond. In case anyone else has experience on Uetam lasts versus Inca, Simpson or Rain, please describe!

Panthera

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone who chimed in.

I finally got a hold of Carmina and they suggested going with a 9uk if I am a size 10us on a jumper with a Soller. So I pulled the trigger there.

So in about 45 days there might be a pair of Carmina Jumpers in all black suede for sale here. lol.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, more or less what i expected. As for many other people, this MTO weekend is not an easy decision. I would love to get one and now is the time, but i have never tried this last and in case, a lot of money is down the drain.
Unfortunately, carmina themself did not respond. In case anyone else has experience on Uetam lasts versus Inca, Simpson or Rain, please describe!

Inca and Rain are both EE (same as a US E/wide). Simpson and Uetam are both E (US D equivalent), but are on the narrow/low-volume side of normal. Simpson in 10 UK fits me like a dream. Uetam in 10 gives me a tiny bit of heel slip, and 9.5 is rather tight in the toebox (though I have a pair I’m trying to make work).

Ultimately, it depends on why your sizes are different. If you are normally an 8.5 in most shoes and had to size down for Inca, there is a good chance 8.5 would work. However, if you are normally an 8 but had to size up to Simpson because it’s snug, it will be hard to predict. As I mentioned above, it’s risky unless you know your sizing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads