• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mykii

Reaction score

Ali29

Reaction score
If you are a 9D McAllister, I would expect that an 8UK Rain May have too much volume for you. When you are giving the US sizes for the Rain, how are you converting? Minus one size?

If that’s the case, I suspect your best bet would be 8.5 (7.5UK) if there is enough room in the toe box for you.

I should clarify, I already have these shoes in hand. I ordered from Barney’s to try and I’m going to return the ones that didn’t fit. Barney’s only gives US size options so I ordered 8, 8.5, and 9. The 8.5 seems to be best for length but too tight around ball of foot and top of foot. 9 seems to be better in those areas but heels slips.

For me, Rain last has a wider heel than is optimal, but as the shoes break in the heel slip goes away. So if it was minor, 9 might be better for you. If your foot was coming out of the shoe then 9 is probably too big. The instep on Rain is more generous than some other brands, but not significantly so. I'd look at Justin Fitzpatrick's LPB/MGF lasts - his Tony in black could work for your event? Enzo Bonafe and Vass also have higher insteps if you want to look into those.

Do you think the heel slippage is due to width at the heel and not the length?

I tried looking at Vass but couldn’t find any retailers that could deliver within a few days.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should clarify, I already have these shoes in hand. I ordered from Barney’s to try and I’m going to return the ones that didn’t fit. Barney’s only gives US size options so I ordered 8, 8.5, and 9. The 8.5 seems to be best for length but too tight around ball of foot and top of foot. 9 seems to be better in those areas but heels slips.

I tried looking at Vass but couldn’t find any retailers that could deliver within a few days.

Ok - pretty sure Barney’s is minus 1. The heel on rain is massive. It’s also a high instep - surprised both that and AE 65 last work for you. If you can live with 8.5 in the toes I would say go with that. If not, may be time to move on.

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously, no one can answer these questions here?? Two threads and not one response in weeks.

1) How does the Forest last compare to the Soller and/or Rain last? I'm specifically curious about the instep and length comparisons as I'm looking at the Braided Tassel loafers in brown calf on the Forest last and the NST 80414 in polo suede or dark Armagnac shell, also on the Forest.

2) How does the Oscar last compare to the same Soller and/or Rain? I'm interested in the PTB in shell possibly.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously, no one can answer these questions here?? Two threads and not one response in weeks.

1) How does the Forest last compare to the Soller and/or Rain last? I'm specifically curious about the instep and length comparisons as I'm looking at the Braided Tassel loafers in brown calf on the Forest last and the NST 80414 in polo suede or dark Armagnac shell, also on the Forest.

2) How does the Oscar last compare to the same Soller and/or Rain? I'm interested in the PTB in shell possibly.

Marker, apologies - I lost track of this.

1). Forest is a lot like Soller but lower instep. Soller is about halfway between Forest and Rain for instep. Forest has a more generous toebox than Rain but a smaller heel.

2) Oscar is a lot like Forest, but with a bigger heel. Not as big as rain, other than that see notes above.

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Marker, apologies - I lost track of this.

1). Forest is a lot like Soller but lower instep. Soller is about halfway between Forest and Rain for instep. Forest has a more generous toebox than Rain but a smaller heel.

2) Oscar is a lot like Forest, but with a bigger heel. Not as big as rain, other than that see notes above.
Thanks buds! That's very helpful info and actually exactly what I wanted to hear. Sounds like I would be good with the same size as my Soller in both.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks buds! That's very helpful info and actually exactly what I wanted to hear. Sounds like I would be good with the same size as my Soller in both.

Unless the soller is on the tight side in the cone I think same size should work.

Capgreed

Reaction score
I actually picked the first pair that went up last Friday!

Carmina must be clearing some stock? Since these are almost never in the outlet, and now suddenly there are multiple pairs in the most common sizes. I've noticed the 9.5s have been replenished at least 3 times now that I can count (I check pretty religiously...).

Want my guess about it ?
Maybe stock from French and German Carmina boutiques returning to their Spain stock slowly ...
There are models that sell very well in usa , that doesn't do so well in europe you know , I mean I dunno if you ever went to Paris , but the style here is very very very classical ( black , brown , grey , the story ends there ) , in Paris people would get suicide thoughts for beeing too noticeable ( I'm French by the way , so yeah , I know lol ) ....

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, I'm a 10.5D/E and take a 9.5UK in Rain. The heel slip is because of the heel width for me. And there's no real inwards taper at the topline to hug your ankle and keep it in the shoe. The Rain length for me is perfect. When you walk (hard to do with shoes your just trying on without trying to crease them I know), how much does your heel raise in the shoe? Are the facings closed all the way? If you can lace them all the way closed and your foot is still slipping significantly I'd say it's the wrong size. Enzo Bonafe via Skoak would get to you in a few days, JFitzpatrick as well. Not sure how Lof and Tung via Skoak compares in the instep but they might have something too, but that's buying blind also.

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I'm a 10.5D/E and take a 9.5UK in Rain. The heel slip is because of the heel width for me. And there's no real inwards taper at the topline to hug your ankle and keep it in the shoe. The Rain length for me is perfect. When you walk (hard to do with shoes your just trying on without trying to crease them I know), how much does your heel raise in the shoe? Are the facings closed all the way? If you can lace them all the way closed and your foot is still slipping significantly I'd say it's the wrong size. Enzo Bonafe via Skoak would get to you in a few days, JFitzpatrick as well. Not sure how Lof and Tung via Skoak compares in the instep but they might have something too, but that's buying blind also.
I would agree about the Rain heel being larger than optimal with no real inwards taper at the topline to hug your ankle. For me, the length on my Rain shoe is perfect and the shoe is super comfortable. It's just that the heel offers no security.

gianm

Reaction score
Hi guys, first post. I would like some sizing advice. I'm interested in getting my first pair of Carmina's. I'm specifically looking at some loafers on the Uetam last. I'm a size 8.5D on Brannock, 7.5UK on Meermin's Hiro, and an 8E on Allen Edmond's 65 last. I'd say I have medium arches and a mid-high instep (had to go up a width in the AE 65 because of this).

Would a 7UK or 7.5UK fit better? I'd prefer limited heel slip for the loafer. If anyone could suggest sizing for the Inca last too, that would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, first post. I would like some sizing advice. I'm interested in getting my first pair of Carmina's. I'm specifically looking at some loafers on the Uetam last. I'm a size 8.5D on Brannock, 7.5UK on Meermin's Hiro, and an 8E on Allen Edmond's 65 last. I'd say I have medium arches and a mid-high instep (had to go up a width in the AE 65 because of this).

Would a 7UK or 7.5UK fit better? I'd prefer limited heel slip for the loafer. If anyone could suggest sizing for the Inca last too, that would be much appreciated.

For Inca, 7.5 would work pretty well I think. Less sure about Uetam - the instep is fairly low, not dissimilar to 65. 65 runs long, so I would guess 7.5 for Uetam as well, but may be tight across the ball of the foot.

QP3

Reaction score
Rain vs Queens last sizing?

Hi guys, I'm considering pulling the trigger on a pair of Carmina Short-Wing Derbys (style 815) listed here on this fine site.

I have two other pairs of Carminas, whole-cut oxfords and swan neck oxfords, both on the Rain last, both size 9 (UK), both fit like a glove, snug but not painful. The swan necks are a bit tighter on my little toe, but I expect that will relax with time. The heel can at times be a tad loose as other's have mentioned, but it hasn't been an issue for me.

There isn't much info about the Queens last on the Carmina site or elsewhere, so I wanted to ask here if anyone who has compared them can comment. Will a 9 fit pretty much the same in a Queens last as Rain, or should I move up/down half a size?

Thanks,
QP3

spookie

Reaction score
I have a high instep and own the below (dress socks):
C&J 325 calf derby- 6.5E is perfect
C&J 341 calf loafer - 6.5E is perfect
C&J 341 suede Chelsea - 6.5E a bit of slip but better with thicker socks
Meermin Elton calf oxford - 7E hardly worn but ok so far.
Carmina Simpson calf chukka - 7E is quite snug. Tough after 10 hrs of wear
Alden 1492 suede chukka - 7.5E. Ok with thick socks.
Carmina rain calf oxford - 6.5E. Best fitting last for me.
C&J 376 suede loafer - 6.5E. still new with a bit of heel slip. Hope it improves as sole breaks in.
RM Williams 534 yearling comfort craftsman Chelsea - 6.5G. Gosh! these are an amazing fit once broken in.
Carmina forest.....hoping to find out if 6.5E is good...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads