• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

***The Official Cardigan Thread***

TotesMcGotes

Reaction score
Where can a pleb like myself find Inverallen now that I can't order it MTM

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cardip.jpg

Vicarius

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TotesMcGotes
Where can a pleb like myself find Inverallen now that I can't order it MTM

themandonstore.com still has a few, kinda expensive though compared to what they used to cost

.Impulsv

Reaction score
Hello thread! I'm looking to buy my first cardigan. To be more specific...
- mid-weight, chunkier knit, something I could wear instead of a winter-weight sportcoat.
- navy or midnight blue, not too picky.
- white accents (trim, patterns, etc.)
- preferably between $150 and $300 dollars, but am flexible.

Any suggestions?

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chasingred
camelcardigan.jpg

I thought this was nice when I saw it in the Billy Reid store in Charlotte. Not my style, but nice.

HarrisonK

Reaction score
I have not looked through all the pages of this thread so I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but, I personally was never a fan of cardigans until I bought a shawl collar cardigan from Rugby and I really love it. It goes with just about anything and can be dressed up or down. Please excuse the low quality pictures.
Photoon2011-01-05at1440.jpg
Photoon2011-01-05at13442.jpg
pPOLO2-8285825_lifestyle_t208.jpg

cowsareforeating

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HarrisonK
I have not looked through all the pages of this thread so I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but, I personally was never a fan of cardigans until I bought a shawl collar cardigan from Rugby and I really love it. It goes with just about anything and can be dressed up or down. Please excuse the low quality pictures.

i know you werent looking for fit advice... but dont button the bottom button, it makes your body look like a box... its neither long nor short... and you need a haircut. EDIT: and learn to tie a tie -_____- and i dont think rugby is an especially appreciated brand here. other than that yay cardigans.

HarrisonK

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cowsareforeating
i know you werent looking for fit advice... but dont button the bottom button, it makes your body look like a box... its neither long nor short... and you need a haircut.
EDIT: and learn to tie a tie -_____-

and i dont think rugby is an especially appreciated brand here.

other than that yay cardigans.

I think my tie is tied fine, its just not tight around my neck since I had just got home from work and was about to take it off.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll buy that its loose because you're about to take it off, but that knot is disgustingly fat. Learn to tie a tie.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think my tie is tied fine, its just not tight around my neck since I had just got home from work and was about to take it off.
No, it's not. There is the art of matching the knot of the tie to the collar type. Also, matching the composition of the tie to go with the occasion.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I have not looked through all the pages of this thread so I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but, I personally was never a fan of cardigans until I bought a shawl collar cardigan from Rugby and I really love it. It goes with just about anything and can be dressed up or down.

Please excuse the low quality pictures.

Alright sir you're going to have to come with me.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's an art to matching knots to collar types, but something that big should only be worn with a spread collar. Depending on what you're wearing, however, you might even still want to stick with a four in hand when wearing a spread collar. The Windsor you're wearing should only be done with great, great care, and frankly, you look too novice to be trying out stuff like that. That knot is ostentatious and vulgar; just wear a four in hand next time.

Also, not a fan of how huge and thick that shawl is. It doesn't match your body frame. Try to go with something a little more subtle and classy.

Lastly, don't match your ties to your cardigan. Make your pieces complementary and distinct.

HarrisonK

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chasingred
There's an art to matching knots to collar types, but something that big should only be worn with a spread collar. Depending on what you're wearing, however, you might even still want to stick with a four in hand when wearing a spread collar. The Windsor you're wearing should only be done with great, great care, and frankly, you look too novice to be trying out stuff like that. That knot is ostentatious and vulgar; just wear a four in hand next time.

Also, not a fan of how huge and thick that shawl is. It doesn't match your body frame. Try to go with something a little more subtle and classy.

Lastly, don't match your ties to your cardigan. Make your pieces complementary and distinct.

Thanks for the insight. I suppose you're right about not using a windsor for that collar, I never thought of that. Its a lot more helpful when you to say, your knot is entirely to big, then when other people say "learn to tie a tie."

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The wardrobe demands that I have them ... and I do wear them ... casually around the house ... but not out.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight. I suppose you're right about not using a windsor for that collar, I never thought of that. Its a lot more helpful when you to say, your knot is entirely to big, then when other people say "learn to tie a tie."
People can get overly snarky on SF, and new members tend to get special thrashings. If you can survive through it, there's a lot of information to be had here. Generally, you want to stick with the four in hand. You also want your tie to complement what you're wearing, but neither clash or overly match (no grey on grey). One easy way to do this is to pick ties that have a small secondary color, and then match things to that secondary color. You can also complement things through textures (such as pairing a raw silk tie with a merino cardigan). However, you should probably just start with the basics in colors. Also, I personally would advise also not wearing ties unless the occasion calls for it, otherwise it comes off as a fashion accessory. What you decide to wear each day should be somewhat functional and appropriate to your situation. Ties are a nice entry way into dressing well, but you should learn other ways of dressing better than don't involve ties. I recommend you buy a copy of Esquire's Handbook of Style. It'll be a good introduction to some of these things. (As an aside, SWD folks will give me **** for trying to provide "rules" on such things, but I think for someone like you, it might help to get some guidelines down first. You can branch out and break rules later, but you should at least know some of the basics before you do).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads