1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The Official Cardigan Thread***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Sep 20, 2006.

1. TotesMcGotes

TotesMcGotes Well-Known Member

Where can a pleb like myself find Inverallen now that I can't order it MTM

2. chasingred

chasingred Well-Known Member

3. Vicarius

Vicarius Well-Known Member

Where can a pleb like myself find Inverallen now that I can't order it MTM

themandonstore.com still has a few, kinda expensive though compared to what they used to cost

4. .Impulsv

.Impulsv Well-Known Member

Hello thread! I'm looking to buy my first cardigan. To be more specific...
    - mid-weight, chunkier knit, something I could wear instead of a winter-weight sportcoat.
    - navy or midnight blue, not too picky.
    - white accents (trim, patterns, etc.)
    - preferably between $150 and $300 dollars, but am flexible.

Any suggestions?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. ahjota

ahjota Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I thought this was nice when I saw it in the Billy Reid store in Charlotte. Not my style, but nice.

6. HarrisonK

HarrisonK Well-Known Member

I have not looked through all the pages of this thread so I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but, I personally was never a fan of cardigans until I bought a shawl collar cardigan from Rugby and I really love it. It goes with just about anything and can be dressed up or down. Please excuse the low quality pictures. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. cowsareforeating

cowsareforeating Well-Known Member

I have not looked through all the pages of this thread so I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but, I personally was never a fan of cardigans until I bought a shawl collar cardigan from Rugby and I really love it. It goes with just about anything and can be dressed up or down. Please excuse the low quality pictures. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    i know you werent looking for fit advice... but dont button the bottom button, it makes your body look like a box... its neither long nor short... and you need a haircut. EDIT: and learn to tie a tie -_____- and i dont think rugby is an especially appreciated brand here. other than that yay cardigans.

8. HarrisonK

i know you werent looking for fit advice... but dont button the bottom button, it makes your body look like a box... its neither long nor short... and you need a haircut.
    EDIT: and learn to tie a tie -_____-

and i dont think rugby is an especially appreciated brand here.

other than that yay cardigans.

I think my tie is tied fine, its just not tight around my neck since I had just got home from work and was about to take it off.

9. ahjota

ahjota Well-Known Member

I'll buy that its loose because you're about to take it off, but that knot is disgustingly fat. Learn to tie a tie.

10. wj4

wj4 Well-Known Member

I think my tie is tied fine, its just not tight around my neck since I had just got home from work and was about to take it off.
    No, it's not. There is the art of matching the knot of the tie to the collar type. Also, matching the composition of the tie to go with the occasion.

11. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

I have not looked through all the pages of this thread so I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but, I personally was never a fan of cardigans until I bought a shawl collar cardigan from Rugby and I really love it. It goes with just about anything and can be dressed up or down.

Please excuse the low quality pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Alright sir you're going to have to come with me.

12. chasingred

There's an art to matching knots to collar types, but something that big should only be worn with a spread collar. Depending on what you're wearing, however, you might even still want to stick with a four in hand when wearing a spread collar. The Windsor you're wearing should only be done with great, great care, and frankly, you look too novice to be trying out stuff like that. That knot is ostentatious and vulgar; just wear a four in hand next time.

Also, not a fan of how huge and thick that shawl is. It doesn't match your body frame. Try to go with something a little more subtle and classy.

Lastly, don't match your ties to your cardigan. Make your pieces complementary and distinct.

13. HarrisonK

There's an art to matching knots to collar types, but something that big should only be worn with a spread collar. Depending on what you're wearing, however, you might even still want to stick with a four in hand when wearing a spread collar. The Windsor you're wearing should only be done with great, great care, and frankly, you look too novice to be trying out stuff like that. That knot is ostentatious and vulgar; just wear a four in hand next time.

Also, not a fan of how huge and thick that shawl is. It doesn't match your body frame. Try to go with something a little more subtle and classy.

Lastly, don't match your ties to your cardigan. Make your pieces complementary and distinct.

Thanks for the insight. I suppose you're right about not using a windsor for that collar, I never thought of that. Its a lot more helpful when you to say, your knot is entirely to big, then when other people say "learn to tie a tie."

14. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

The wardrobe demands that I have them ... and I do wear them ... casually around the house ... but not out.

15. chasingred

Thanks for the insight. I suppose you're right about not using a windsor for that collar, I never thought of that. Its a lot more helpful when you to say, your knot is entirely to big, then when other people say "learn to tie a tie."
    People can get overly snarky on SF, and new members tend to get special thrashings. If you can survive through it, there's a lot of information to be had here. Generally, you want to stick with the four in hand. You also want your tie to complement what you're wearing, but neither clash or overly match (no grey on grey). One easy way to do this is to pick ties that have a small secondary color, and then match things to that secondary color. You can also complement things through textures (such as pairing a raw silk tie with a merino cardigan). However, you should probably just start with the basics in colors. Also, I personally would advise also not wearing ties unless the occasion calls for it, otherwise it comes off as a fashion accessory. What you decide to wear each day should be somewhat functional and appropriate to your situation. Ties are a nice entry way into dressing well, but you should learn other ways of dressing better than don't involve ties. I recommend you buy a copy of Esquire's Handbook of Style. It'll be a good introduction to some of these things. (As an aside, SWD folks will give me shit for trying to provide "rules" on such things, but I think for someone like you, it might help to get some guidelines down first. You can branch out and break rules later, but you should at least know some of the basics before you do).

16. werdswerf

werdswerf Well-Known Member

NDG x-post from recent purchases

[​IMG]

You buy this from a forum member, or does someplace still have this in stock?

17. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Harrison K ... Eason is right ... use a smaller knot ... you'll look much better.

18. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Well-Known Member

Note to self, use search. Alright since my thread got locked.....

I might be SOL or just too late, but I am looking for a nice heavy cardigan, I saw it here a while ago and I liked it so much I remembered the name. I did a search but no luck, anyone know where I could buy this NDG cardigan?

Or any suggestions on other cardigans similar to the latter would be appreciated.

19. Froosh

Froosh Well-Known Member

Alright, I realize this isn't the right season but anyone know of a nice chunky shawl collar cardigan in cream that is a relaxed fit? I've been eyeing the LL Bean Signature whaler rib but I'm not sure how it fits or how the quality is. (http://www.llbean.com/llbeansignatur...tn&cat4=505934)

20. amstokesdb9

amstokesdb9 Well-Known Member

apparently based on the website reviews, that sweater is approved by 60 year old women