Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official BLUE BLUE JAPAN thread - all things indigo, many things denim!

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 22, 2015.

Tags:
  1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

You have the same problem as me, and we are probably my size but you probably have \ broader shoulders. I'm also a true 40 chest , possibly a little bigger, and I take a size 3 in Blue Blue Japan. My waist is bigger - um, I do have a pretty strong core from years of MMA, but that's not that reason I am wearing a size 33 jean right now. If you have wider shoulder for a size 40, you are going to want to go up a size 4 for the fitted jackets. I have a chore coat in a size 3, and have had to restitch the shoulder seams a couple of times, because the thing was made for someone with the same chest size, but with much smaller back muscles. The oversized coats , on the other hand, like the sashiko long coat from last winter, for example, are truly oversized, including in the arms and shoulders. I've worn that over a pretty substantial leather jacket with room to spare. Of course, wearing those coats fitted (Mr Porter suggested sizing the same as your US size) will throw off all the proportions.

2. soqueriaterum

soqueriaterum Senior Member

Great thread! Thank you for the information about ordering online while the site is down. I've never bought from Japan before. Should I use a proxy or will they ship internationally? Also, maybe someone who has ordered before can tell me if it is possible to have it market as a gift with a lower invoice value.

My first purchase was a hunting jacket from Union Made, size three but I definetly should've gone with a 4 for the same reason as LA Guy. The jacket was followed by sashiko trousers, repaired denim shirt, freaking indigo socks (not a good idea) and an oversized indigo shirt from the Okura store that is tagged "Chiang Mai Deluxe". With a pair of blue slip on I am ready to go all out.

I visited the Okura store last year and did not think I would enjoy it as much as I did. First floor is incredible and the second floor had some cool stuff from Hender Scheme, Alden, and other brands. HRM is also amazing, very funky. I think the SF Visits Blue Blue article sums it up very well!

3. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

No proxy needed! They will ship directly to you. I should note that everyone here should take a look at all the Seilin brands on the HRM site - not just "Okura." I almost walked out of the store with an white (undyed) sashiko shop coat by Gaijin Made that I now intensely regret not buying. There's a lot of coo stuff at Blue Blue and HRM, too.

4. soqueriaterum

soqueriaterum Senior Member

Thanks. The oversized shirt is from Gaijin Made. Had no idea it as another brand.

Found some images of the shop on my phone. Only Okura, because HRM had stricter "No photo!" enforcement:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. round

round Senior Member

Does anyone know of any store in NY that carries blue blue, or any online store besides the okura?

I neeeed to get a patchwork jacket asap

6. LA Guy

Hickoree's carries it.

7. round

round Senior Member

they have a small selection atm. thank you, ill make sure the watch their site

8. jlchau

jlchau Senior Member

@nicelynice Hey when is the MOTO write up coming out? I'm going to Japan soon and am trying to plan accordingly.

9. Spehsmonkey

Spehsmonkey Senior Member

10. Synthese

The former is by "Gaijin Made," and is a different fabric from the Okura sashiko jackets/coats. If it's what I'm thinking of, it has a little bit of stretch in it and is slightly thinner.

11. Spehsmonkey

Spehsmonkey Senior Member

Thanks, was wondering why it's so much cheaper. Seems I'll have to wait for when they release the sashiko with a collar again

12. Synthese

Don't get me wrong, it's still cool stuff - but it's not the heavy sashiko fabric that Fok and I and @soqueriaterum have talked about. Speaking of, I owe him an email.

But the BBJ/Okura hunting jacket, which they do every season, is fantastic.

13. Synthese

Remember, you can make orders via email!

@Spehsmonkey the sashiko jackets are available again, and with the yen as it is now it's a pretty fantastic deal. They will likely move quickly.

My other picks:

Stretch cotton suede Atelier Coat - this is a really nice, lightweight piece. Perfect for gardening or stunting on fools. You can find matching trousers for this, I believe.

Diamond quilted coat: currently backordered/coming soon, but a beautiful garment.

Indigo pile fleece sweatshirt: Blue Blue Japan does some really cool knits every season, and this one has some nice quirky textures for you and is most likely just as comfy as it looks.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015

14. TokyoRevelation

TokyoRevelation Active Member

Just found this thread - I had no idea you could buy Blue Blue Japan products online from outside Japan on the Seilin shop. Will have to keep this in mind. Had only ever bought their pieces from Hickorees Floor Two and online from End Clothing. End announced they're getting an allotment from Blue Blue in the next week or so - is not so bad to buy from them as they offer free international delivery, and you don't have to pay VAT if you're delivering outside the EU.

I was able to go to the Blue Blue shop in Daikanyama and their satellite at Narita Airport T1, had a lot of great stuff there, and like Synthese said the Yen rate vs. the US$ makes their stuff much easier on the pocketbook.

15. LA Guy

Used to be that you could order directly from the webstore rather than have to send an email, but the Japanese webstore still has a much better selection, regardless of price. This season, I'm stoked about shawl collar vest that is not yet available (http://www.hrm-eshop.com/ja-jp/p/product/700048780), and the quilted sashiko coat.