1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Beer Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by DNW, Jul 20, 2007.

1. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

KBS is long gone. Release is in march I believe. I will be buying the limit come march. I might be able to get another bottle. All those bottles came from someone on this very thread. cough cough tooch.

The barrel 4th is out of this world. It's fucking awesome. And those raspberry eisbocks will garner me ones first born.

2. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Damn, which is the bourbon stout you had mentioned was coming out soon?

3. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

I bought the bourbon (barrel) aged ale today. It's called barrel aged 4th dementia. This stuff is unreal. It's so good.

If we talked about it a couple nights ago, it might have been KBS, which is released in march.

There is also an aged alenfrom he'brew that you might like.

4. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Senior member

Yeah, I will just let you know that's an '09 KBS which took me forever to get, I would've sent you to Plinys, but I needed one for that KBS. I am going to work on getting some more later in January from a guy I've done some trading with out in Cali. I am going to suggest you drink the Pliny, Daisy Cutter and Moon Man now because all are fresh (well the Pliny is on the border), you want all that hoppy goodness. The pumpkin ale, wheat beer and the beer from Florida are just some random extras I threw in, I've had them all before and the last thing I need is more beer! That box is nothing compared to the next one you've got coming, I hop you like fruit beers, hops and coffee (not all together of course)...

5. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

lets vow not to get this off the first page. some holiday brews.

New Glarus Moon Man - very drinkable pale ale. lots of citrus with a refreshing finish. could drink a bunch of these in a night.
    [​IMG]

Pliny the Elder - another pale ale that is well balanced. again, lots of citrus notes with a smooth finish. not sure if it warrants all the hype beer nerds give this, because it is JUST beer, but it is damn good.
    [​IMG]

Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock - local brewery. this was brewed once in 2007 and has been bottled every winter since. neat packaging with the waxed dipped cap. people go nuts over this shit. while i can appreciate people's hobbies (since all of us hear have an affinity for the finer things in life) I don't see the ridiculous hype. Don't get me wrong, the beer is very good. Reminds me of chocolate raspberry cake. Not too chocolately and not too raspberry-y. for being 13.5% abv, you can't taste the alcohol. this is definitely a sipper. I should've waited until it warmed up a bit because it seemed to open up the more I drank it. I wish it came in a bigger bottle (6.3oz)
    [​IMG]

6. ama

ama Senior member

This showed up out of nowhere at my liquor store on Friday. It didn't stay there long though. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. word

word Senior member

I've always been content with Newcastle Brown Ale or Guinness of any kind. I mean, it's nice to have some obscure beer* or whatever but that stuff can't be found as easily as I would like. Go into any bar or store and it's got Newcastle and or Guinness so...

*I admit my favorite is Foothills Torch Pilsner. But I live within walking distance of Foothills Brewing so that makes it easy to get. [​IMG] And it's actually served in a number of bars around the state too.

8. illeagle

illeagle Senior member

Smithwicks and Blue Moon as far as affordable stuff to drink on the regular

Trappistes Rochefort 8 for something to thoroughly enjoy

9. MrGoodBytes

MrGoodBytes Senior member

had southern tier's Old Man Winter the other night. Now I usually avoid the Old Ale varieties, but this one was quite good and while it was strong, it was not over powering.

Also had Two Brothers Dog Days (its a dortmunder) which I dont think they have brewed this season but it still tasted very fresh... actually this was a beer I hadn't had for 3 years and last time around was the WORST BEER I HAD EVER HAD... it straight up tasted like wet dog. I'm happy to say that I think something was wrong with those bottles and that it is actually a solid beer.

10. cday

cday New Member

I love hefeweizen's. My current fave is Schneider Weisse.

[​IMG]

11. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

currently drinking Dogfishhead World Wide Stout. This is officially the strongest beer I've ever had at 18%. It's pretty good but really needs some more age on it.

12. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

I've drinking plenty o' Pliny on tap and my local pub's had Ballast Point "Sculpin" IPA on cask as well. Ballast Point and Ale Smith are one of the many reasons why this town is a hop head's mecca!

13. notalwaysrig

notalwaysrig Active Member

Hello: Question to the Original Poster: ?...Where is home that you can't get guiness?.... I think that a good beer, to just have sitting in the fridge could be... Dos Equis Lager pacifico[​IMG] newcastle bush light + a million others... In Europe: - "San Miguel". My suggestions for a little level 2 sippage: Chimay. Youngs double chocolate stout. samuel tadcaster's oatmeal stout. Guiness. Pilsner urquell. Grolsh. Spaten..mmm....etc...now i'm just rambling. Stell, if the tap is at the right temp. -happy holiday.s

14. shanker

shanker Well-Known Member

I've drinking plenty o' Pliny on tap and my local pub's had Ballast Point "Sculpin" IPA on cask as well. Ballast Point and Ale Smith are one of the many reasons why this town is a hop head's mecca!

just a guess, but i assume you reside in SD?

lots of wild brews here for sure.

15. shanker

Pliny the Elder - another pale ale that is well balanced. again, lots of citrus notes with a smooth finish. not sure if it warrants all the hype beer nerds give this, because it is JUST beer, but it is damn good.

for the record, its a dbl. ipa, not a pa.

awesome nonetheless. one of my favorite ipa's....next to the younger.

if you are a hophead, pliny is a must try! triple "c's" too the extreme!

16. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Right now: Bell's Expedition Stout.

Delicious

17. shanker

sharing a la fin du monde now (previously mentioned) - cloudy, belgium-style w/ a citrus and champagne finish, spiced w/ peppery grapes.

cool it comes from canada. [​IMG]

unibroue has figured it out.

18. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

just a guess, but i assume you reside in SD?

lots of wild brews here for sure.

Affirmative and correct.

19. eglbc

eglbc Senior member

[​IMG]

Gave this a whirl while back on the east coast.
    An easy to drink, smooth winter time stout. Very dark, little head. Silky and malty.
    While its not anything revolutionary I recommend for stout fans.

20. Willie5566

Willie5566 Senior member

Time to send this pack to page 1.

All the talk about KBS got my attention. So with a little research I found a distributor in state that sells founders. Unfortunately, it appears KBS is a seasonal which is due out in a couple of weeks. So I opt for some of Founders other choices as it appears thy make some good beer. I picked up a 6 pack each of this:

[​IMG]

The IPA was the better of the two. I will say that i was not prepared for either of these beers. Very strong flavor and heavier than I am used too. Still, I am curious to check out KBS and see if the hype is real.

Great thread. Looking forward to hearing some other suggestions to try.