Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Beer Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by DNW, Jul 20, 2007.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I was at a cub's game this week, and had an Old Style beer from a can - the first time I've had a beer from a car since I visited Matt, and the second time in the past 5 years or more.

not bad, nothing I would go out of my way to drink, but I guess the perfect type of beer to have on a hot evening while watching a baseball game and eating a hot dog with everything.

2. Bandwagonesque

Bandwagonesque Senior member

I am surprised you find it nasty. It seems to me to be designed to be as unobjectionable as possible.

I've always thought that Becks was the most watered down, blandest tasting beer in existence. It's not bad if the temps are 30C+ and I'm at a BBQ. If I'm sitting down and wanting to enjoy my beer, there are a lot better choices out there.

I know a lot of people who don't like Guinness. It's like the red and white wine divide. I can tolerate white, but cannot stomach red; but then, I'm not really a wine drinker.

3. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I am surprised you find it nasty. It seems to me to be designed to be as unobjectionable as possible.

I don't really like beers that are too light I suppose and this one is just too light and weird tasting. Common beers that I won't drink: Bud, Coors, Rolling Rock, any "light' beer. I drink Becks, Heineken, Fosters, Sam Adams, Saporo, etc.

I didn't realize those were bland. But, if beers like Heineken and Becks can be described as bland (as they were) then I suppose I like bland beers.

EDIT: I should also add that I drink beer as a regular thing. I don't like to squish it around my mouth and savor the flavor of the hops. I don't care for the "rich wheaty flavor" or "aromatic taste with a hint of [enter weird mountain herb]." I like to come home, open up a cold one, eat a steak and watch a game. I guess my bland beers do that job just fine.

4. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I've always thought that Becks was the most watered down, blandest tasting beer in existence. It's not bad if the temps are 30C+ and I'm at a BBQ. If I'm sitting down and wanting to enjoy my beer, there are a lot better choices out there.

LOL, reminds me of what my college roommate used to say about Weidemann's: "If it's really, really cold and you drink it really fast, it's not that bad at all."

5. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I went to a microbrewery once and tried one of their special beers. They served it warm and all that. I thought it tasted like ass, so I went down the street to a regular bar and asked for a cold Becks. That's how I roll.

6. visionology

visionology Senior member

Fosters to me always tastes warm no matter how cold it is.

7. romafan

romafan Senior member

Usually, my faves are Stella or Guinness, but when I can get my hands on some Windhoek Lager from Namibia, I would say that is the best and my favorite.

Trappiste Rochefort. A man has to have a good beer source.

At a cafe I might have a Meteor, because I like the name.

I am a big white beer fan - mostly blue moon now, hogarten when available, some of the whites out of munich, when available.

my absolute favorite is alt beer, from a real barrel - when they pour the beer with gravity.

Duvel
    Schneider Aventinus
    Sierra PA
    Arrogant Bastard/Double Bastard
    Anchor Steam
    Spaten Weisse
    Ommegang
    Fin du Monde
    Samuel Smiths oatmeal stout

I can say that guinness categorically tastes like watered down ashtray rinse to me. Heineken is one of the most hein-ous beers in america. I would only drink it if I was in viet nam and it was served over ice. Asahi or the other japanese lagers are only good with food, I would not choose to drink it alone, although Kuronaga is good. Blue Moon tastes like Ommegang mixed with Evian, yuck.

www.innisandgunn.com tried it once and have never looked back. TASTY.

I would add any Chouffe to the list, Hefeweissbier Dunkel if you can find it on tap (The Saloon in DC is a good place), and Saison Dupont with food.

Tarmac, great choice with the Aventinus--incredible beer. Same with the Spaten and the Sam Smith stout for that matter.

EDIT: Goose Island makes great beer for their price. And the Reserves are also worth looking into--the Bourbon County Stout is one of the best and strangest "beers" I've ever had.

8. Bandwagonesque

Bandwagonesque Senior member

LOL, reminds me of what my college roommate used to say about Weidemann's: "If it's really, really cold and you drink it really fast, it's not that bad at all."

My friends and I use to put bottles of Kokanee in the freezer, take them out, and then shotgun it. It was probably the only way I could finish a bottle of that stuff.

9. vaclava krishna

vaclava krishna Senior member

I am with sadness not, to read more Pilsner U. , or any, Staropramen .

10. vaclava krishna

vaclava krishna Senior member

And for Ronald L.' s piano, man at Cafe Sabarsky (of Austria), Gosser.

11. migo

migo Senior member

hoegaarden is my current favorite.

Anyone every had a brass monkey? (drink a 40 down to the label, fill it back up with orange juice)...it becomes the biggest alcoholic orange soda ever...a tasty way to get messed up (extremely cheap too, used to do it all the time freshmen year of college)

12. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

You roll like a Beck's marketing associate?

Anything's OK if it's cold enough. Even -shudder- Coors light.

As a freshman, I once traded a CD for two Steel Reserve 22s and a Bud Light 22. I'm better, now.

13. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I went to a microbrewery once and tried one of their special beers. They served it warm and all that. I thought it tasted like ass, so I went down the street to a regular bar and asked for a cold Becks. That's how I roll.
    +1. Here we have been inundated with Anchor Fart for years and it is undrinkable.

14. dah328

dah328 Senior member

You're right, as usual. [​IMG]
    I don't know where you hang out. For all but four or five (several were added while my post was being written) I could name several different NYC bars that serve it.

15. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

You roll like a Beck's marketing associate?

Anything's OK if it's cold enough. Even -shudder- Coors light.

As a freshman, I once traded a CD for two Steel Reserve 22s and a Bud Light 22. I'm better, now.

Oh, I'm sorry - I guess if someone prefers a regular beer instead of Old Chavenauflickmynutsafarragen then they must be a marketing associate. [​IMG]