• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Beer Thread

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
These beer threads always turn into a contest of who can name the most exotic, never heard of, "this guy must really know what he's talking about" beers out there.

Sounds a little like WAYWN (moreso in SW&D than MC).

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My overall favorite is probably Schneider und Sohne Kristalweissen, with a lemon. Damn near impossible to find in the US, though one can find other Schneider beers and other Kristalweissen. I've never had a Kristalweissen I didn't love, but they're hard to find.

As for what I generally buy, if Pilsner Urquell's on sale I'll get it. If not I'll generally take home Trader Joe's house-brand Vienna Lager. It tastes a lot like Gosser.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The best beer I have ever tasted is Delerium Tremens. My favorite widely available beer is Stella. That said, I don't drink a lot of beer.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
People are going off-topic. *Nothing fancy, strange, hard-to-find*
With one or two exceptions, none of the aforementioned beers are very strange or exotic. Not served at every single bar, sure, but easy enough to find at a place with a respectable selection.

The Texas part of me wants to endorse the Shiner Bock choice earlier in this thread, but I find it nothing more than an average bock. I vacillate between dark beers (porters/stouts) and wheat beers. Among the more commonly available dark beers, Guiness and Sierra Nevada porter are my favorites. The quality of a Guiness tap and pour varies widely and as a previously poster mentioned, a poor one will taste like ashtray rinse. Among common wheat beers, my favorites, in order, are Schneider Weisse, Franziskaner Hefeweissen, and Paulaner Hefeweissen. Both Blue Moon and Hoegaarden have too much of an acidic finish. The Belgians should stick to Trappist ales. The Heinekens and Sapporos and Yeunglings and Stellas of the world are all decidely bland and useful only when in locales where the water is not potable and respectable beers are not available.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
The best beer I have ever tasted is Delerium Tremens. My favorite widely available beer is Stella. That said, I don't drink a lot of beer.

Nectar of the Gods...and dirt cheap during happy hour at Yardhouse.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
The Heinekens and Sapporos and Yeunglings and Stellas of the world are all decidely bland and useful only when in locales where the water is not potable and respectable beers are not available.

I prefer bland.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I prefer bland.

But you hate Rolling Rock! That's like hating McDonald's french fries. They may not be the best. They may not be memorable at all. But how can you hate them?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Our fridge usually has Peroni, Negro Modello and Guinness. I don't like stinky beer or micro-beer.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These beer threads always turn into a contest of who can name the most exotic, never heard of, "this guy must really know what he's talking about" beers out there.

So true. I'm gonna go to the store today and write down the name of the hardest to pronounce beer and I'll be back with my results of my latest "what I drink".

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The scotch thread is more elitist than any beer thread so enough you light beer quaffing sissies.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I have been told 1,000 times that all true beer drinkers love Guiness. I can't stand it, or any stout, so I am not a true beer drinker.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
But you hate Rolling Rock! That's like hating McDonald's french fries. They may not be the best. They may not be memorable at all. But how can you hate them?

There's a difference between bland and plain nasty.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
The scotch thread is more elitist than any beer thread so enough you light beer quaffing sissies.

They make more than one brand of scotch?

EDIT: Sorry j, forgot about multi quote.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
There's a difference between bland and plain nasty.

I am surprised you find it nasty. It seems to me to be designed to be as unobjectionable as possible.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Back in my early twenties I used to drink tons of Rolling rock and then fill the bottles with cigarette butts when my ashtrays got full.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads