1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Beer Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by DNW, Jul 20, 2007.

1. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

duuuude. i am sooo jealous

2. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

So much envy. I haven't been there since 2013.

3. brp2

brp2 Senior member

Got a couple of bottles of Sticky Hands waiting for me, which is a bit of a shame as I'm guessing they'll have degraded a bit by the time I get to them. Contributing to the overall problem in beer right now, I'm all for hyped stuff when I get to try some. [​IMG]

Also, opened this one up tonight. I liked it. You really got the grapes on the nose, almost dessert-wine-ish in smell, and it was mildly sour and nicely dry. Can't say I noticed the dry-hopping though, and its 9.5% abv was pretty well hidden.

.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

it's good. it just won't blow your mind

5. hc4thehc

hc4thehc Senior member

2 people like this.
  6. alexg

alexg Senior member

^Fucking love their Blond. I'm considering having one after my current beer...
    [​IMG]
    Cantillon Iris on tap.

4 people like this.
  7. Portland Dry Goods

Portland Dry Goods Senior member

237 Commercial Street, Portland, Me 04102
    [​IMG]

New glass, broken in with a Smuttynose Baltic Porter from my hometown. Deep dark and smooth. Nothing particularly different porter wise, just a really good execution of a style

1 person likes this.
  8. alexg

alexg Senior member

[​IMG]

@hc4thehc You convinced me, I had to get a Blond.

3 people like this.
  9. brp2

brp2 Senior member

Jealous of the Westy and the Smutty. I miss the latter's IPA.

10. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Mikkeller simcoe double IPA. Very smooth, fruity, and delicious beer.

1 person likes this.
  11. alexg

alexg Senior member

[​IMG]
    Just tried both of these. Don't know which I prefer, I love the tropical fruit thing that the Prairie yeast has, but the Anchorage one has great flavors from the Chardonnay barrels. I think I may prefer the Prairie, it has more going on. I'm not getting any brett or Belgian characteristics from the Anchorage, even though it was fermented with both.

2 people like this.
  12. b1os

b1os Senior member

Did your Puncheon have this weird lingering slightly chemical flavor too?

13. alexg

alexg Senior member

I don't think so, maybe a slight metallic taste, but once it warmed up the off flavors went away. It definitely wasn't my favorite Prairie, but it wasn't bad. I tasted it with two other people, a Belgian and a Catalan. The Belgian liked it a lot, the Catalan thought it was terrible.

14. b1os

b1os Senior member

Lucky you. I'm wondering what could've caused the taste.

15. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

16. brp2

brp2 Senior member

Sorry in advance for the somehow even crappier than normal photo. Had this one tonight; couldn't resist when I saw it on the list. Parts of it made me think of a milkshake. Big vanilla and whisky flavors and smells; tons of sweetness, which should be expected at 12%; and a very bitter tail-end, possibly from the coffee. Nice enough, but I would like to see what would happen with some age. It might actually get pretty interesting instead of just reminding me of a milkshake.
    [​IMG]

Also, as @alexg 's post reminded me, I'm pretty sure I've never been disappointed by Anchorage. While I've probably only had three of their beers, I've loved every one.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  17. b1os

b1os Senior member

[​IMG]

Had this yesterday. Very focused on the cherry. Not very sour. Not very funky. Just full-on cherry. It's not a bold beer. Some might call it boring. It's very good, but nothing I'll have to get a second time.
    Also had half a bottle of Duvel Tripel Hop 2015 (Equinox). Dumped the other half. Too much for me. Too much hops, too sweet, too everything. Maybe I wasn't in the mood for it.

[​IMG]

Having this now to continue the Prairie theme. Lots of carbonation. Vegetal funkiness (or is it slight acetone too?), but less than the Puncheon. Still not super pleasant. I'm thinking that those bottles maybe got too warm at some point. Overall good, but I don't remember it having these extreme flavors the last time I've had it.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
    2 people like this.
  18. hc4thehc

hc4thehc Senior member

Brilliant saison... Been in the stockroom of my flat for two years... Was a bit scared I killed it... Popped the cork - that first whiff just blew me away...

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Mikkeller brunch weasel - ok, really great oatmeal stout with coffee. Better than my beloved Victory at Sea? Probably yes. Worth paying 3 times as much for? No way.

Very impressed by the Mikkellers I've had but with their pricing I'm not likely to repeat most of them. Maybe the simcoe double IPA.

20. b1os

b1os Senior member

I love the Beer Geek Brunch Weasel. Very worth the 5.50 € I paid for it.