1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Beer Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by DNW, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Portland Dry Goods

Portland Dry Goods Senior member

237 Commercial Street, Portland, Me 04102

Ommegang is really impressive stuff. if you havent tried Three Philosophers yet, you should. might be their flagship beer for this kind of thing, but its not overrated. on par with what Allagash offers for big belgians. I'm sampling a bunch of wrestlemania themed beers tonight - not sure if you guys want the intel on those. all I know as of now is that someone cooked up a slim jim rauchbeer :embar:

2. b1os

b1os Senior member

I suppose most of you know Beck's. It's a relatively popular, not that great, pils, which, to my knowledge, has relatively good availability outside of Germany. They've just launched a new line of products to jump on the craft-beer-hype-train (though they don't call it craft beer, but super premium beer). A pils which is supposed to be more like the pils they brewed when Beck's was founded (hence the name "1873 Pils"), a Pale Ale and an Amber Lager. First of all, I think it's great that larger breweries in Germany start to focus on non-watered-down/non-0815-beers. Köstritzer (you might know them for their Schwarzbier) released a craft beer line last year (a Pale Ale, which is surprisingly bitter and really quite delicious, and a witbier, which I haven't tried yet). The Beck's beers, unfortunately, aren't that great (and priced higher than the ones from Köstritzer). The Pils has some more IBUs than their regular offering, and some more alcohol. That's pretty much the only difference. It's better than the regular, but it's not great. The Amber Lager is very malty, relatively heavy and lacks something though I'm not sure what to pinpoint it on, but overall it's enjoyable. The Pale Ale is quite disappointing. Not refreshing, quite heavy, quite malty, like if you mix a bottle of decent/good pale ale, a bottle of their amber lager, and some water. All in all, thanks for the effort, but no thanks. It might pull some more young adults towards craft beer, but I suppose it might also scare some away who don't enjoy the taste of these beers (which is, to some extent for the Amber Lager and likely for the pale ale, quite possible). The labels look pretty good though.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    2 people like this.
  3. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

barbeque

4. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

I think you took more effort writing this up than Beck put into making those beers.

3 people like this.
  5. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

LOL - well said. Just had a Duchesse de Bourgogne. Flanders reds/browns - I'm in love.

6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Appreciate the write up tho

7. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Absolutely.

8. b1os

b1os Senior member

:)
    Just had another bottle of Amber Lager. Very metallic-tasting. There are some beers where I don't particularly dislike it (though, if you were to ask me, I couldn't tell you which). Not the case with this beer.

Speaking of which, what's the cause of the metallic taste?

9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i notice a lot of metallic taste in lagers and goses in particular. i'm wondering if it has to do with yeast. it's ok in small amounts but i feel like in general it's a defect

10. b1os

b1os Senior member

Yeah, many lagers I've had have it. I agree that a "small amount" can actually be tolerable (or even contribute to the flavor), but it can easily get too strong. Not sure about gose--I've actually only had like three bottles of gose (not that easy to source here), but I suppose gose is a tad more forgiving toward a metallic taste than a lager is.

11. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

http://kotmf.com/articles/flavor.pdf

this says it's either from the lipids in the grains, metallic water, bad filtration, and contact with freshly scrubbed stainless steel containers

so i wonder why i notice it often in lagers

goses aren't easy to source in germany?

12. b1os

b1os Senior member

Sadly, no.

13. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

From back in my college days, I distinctly remember Dos XX Amber and Amber Bock both having a metallic/blood taste to them.

14. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Oh my god. I'm having this mort subite white lambic and that iron taste in blood is exactly how I would describe the finish. The front is nice and full of soft ripe peaches

BJCP says a low ph will strip off the nickel coating in pipes and reveal the metal underneath. Makes total sense

http://www.bjcp.org/cep/Metallic_Flavors.pdf

15. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

인데져틈... ㅠㅠ 같이 좀 마시쟈

1 person likes this.
  16. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Bartender was nice enough to switch it to an upright gose. Goddamn delicious. It's a little maltier than traditional german goses and the lack of filtration adds a nice creaminess in texture

I really want to ship this to nahneun but I don't think growlers travel well

1 person likes this.
  17. hc4thehc

hc4thehc Senior member

Lazy Sunday with mates...

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  18. hc4thehc

hc4thehc Senior member

19. Ken P

Ken P Senior member

Here's the weekend.

Some Lunch on Friday. Still not sure what the hype is on this one but I'll gladly drink it.
    [​IMG]

Buddy from Portland came down and brought a growler of Patina Pale by Austin Street. Really liked this one.
    [​IMG]

Then I cracked a Flora Blue/Black. While this was definitely good it was a lot more subdued than I was expecting. Was hoping for more acidity or more fruit flavor.
    [​IMG]

Saturday I opened one of my Rare Barrel Bottles. This was pretty much perfect in my mind. Funky nose but the taste is all orange and tart. Really well balanced.
    [​IMG]

And for sunday, I drank my last Sip can.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. hc4thehc

hc4thehc Senior member