The Official Beer Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by DNW, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Let's resurrect this thread!

2. Szeph el raton

Szeph el raton Senior member

I usually never drink beer at home but when socializing at a pub it's usually Kilkenny or Guinness. A nice german one would be Köstritzer.
    [​IMG]

Just can't stand the regular kinds of beer. Always wondered how I can drink one Bohemia or Presidente after the other when on vacation in Republica Dominicana but at home even resist to drink one.

3. Domindart

Domindart Senior member

Blue moon is good. add a orange and its great
    corona is good. with a lime is fine here too
    heineken is great
    stella artois is great
    420 is great
    harp is okay
    red stripe is good, this is from jamaca I think

4. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

you cant go wrong with shiner

5. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Blue moon is good. add a orange and its great
    corona is good. with a lime is fine here too
    heineken is great
    stella artois is great
    420 is great
    harp is okay
    red stripe is good, this is from jamaca I think

Taste Fail

6. ToruOkada

ToruOkada Senior member

Tried this last night at the neighborhood pub. It's good. [​IMG]

7. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

My favorite is Chimay, especially the grand reserve. I also like Orval, Duvel, Koningshoven and a few other Trappist ales.

8. Lel

Lel Senior member

Anyone got recommendations for nice, darker beers?

I'm pretty disgusted by the generic, light beer, tasteless variety that everyone chugs constantly and
    I'd like to start drinking some beers that are actually enjoyable. I realize that Guinness is overrated in terms of beer, but I don't want to waste money/time messing around with random brands that might not be any better.

So, what should I try out? Also something that can be attainable in places like QFC/Safeway/Trader Joes.

9. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

^If you can get Okanagan springs black lager, that is a good gateway beer for darker stuff. It's very drinkable. You can then move on to things like Young's chocolate stout, Rogue Imperial stout, etc.

10. Lel

Lel Senior member

^If you can get Okanagan springs black lager, that is a good gateway beer for darker stuff. It's very drinkable. You can then move on to things like Young's chocolate stout, Rogue Imperial stout, etc.

I think I might have seen some Rogue Imperial at QFC and I'd certainly like to try some chocolate stout.

My friend who went on a trip to Germany really recommends Delerium, Troll, and Chimay, but I'm not sure how available they are in the states. I need to start compiling a list...

11. whacked

whacked Senior member

you cant go wrong with shiner

Tried this last night at the neighborhood pub. It's good.
    http://grayhunter.files.wordpress.co...noptimator.jpg

+1 to both. Definitely 2 of the better macro beers.

I'm pretty disgusted by the generic, light beer, tasteless variety that everyone chugs constantly and
    I'd like to start drinking some beers that are actually enjoyable. I realize that Guinness is overrated in terms of beer, but I don't want to waste money/time messing around with random brands that might not be any better.

So, what should I try out? Also something that can be attainable in places like QFC/Safeway/Trader Joes.

Find somewhere that sells beer singles, instead of 6/12 packs. Then try out the recommendations in this thread, or if you have time, look at www.beeradvocate.com

12. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Well these arent necessarily "dark" beers but they are packed with flavor, delicious, very drinkable, and readily available. In your case the first beer I would recommend is

1) Sam Adams Boston Lager. Although, it's about as available as the gross light beers you speak of it is a phenomenal beer that can be had almost anywhere that is very drinkable.

2) Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - Delicious, flavorful, and a hoppy finish that will introduce you that pungent flavor that people rave about.

3) Anchor Liberty Ale

13. AJL

AJL Senior member

A few seasonal favorites.

[​IMG]

14. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

Anyone got recommendations for nice, darker beers? I'm pretty disgusted by the generic, light beer, tasteless variety that everyone chugs constantly and I'd like to start drinking some beers that are actually enjoyable. I realize that Guinness is overrated in terms of beer, but I don't want to waste money/time messing around with random brands that might not be any better. So, what should I try out? Also something that can be attainable in places like QFC/Safeway/Trader Joes.
    That English Ale that they have in every restaurant: BAssAle is decent. If you don't like light beer you prolly drank Bud Light ... Lager or Pilsner beers are great but only from Checkoslovakia ,Germany or Denmark. Avoid microbrews unless you like shitty sweet beer. And for god sake avoid anything that was brewed in Boston.

15. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

1) Sam Adams Boston Lager. Although, it's about as available as the gross light beers you speak of it is a phenomenal beer that can be had almost anywhere that is very drinkable.

+1