1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Beer Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by DNW, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Ken P

Ken P Senior member

First store I stopped that just got them in but wouldn't be able to sell me one for another 2 hours (not sure why they wouldn't just take my money). Second store hadn't gotten them in yet, but will. They took my info and will let me know when they get them. Hopefully this will work out!

2. hc4thehc

hc4thehc Senior member

Ridiculously good... Too bad this doesn't come in half bottles...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

Interesting read from a cicerone in Boston about a place in Maine....

You probably wouldn't be surprised to hear that for my bachelor party, I headed to a spot that is considered to be one of the greatest beer bars in the world. What might surprise you about said bar, though, is that it resides in the middle of a golf course in Lovell, Maine. I'll pause for a moment so you can find that on a map... anyways, rated by BeerAdvocate as the greatest beer bar in the world for five straight years, Ebenezer's Pub delivers on the promise. My first pilgrimage to the spot, it was hard to know what to expect. I've been to some pretty incredible bars across the United States and Europe, and this tiny farmhouse on the golf course needed to pack a lot of punch to rank amongst the best. With multiple rare sours, stouts, farmhouse ales, and much more on the DRAUGHT list, Ebenezer's is like being in a candy store to the beer nerd.

"It's like you died and went to Belgium," is their motto, and I can assure you that this is the only place outside of that wonderful country where you'll see the options you see here. We had the opportunity to meet Chris, one half of the husband and wife team that owns and curates Ebenezer's Pub. "You like tart beer?" Well yes, yes I do! I have heard stories about this man's cellar... one of the only people on the planet that can perform the, "What is your birth year," trick, somehow always managing to produce a beer from the depths of the cellar with your year stamped on it. He disappeared for 10 minutes or so and returned with a bottle completely covered in what I like to call, "scuzz." The beer was Aardmonnik (Earthmonk) by De Struise Brouwers (a brewery that produces beers specifically for Ebenezer's.. their Black Albert Imperial Stout is often considered one of the best beers in the world). A Flanders Oud Bruin, the beer was a 2008 vintage. "Just take a sip, I'll be right back," Chris told us after pouring this beautiful beer into our glasses. I honestly couldn't contain my excitement, it was a little sad being laughed at by my buddies at my own bachelor party... but so worth it! Chris returned a few minutes later with another bottle (!!!) of beer, a Thomas Hardy's Old Ale. Hardy's is a UK brewery that specializes in traditional Old Ales, and the one he had in his hand was a 1993 vintage. The beer was old enough to drink a beer. What happened next horrified me (though only for a second), he popped the beer and started pouring it into the glasses that already contained the De Struise Aardmonnik! Who mixes 21 year old beer from the UK with 6 year old beer from Belgium?!?! Well, Ebenezer's does... and it ended up being one of the most incredible beers I have ever had in my life. He explained that the two beers shared a yeast strain, and that they had done a lot of research (= drinking) to find a perfect blend of two beers. Indeed, this was perfection. The old ale lended a rich caramel character, with a slightly oxidized, sherry-esque character. The Flanders Bruin added a little more funkiness along with the beautiful dark red fruit notes.

It was at that point that I realized why this place IS the best, they take what you know about drinking beer and turn it on its head. Chris and his wife Jen take risks, doing things that others would be scared to do in the world of beer. I can't begin to express how great of a time we had, and how much I appreciate the amazing beers that we got to experience that day. The pilgrimage is well worth it, and is one I will be doing many times over the coming years.

5 people like this.
  4. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

^ I definitely need to check that place out.

1 person likes this.
  5. brp2

brp2 Senior member

I'd heard of it, but never made it there in the decade plus I spent living in Boston and frequenting Maine. I definitely regret that now.

6. hc4thehc

hc4thehc Senior member

Loved that story... And made me way excited realising I have an Aardmonnik 2008 to be tasted soon :embar:

7. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Shit, this is like 60 miles from where I am this summer. Too bad my wife doesn't like beer.

8. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Oh yeah, before I got distracted, I was going to post that I am bummed the new microbrewery 3 blocks from my apartment just tapped a keg of Mikkeller, and I'm not around to get some.

9. b1os

b1os Senior member

^So, Mikkeller is good? I've just heard of it two days ago when I've read the article about Stone Brewery opening a brewery which stated that Mikkeller was planning to open a brewery in Berlin too. Never heard of them before, :embar:, but after a quick beeradvocate search I guess that they're prety good.

10. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

They make a lot of very good and interesting beers. Some definite misses thrown in for sure, but those just seem to be from pushing the boundaries and overreaching IMHO.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  11. OmniscientCause

Think of them as an American craft beer company in Europe. A lot of what they do is similar to stuff being made in the states.

Agree mostly hits but some misses. I haven't ever been wowed by anything but mostly solid offerings.

12. hc4thehc

hc4thehc Senior member

I've been trying Mikkeller beers and so far their collab with Brewdog, the I HARDCORE YOU brew, stands out. I have a ton more to try, though...

13. Ken P

Ken P Senior member

Ending up finding the Beer Camp 12 pack. First beer from that was this Firestone Walker Pilsner. I'm not a fan of pilsners so I'm not the best judge but it was pretty good I guess.
    [​IMG]
    Found this in cans and it's better than it was on tap. Still no westbrook but a pretty good summer sipper.
    [​IMG]

14. hc4thehc

hc4thehc Senior member

This one is on my granddad, who's currently at the hospital because of a cerebral hemorrhage.

[​IMG]

15. brp2

brp2 Senior member

hc4thehc: my thoughts are with you and your grandfather.

In suburban DC for the weekend to meet up with my parents and introduce our new child to his great-grandmother. Ran through the local store and quickly grabbed the below (although my parents brought a couple down from the cellar at home; a few similar ones didn't last until the photo). Completely forgot to look for BeerCamp as I was focused on bigger bottles. Drat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. OmniscientCause

Im moving to dc next week where did you find the RR?

17. hc4thehc

hc4thehc Senior member

18. OmniscientCause

19. brp2

brp2 Senior member

Nowhere. Came from a cellar in PA.

And I found BeerCamp:
    [​IMG]