1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Beer Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by DNW, Jul 20, 2007.

1. brp2

brp2 Senior member

I love the Saison-Brett. Got a couple different years of it sitting in the beer fridge here. Should probably open up the 2011 soon.

2. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

Brett beers Arnt for everyone but I agree it's better

3. brp2

brp2 Senior member

Kinda blah (and incredibly so compared to everything else listed recently) but not bad on a hot and sunny day:
    [​IMG]

4. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

Sometimes, this just hits the spot.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Definitely on my desert island list.

6. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

you need to try more beer :nodding:

7. hc4thehc

hc4thehc Senior member

Yeah agreeing with OC... It's a nice beer, but in the 6% category there's much, much better stuff...

8. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I think saison DuPont is a great desert island beer. Sometimes I just crave that classic saison style.

9. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Not really a beer drinker but I read the description on this and it sounded like something I would like and I did like it, very nice.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. brp2

brp2 Senior member

Agreed. I'm a fan of that beer and its sibling Foret (which was one of three beers we had at our wedding, but that was a while back). But as for desert island beers, I doubt I could put a list together. I'm pretty fickle and my tastes change over time so I'd be hesitant to make that strong of a commitment to any beer. I'm also a big fan of variety.

Ed: that looks like a winner.

And one of today's beers, a big improvement on yesterday's:
    [​IMG]

11. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Senior member

Saison DuPont is THE classic example of a saison, you'd be a fool to think anything else. Orval is another, but I don't know anything about beer...

12. hc4thehc

hc4thehc Senior member

It might be a classic example of a saison, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the best...

13. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Senior member

I personally think it's one of the best, if you care to share some of your favorites then please share. I've had a thousand different saisons, most the "better" American ones are usually one-offs are extremely difficult to obtain unless you live in that certain area of the country. One example is Hill Farmstead, Shaun makes excellent saisons, tart saisons, wine barrel aged saisons, but he's also located in the middle of no where Vermont and can be a pain to acquire. On the other hand, I can go to any Binny's or Whole Foods here in Chicago and pick up a bottle of Saison DuPont. My point is, yes you can argue there are better saisons, but the majority aren't as widely available....

14. hc4thehc

hc4thehc Senior member

Win/ win situation for you, then!..

15. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Senior member

I'd take your lambic situation over my saison any given day, you live in the Land of Gueuze...

1 person likes this.
  16. hc4thehc

hc4thehc Senior member

Not complaining about my geuze situation indeed... Hardest thing to keep track off is to know what lands when... Fou Foune shouldn't be too long though... And I do love me some FF... :embar:

17. alexg

alexg Senior member

Isn't Orval a Belgian Pale Ale more than a saison? And I've never had a non skunked bottle of Dupont...

1 person likes this.
  18. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

I've never had a skunked bottle. Is it really that common? I agree with Tooch. There are certainly other saisons, which are highly enjoyable... They're just don't seem to be around when you need them! For instance, here in San Diego I've had quite a few delicious ones from Lost Abbey. I usually grab them when I see them. However, when I'm sitting outside at a nice restaurant and fancy a saison on an early summer evening... Well, none of these mythical ales are anywhere to be found. I know what I'm getting when I order a DuPont, and it's exactly what I want... I consider it a benchmark.

19. alexg

alexg Senior member

The Houston beer scene is...disappointing. It's not uncommon to see 8 month old IPAs just sitting on the shelf. I wouldn't be surprised if Dupont sat in a 120 degree warehouse until moving to a store or restaurant and sitting under florescent lights for months. But the green bottles certainly don't help.

20. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Senior member

I was trying to prove a point that Orval is a classic just like DuPont, you are correct it is not a saison. The whole point was beers like these are classics for a reason, I'm also not some beer newbie. Drink what you like is my philosophy, if I do drink beer these days it's usually High Life...

1 person likes this.