The Official Beer Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by DNW, Jul 20, 2007.

1. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

Hey beer dudes, is this Deus stuff worth buying? I've seen it around at a few places and the info I've read online makes me curious.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012

2. alexg

alexg Senior member

Never had Deus, I can't justify $30 on a beer that isn't supposed to be world class, when there are so many cheaper options available.

Also, I've been making up for months of only having access to Texas beers this week in NY. Had Kuhnhenn Dark Heathen Triple Bock, FW Double DBA, Jolly Pumpkin Bam Noire, and DFH URKontinent so far, and a few old standbys like Founders Dirty Bastard. The Kuhnhenn was the most interesting, the 12.5%ABV was hidden well in it, and it was surprisingly drinkable. I'd buy it again if I ever see it, which is unlikely. The Double DBA was also pretty good, I was looking in the store for the 16th Anniversary beer, but they had that instead so I figured why not. URKontinent was decent, but a bit too sweet, and the Jolly Pumpkin was kind of boring compared to some of their better beers.

3. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Westmalle Tripel. Don't know why I haven't had this before, since it's pretty common, but man oh man is it good. Might be the best tripel I've ever had. Very crisp with hints of apple in the finish. Very smooth for the alcohol level.

4. b1os

b1os Senior member

Westmalle Dubbel and Tripel. Agreed, the tripel is very nice. The dubbel is good too but I prefer the tripel's style.

5. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Most dubbel's I've had were too sweet for me.

Alaskan Brewing Co. Smoked Porter. Aw hell yeah. My first experience with smoked beer was not a pleasant one but this one nailed the balance. Hints of molasses underneath the smoke flavor. Nice solid body, almost a stout but not quite. Apparently it's not going to be around for long so grab it while you can.

6. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

Heady...:embar:

Im lucky the store near me has got it twice in the last month so Ive had a few cans

7. OmniscientCause

I had one on thanksgiving...the carbonation was out of control and it def lives up to its name...it takes a parched mouth and blast it with flavor...I had enjoy by 12.21.2012 last night and thought it was okay nothing out of this world...damn you HF and all ur delicious IPAS and DIIPAS i wish I could drink you year round and you make every other beer seem inferior.

8. b1os

b1os Senior member

Yep. Plus it had lots of the liquorice-y yeast.
    I found the bitter notes of the tripel interesting. Definitely more bitter than any other tripel I've had so far.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012

9. OmniscientCause

b1os how popular is mikkeller over there?

10. b1os

b1os Senior member

Haven't heard of it yet. But I'm no beer expert by any means.

11. OmniscientCause

basically the closet thing to an american craft brewery. Well from what ive heard...ive never been to europe so I cant really speak 100 percent.
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13307

12. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Almost Special

what I've been drinking lately:

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

but this is my go to:

[​IMG]

13. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

I've liked the two Mikkeller collaborations with Jester King that I've tried, but the stuff that I've had under the Mikkeller name hasn't really done much for me. I get the impression that he is really interested in experiment, which is cool, but also comes at the expense of consistency.

14. ahk1979

ahk1979 Senior member

Your crazy! I can't remember having an average Mikkeller beer let alone a bad one. And I've had a lot of his beers.

15. OmniscientCause

I'll qualify munchausen's comment...Mikkeller is good but average given the prices we pay state side. Some of their 12 oz ipas are in the 7-12 range which you wont see anywhere not even from the top small brewpubs. I would rather pay 10 for a 4pk of Jacks Abby pints then 8 on a single IPA from Mikkeler.

It's also difficult to tell how fresh Mikkeller is maybe they have been doing bottle dates recently but I know as far as a year back they wernt.

I had some of their stuff at an event and it was amazing, so I assume it was fresh.