1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Beer Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by DNW, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Rambo

Rambo Stylish Dinosaur

bueller?

2. munchausen

munchausen Distinguished Member

Yeah that's about right. Nothing special but reasonably priced, easy to find, and a cold one tastes pretty good on a hot day.

It's funny, though, because anyone who says it's "amazing" is either a tourist or someone who has been away from Texas for a long time and is feeling homesick.

3. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Distinguished Member

that is seriously my last name.

4. Bond111

Bond111 Senior Member

Thanks!! Was going to post something a few weeks back about a bunch of new beers that I've had over the months that stood out, but for some reason Firefox wanted to update, and lost everything I had wrote...Live and learn to type stuff up in Google drive so it always saves.

Anyone out in Cali that could score a few bottles of Stone for me? I know we get it in Minneapolis, but I'm wanting the Enjoy by 9-21-12 IPA, and the 10th Anni. Ruination, and maybe the 16th Anni. Had the 10th a few weeks back and it was mighty tasty.

Tooch, The freshest Furious I could find today was an 8-14-12, not sure if that would do. I can keep looking if you do end up wanting some.

5. Van Veen

Van Veen Distinguished Member

Or just too damned young to know any better. When I lived in PA, I met a lot of people whose favorite beer was Yuengling.

6. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Distinguished Member

No rush, I have a couple friends that also might want in on this, I'll ask them and see what's up, you'll hear back from me soon. Make sure you check out Town Hall Pub since you're in Minneapolis now...

7. b1os

b1os Distinguished Member

Now that I live in Belgium/NL...

[​IMG]

8. b1os

b1os Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

Had these today. Well, I actually just wanted to drink the Floreffe and Liefmans, but then I figured since I already tried a Kriek (Liefmans), why not try those other two for a better comparison..

Anyways. Again, the Florette had this liquorice taste. Where's it coming from? The malt? No fan of extreme liquorice in beer.

The Liefmans' kriek was pretty good. The Kriek Boon is drier, but good too. Mort Subite's take has a very clear cherry taste, almost a little too straightforward. I think I prefer the Liefmans, and Kriek Boon/Mort Subite share the 2nd place (if I had to choose beetween those two, I would prefer Kriek Boon). Overall you need to be careful because it drinks like water, grows your belly and gets you slightly drunk over time (4-6%).

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012

9. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Distinguished Member

Something that's struck me during my summer travels: I'm intrigued by cultures that are really into great food and drink but are completely content drinking shitty lagers. I'm thinking specifically of Spain (where everyone was drinking Estrella Damm) and Japan (Suntory Malts, Kirin, etc.). In a way, I got into it--you can really drink a lot of those shitty lagers, and maybe the whole intention is for beer to be unobtrusive. But I really missed high quality beer. I know there's a craft beer movement in Japan, but I didn't make it out to the famous beer bar (Popeye's or whatever it's called) or to Baird's. And I get the hunch that Hitachino's pretty much only for export. In Barcelona, I had the local Moritz lager, and it was truly godawful.

10. Rambo

Rambo Stylish Dinosaur

11. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Distinguished Member

We have a vibrant micro-brew culture, and, in fact, I can go to some restaurant in the middle of bumfuck, flyover country and still expect to find something better than a macrobrew adjunct lager to drink, even if it's just Fat Tire or something. And this is surprising because the food at this restaurant is almost guaranteed to be absolute garbage.

12. Fang66

Fang66 Stylish Dinosaur

He was talking about "cultures that are really into great food and drink", not KFC, McDonald's, and Coke.

13. munchausen

munchausen Distinguished Member

The pattern that I've noticed is that countries that make great wine usually don't make great beer. I've never had a really great Spanish, Italian or French beer.

14. indesertum

indesertum Stylish Dinosaur

Italians microbrews are quite awesome worth seeking out and ive had a few great french saisons. Never had much Spanish microbrews

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012

15. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Distinguished Member

Bell's Two Hearted is at the top of my list for IPAs.

There is a local place not far from me, Kuhnhenn, that also has a phenomenal double rice IPA but it's only available at the brewery and a few bars. If it were something I could get for home consumption without having to drive across town to do so, it would probably replace the Two Hearted. Until then though, the Two Hearted remains my go-to IPA choice.