1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Beer Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by DNW, Jul 20, 2007.

1. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

I took a bath in Hopslam tonight.

2. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I get my news from NPR and rarely read beer forums so im always behind

3. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

I heard that on NPR this week too. But Beerpulse.com is dat shit yo

1 person likes this.
  4. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Senior member

I strongly disagree, it's the best batch in the past 5yrs. A bit thinner body, slightly lover ABV and super drinkable fresh. 90% of most beers are meant to be consumed fresh, I swear this whole aging thing drives me nuts, prime example I sampled a properly stored bottle of Rare on New Years Day and it wasn't anything more than a subpar, sad shadow of what was once a great beer. Then again, I only store and consume lambics and/or ciders and such these days...

1 person likes this.
  5. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

I agree with you and dont age most things more then a year...but i dont particularly like bourbon and with BA beers I find they mellow out slightly over time. The rum aged pirate bomb I have left will be drank sometime in the next few months as it was fantastic a few months ago...I like rum so didnt mind the taste.

6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Did a beer for bourbon trade with Bdeuce. Admittedly had to drive around quite a bit to source them but wow his generosity really went above and beyond. Totally blew me away.

[​IMG]

Kunhenn 4th D old ale
    Arcadia ales barrel age shipwreck porter
    Kunhenn cherry old brune (2011)
    Founders backwoods bastard
    Founders KBS

[​IMG]

Cigar city Marshall Zhukov
    logsdon cerasus
    Logsdon seizon bretta
    Hill farmstead la vermontoise
    Founders blushing monk (2011)
    Three Floyds dark lord (2009)

Considering Bdeuce stored them should be in excellent condition. Thinking about it last time I had dark lord I drank it few months after release. Excited to see what it tastes like with a few years of age on it.

Drinking victory hop ranch tonight tho. Best by date of May 24 and I think the dates are 5 months out so it's less than a month old. Well it's fragging excellent. Aromas are reserved but still juicy and well balanced with light malt backbone. Subdued bitterness but more so than the peekskill IPAs I've had recently. Lovely citrus flavors. Has this almost savory roasted quality to the aroma in the background that is quite nice. I thought the color was very light for an ipa so I looked it up and apparently they use pilsner malts. Can totally see that.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Senior member

That is also the first batch release of La Vermontoise just so you know, funny how far a few of those bottles have traveled and how many different hands they been through. I think I sent Brian that Dark Lord years ago, probably closer to the actual time it was released and it's a '10 not an '09 which had an army green wax...

1 person likes this.
  8. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Oh. I read the bottle over and I thought it said 09. Maybe I read it wrong.

9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I need to make a trip to Vermont one of these days. Get some alchemist and hill farmstead.

Anybody get some terrapin moohoo or wake n bake? I heard the cinnamon roll wake n bake is good but it seems really hard to find.

Also sucks is coming out this Thursday where i live now! Waited all year for this. Hopefully I'll get y hands on some

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  10. concealed

concealed Senior member

^ agreed. I am probably gonna make a trip for this http://lawsonsfinest.blogspot.com/2014/01/happy-new-year.html on 2/8. Probably be able to scrounge up a 4pk of Heady or two, but with that much Lawson's I should be OK. Might be able to convince co-pilot to tack on the extra 3 hours round trip for Hill, but not sure.

1 person likes this.
  11. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Senior member

No, you were originally correct, I got the colors and the years backwards. White was '09 and Olive Green was '10, I do know '09 was a sugary, sticky sweet mess fresh, I am curious on how it's held up or changed since then...

12. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Ill report back when I try it

So what's the deal with otter creek and Lawson's? Does otter creek contract brew for them or is it a collaboration?

13. concealed

concealed Senior member

That was a one time thing, looks like they are going to do it again at the end of the year. Double Dose IPA was the beer they brewed up together at OC's MUCH larger facility. It was pretty good, but not as good as the regular Lawson's stuff.

14. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

^missed the last round of double dose. But the distributor here isn't that great with IPAs and dates. Hopefully I'll get some this year

Also even with the glut of great IPAs I don't think I'll get tired of them. One thing is I it seems like they're tending towards homogeneity especially the dipa or iipa category. Sweet, very aromatic, orange mango pine juice flavors, decent bitterness, moderate to high alcohol. It seems like a few years ago it was angry goat hopfuck bitter IPAs that were the rage with the race on for for the highest IBUs. Now the race is on for aromatic IPAs with as much hops and hop extracts as possible in the later aromatic phase.

15. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

Try that BA4D. Amazing shit.

16. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

And yes, they were all stored properly in my basement cabinet which is about 50-60F throughout the year.

the shipwreck, BA4D, and Brune are just over two years old. I recently had one of those shipwrecks and it was fantastic. better than the '13 release. the cherry brune is pretty good. I had some of this years release at the brewery. sadly, they were out of bottles. it packs a punch. I think it's above 10% ABV.

1 person likes this.
  17. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

18. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Also heads up Long Island dudes glen cove distributors is filling KBS growlers for $30. Possibly sucks and parabola too. I'd go but tolls are insane and I have too much beer.

19. ama

ama Senior member

MMMMMMM, Blushing Monk.

20. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Fuck fuck fuck. As soon as I told Brian I couldn't help out with his bourbon hunt I knew I'd made a mistake.

1 person likes this.