1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Beer Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by DNW, Jul 20, 2007.

1. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

[​IMG]

Cannot get enough of this

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Breckenridge 471 Double IPA

3. alexg

alexg Senior member

Is there any decent way for me to ship a lot of beer? I'm trying to move my entire beer collection across the country, but it's at least 100 bottles. I'm assuming there's probably some way to do it, but I'd rather not pay 5x the actual cost of the beer doing it or risk them all breaking/getting confiscated.

4. ama

ama Senior member

Find a moving/freight company.

5. alexg

alexg Senior member

Isn't that going to end up being way more expensive than shipping it really well packed by Fedex? I did an estimate for a 20x20x20 box that weighs 50 pounds and it was $58, if I can do it in like four of those, is that my best bet? Not that I even know if I can, it might end up being closer to 8+ which would start to get a bit expensive.

6. ama

ama Senior member

Risky proposition. If one bottle breaks in one of your 50lbs boxes you lose that box. If FedEx is anal and they see you shipped four similarly sized boxes at the same time you can lose all of them.

7. sonick

sonick Senior member

I am going to Oregon Bewer's Festival next week, wondering anything in particular there I should go out of my way to find? Here's the beer list:

http://www.oregonbrewfest.com/index2.php?p=beers

Been on a Belgian-style ale kick lately, as well as imperial stouts.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  8. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

[​IMG]

And a ton of other sours. I should really expand

2 people like this.
  9. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Had several bottles of my Dad's saison yesterday Man. I need to get into homebrewing. You never would have guessed that some 60 year old IT nerd made it in his garage.

Also had a bunch of Bells, Boulder, Lagunitas, and Samuel smith stuff.

10. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I know this was an old post but I have to agree about the Lagunitas WTF. I bought a bottle of it this weekend for drinking while laying in the hammock. Very disappointed. Much too malty.

11. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

^^. Check out the new place in Birmingham. Incredible beer.

[​IMG]

12. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I live just west of downtown Birmingham but rarely go out to eat in town because I am usually too cheap but I have been waiting patiently for this place to open up ever since I heard about it because I've had the beer the one time I went to Big Rock and really liked it and would enjoy it even more at a place that isn't the overpriced Big Rock. Last Wednesday I had a dentist appointment in the late afternoon about two blocks from the there and decided to walk over towards Griffin Claw afterwards because I knew they were doing a private preview and I wanted to try my luck at getting in and was welcomed with open arms. I had the St. Clair and the Red Rock and really liked both. The burger was pretty good too.

I'm itching to go back there soon now that they are officially open. One of my bosses really wants to check it out so I keep suggesting to him that we need to find a reason to schedule a lunch meeting there.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  13. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

I had both of those beers too. Both very good. The bourbon aged stouts were awesome.

14. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Got a growler of bcbs coffee

1 person likes this.
  15. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Has anyone tried Goose Island Bourbon County Stout? I don't normally love stouts, but this is one of the best I've had.

16. ZecebeB

ZecebeB Member

Newb here.

Went to a tasting of Oskar Blues at a favorite liquor store in Columbus, Ohio. I live (unfortunately) in WV as I finish my last year of undergrad, and have only 1 good source of solid beer. My knowledge of crafts is quite lacking, in the process of developing tastest & whatnot.

Since this is my first beer post, I will post the last 2 weeks of tastings:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]\[​IMG]

Also, from the tasting from today, had Oskar Blues Pilsner, Pale Ale, G'knight, & the Chub Ale I purchased. All were fairly interesting, although to my unrefined palate the pils was a tad odd.

Et le crème de la crème was the Trappistes 10 Rochefort :). An inspirational beer which I hope to learn all of the small nuances of by the end of my beer journey!

17. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Welcome. Of the Oskar Blues I've tried, I think the Gubna Imperial IPA is my favorite, but the Oskar Blues Pilsner is definitely not bad (not my favorite pilsner, but not bad).

Really, most Belgian beers are just awesome. Belgians and IPAs tend to be my favorites for quite different reasons.

18. concealed

concealed Senior member

ya, kinda like coming into waywt and saying anyone ever seen drake's neckwear and accessories :)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  19. ZecebeB

ZecebeB Member

Imperial was there, but not for the tasting unfortunately and as I was there mainly for the liquor I didn't purchase it to try. That was actually my first foray into craft Pilsner, so that may skewed to my perception of main stream "Pilsner".

I agree with the Belgian reference, I lived in France last year and thus started my appreciation of all things with alcohol. Really learn to appreciate alcohol as a necessary component of wonderful taste as opposed to a social stigma (damn US).

Also went to a wonderful French Bistro today and had a few Kronenbourg 1664 bottles, perfectly representative of my stay in France, along with a wonderful lunch.

20. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

I've had all of the pictures beers many times (plusrochefort 10) and they are all great examples of their respective styles. The pyramid is a little heavy for hefe but still very good.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013