The Official Beer Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by DNW, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Very funny. It's true though. I'd rather deal with guys here than BA. I can't take BA. BA seems more fussy. For the popular beers, Nerds perceive it's worth at double or more of retail value. So they always want more than they should get.
    I had the same problem. Some douchebags wanted "eBay" values for their beers. I ain't payin' that, no way no how.

2. Bond111

Bond111 Senior member

I've got a friend who is going to Chicago this weekend, and need to tell them the best place or places to go to get great craft beer to bring back to Iowa, since we dont have very many good places here. Any suggestions on what they could bring back with them that is mind blowing?

I tried some Pliny the elder on tap at tap house in Seattle, wasn't blown away by it. It was decent, but maybe it just wasn't completely how it should have been served in one way or another. I dunno. Maybe better in a bottle pour? It was also weird how they had it on tap, but the owner of Chucks 85th market said he wouldn't be getting it for another 2 weeks give or take. Maybe the time difference between kegs & bottles?

I also really enjoyed the Firestone Walker Union Jack at Deluxe bar and Grill. Burgers were outstanding too.

3. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Senior member

Three Floyds Dreadnaught
    Three Floyds Artic Panzer Wolf
    Three Floyds Apocalypse Cow
    Three Floyds Alpha King
    Three Floyds Gumball Head
    Half Acre Daisy Cutter
    Metropolitan Krankshaft
    Firestone Walker Double Jack
    Firestone Walker Abacus
    Two Brothers Askew
    Two Brothers Domaine DuPage
    Two Brothers Caine & Ebel's
    Great Lakes Burning River
    Great Lake Erie Monster
    Flossmoor Pullman Brown
    Founders Red's Rye
    Founders Double Trouble
    Founders Cerise
    Lagunitas 'Lil Sumpin' Sumpin'
    Lagunitas IPA
    Bell's Two-Hearted
    Bell's Oberon

That should get you started and all are great Summer time beers...

4. Bond111

Bond111 Senior member

Tooch, is there any place special that would carry all or most of those you named? Looking for a few spots that I could send them, just in case they aren't real close to one location. Thanks for the list.

5. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

Tooch, is there any place special that would carry all or most of those you named? Looking for a few spots that I could send them, just in case they aren't real close to one location. Thanks for the list.
    tooch's apartment.

6. JSC437

JSC437 Senior member

I had some of the Bell's Two-Hearted last weekend. That would be on my regular beer list if it was sold in NYC. Good beer! Having my in-laws bring me a few 6-packs next time they come to town.

7. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

^^ have you tried Oberon?

8. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Senior member

Any of the Lush locations or South Loop Binny's would be the places to go...

Brian, I live in a loft and keep very little beer in the house, I store mine all in my friends temp controlled walk in cellar. I actually only drink about once a week...

9. ama

ama Senior member

Lake Erie Monster is very sweet this year. I don't like it as much as last year's.

10. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Drinking Fuller's 1845. It's nice but doesn't hold a candle to Founders Curmudgeon (I know they're different styles but are similar). My case of Curmudgeon is down to about 7 beers and this makes me sad. I made it last since December.

11. JSC437

JSC437 Senior member

^^ have you tried Oberon?
    Nope. I purchased a 6 pack of Two-Hearted when I was out in PA. Should i try Oberon also? If so, I will have the in-laws bring me some of that also. They have a good beer selection at the Giant Eagle grocery store where they live (near Youngstown, Ohio).

12. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Oberon's not nearly as good IMO. Neither are the Lagunitas. Never tried the rest of the shit on the list.

13. Aaron01

Aaron01 Senior member

14. Jokerman

Jokerman Senior member

Very funny. It's true though. I'd rather deal with guys here than BA. I can't take BA. BA seems more fussy. For the popular beers, Nerds perceive it's worth at double or more of retail value. So they always want more than they should get.

Good point. Ebay prices are pretty ridiculous and just reading through the trade sections of rate beer and BA I feel I would not have very much luck because like you say they value it way more than they should.

I am really wanting to get some DFH 120 IPA and unfortunately North Carolina is not getting any. So if anyone is planning on getting it when it comes out shoot me a PM because I would love to get a bottle or 2.

15. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Putting together beer kits from Northern Brewer for me and my brothers next hombrew session:

Wee Heavy
    Innkeeper (british bitter)
    Imperial Stout
    Town Hall 1800 Historic English IPA

It's going to be all british isles all the time. Wee Heavy and Imperial Stout will be ready by late fall/winter