The Official Beer Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by DNW, Jul 20, 2007.

1. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

And now the Pale Bock Lager, which is pretty rich and malty, but again missing just a little something on the mid-palate.

[​IMG]

2. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

And last but not least the stout. Fairly big and rich with some nice coffee and mocha notes, but again missing a little something on the mid-palate. Out of the for Dundee styles I had this and the IPA were my favorite...not bad for ten bucks when all is said and done.

[​IMG]

3. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

Finally got around to trying this...very pleased.
    [​IMG]

4. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

And now some...
    [​IMG]

5. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

This past weekend, I got a six pack of Stone Ruination IPA. A friend of mine had been raving about Stone for a while but the price of it here has usually been above what I like to pay - $18!! [​IMG] - but I decided to take the plunge finally and I'm glad I did. This one has an ABV content of 7.7% which is definitely towards the high end of what I generally like but it was surprisingly smooth and not nearly as hoppy as I was expecting.

I also got a six pack of Sierra Nevada Summerfest (less than 50% of the price of the Stone Ruination) and really enjoyed it. Nice and smooth and another beer that's perfect after working in the yard or while standing over the BBQ grill. This may just become my beer of choice for the summer of 2011.

6. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

Well?

Loved them both particularly Dirty Bastard, which I followed up with some Robert the Bruce...reminded me of how much I love a good Scotch Style Ale!

7. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

Panda, I've tried that Dundee sampler and can def agree that just about every one has something missing.

8. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

Panda, I've tried that Dundee sampler and can def agree that just about every one has something missing.

yeah the mid-palate to the finish was very weak. I will say that out of the four the IPA was the best...and, for the price, the whole thing wasn't a total waste.

9. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

what are some good belgian beers?

i really like hoegaarden but im positive there are much better alternatives out there.

any suggestions? where 2 kop?

10. sleekblackroadster

sleekblackroadster Senior member

This past weekend, I got a six pack of Stone Ruination IPA. A friend of mine had been raving about Stone for a while but the price of it here has usually been above what I like to pay - $18!! [​IMG] - but I decided to take the plunge finally and I'm glad I did. This one has an ABV content of 7.7% which is definitely towards the high end of what I generally like but it was surprisingly smooth and not nearly as hoppy as I was expecting.

I also got a six pack of Sierra Nevada Summerfest (less than 50% of the price of the Stone Ruination) and really enjoyed it. Nice and smooth and another beer that's perfect after working in the yard or while standing over the BBQ grill. This may just become my beer of choice for the summer of 2011.

i'm also working through a case of summerfest. great lager!

i am baffled about your comment that ruination was not nearly as hoppy as you expected. i don't think i've ever tasted a hoppier beer. what ipa's would you say are hoppier?

11. Jokerman

Jokerman Senior member

12. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

i am baffled about your comment that ruination was not nearly as hoppy as you expected. i don't think i've ever tasted a hoppier beer. what ipa's would you say are hoppier?

Maybe my taste buds are still traumatized from all the Hopslam I drank this winter.

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

what are some good belgian beers? i really like hoegaarden but im positive there are much better alternatives out there. any suggestions? where 2 kop?
    What style of beer do you like? Hoegaarden is a witbeer IIRC, so are you only looking for something similar or anything from Belgium?
    [​IMG]
    What are those? I can't really make out the labels.

14. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

What style of beer do you like? Hoegaarden is a witbeer IIRC, so are you only looking for something similar or anything from Belgium? What are those? I can't really make out the labels.
    I'm no beer connoisseur so I'm not sure what a witbeer is, but I just find that I like belgian beers in general, with hoegaarden being my favorite thus far. I enjoy the occasional blue moon. I know that's not much to go on, but that's all I can offer right now (as a newly minted, unemployed college grad). I really hate bitter, hoppy beers like IPAs.