Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Beer Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by DNW, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Aaron01

Aaron01 Senior member

i love the noob guys who come in and post a random beer. no pics. no description. no nothing.

They're confused by the misleading title, this shit should be the Official Beer Thread or something [​IMG]

2. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

The wino's don't get to have all the fun! So as not to confuse the newbies any further, this will become the new posting spot for all beer related goodness.

4. Jokerman

Jokerman Senior member

Some new ones to try. Turns out I get a discount if I buy 12. Saved $10. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Aaron01

Aaron01 Senior member

I have Mikkeller's Beer Geek Weasel too, seems like it will be interesting

6. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

Awesome! Good idea Rambo! Hopefully I'll have some good stuff to post in here soon!

7. ChicagoMediaMan

ChicagoMediaMan Senior member

8. Jokerman

Jokerman Senior member

I think the title was to specific on the other one.

9. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I took Aaron's suggestion and ran with it. Hopefully this will save us from newbs posting one beer name and that's it.

Report back on the Mikkellar beer guys. They just started being distributed down here. Haven't had a chance to try their shit out yet.

10. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

Jokerman, let us know how that JW Lees is. My store has a bunch of that. I bought out their stock of the Harvest Ale. Delicious shit.

11. Jokerman

Jokerman Senior member

I actually had the JW Lee yesterday. It was interesting. It is pretty strong in alcohol and the taste of sherry is sorta overpowering. I must admit it was not worth the $9 dollars

12. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

If you can find the Harvest Ale, buy it. I have some from 08 and 06. Never even heard of it before until i heard some beer nerds talking about it.

13. Bradden

Bradden Well-Known Member

i love the noob guys who come in and post a random beer. no pics. no description. no nothing.

My apologies for my "noobness" Mort Subite is a lambic beer that I like especially during the short Canadian patio season Kriek is the cherry version, fruit offsets the bitterness that the lambic process creates. My apologies for no pics.

Mort Subite Kriek (From a T.O. Writer)

In their pure and unadulterated form, Belgian lambics are not beers to be trifled with. Brewed in open air vats where they are inoculated with wild yeasts and other wee beasties, and aged for years in wooden casks, these mutant brews develop flavours that are aggressively sour and funky, making them an acquired taste amongst even the geekiest of beer geeks.

Perhaps in attempt to temper this sourness, someone or other at some point in the past thought it might be a good idea to add some fruit to the mix. This addition can be handled a number of ways, from adding fresh fruit during fermentation, to cutting the pure lambic with fruit juice before packaging, to adding a flavoured syrup at the time of serving. Whichever method is chosen, there is an obvious effect on the flavour and sweetness of the brew, and those who find unflavoured lambics to be too sour and acidic will generally find the fruit versions more palatable.

It must be said, though, that the relative sweetness of fruit lambics can vary greatly between brands and producers, with the method used to infuse the fruit being the main reason for the variation. More traditional lambic brewers tend to use the method of adding fresh fruit during fermentation, and they generally stick with the classically used fruits such as sour cherry (Kriek), raspberry (Framboise), peach (Pêche) and blackcurrant (Cassis), resulting in a beverage that is still quite tart and complex. Brewers looking to appeal to a larger number of drinkers, meanwhile, tend to use the easier method of adding fruit extracts and other sweeteners later in the brewing process, and often use less traditional fruits like apple, banana, plum and pineapple, creating beers that can be as sweet as soda-pop.

Sitting somewhere in the middle of that sweet-sour flavour spectrum are the Mort Subite line of both flavoured and unflavoured lambics from Belgium's De Keersmaeker/Alken-Maes Brewery. The name, which is shared with an historic pub in Brussels, means "sudden death" in Latin, a moniker that is a bit more threatening than these pleasant beers deserve. Considered by many purists to be good "starter lambics", the Mort Subite beers are brewed using traditional methods and sweetened slightly, but not enough to push them into the sugar-bomb category of some of the less traditional lambics.

It has a clear ruby-red appearance with a large pink head, and an inviting aroma of tart cherries with a slight woody character and a floral hint. Medium bodied with a nice crispness, it has a flavour that is very fruit forward - cherry, obviously, but also a bit of currant and cranberry - with a nice sweet-tart balance. The finish is moderately dry, with notes of oak and quick hops.

14. Bradden

Bradden Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I am looking for some recommendations for aged beer. My knowledge in specialty beer is as deep as my post count. I am visiting a friend who is into barrel aged beers and I would like to bring a few bottles. We always put a little dent into his collection and I would like to return his generosity.

Any help would be well appreciated.

Thanks !

15. lefty

lefty Senior member

^I had this a while ago.

[​IMG]

No carbonation and almost port-like. Drink with rich food.

lefty