• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Beer Thread

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I can't get any of these
plain.gif

No idea what Nugget Nectar is.

I can still find Double Trouble around these parts (it's a seasonal), Dreadnaught is always available and Blind Pig is only available in Cali and maybe Colorado. By the way if anyone is looking for any of this year's Dark Lord, I may or may not have a pair of tickets to Dark Lord Day and may or may not buy and or have access to at least 8 bottles ($15 each.) I also forgot to mention Firestone Walker Double Jack, you should look into it...

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Supposedly Nugget Nectar is very close to Pliny the Elder, but more readily available. I had a bottle the other night and was surprised how freaking balanced it was for a beer that was 100 IBUs.

I agree. I keep adding to my Nugget Nectar stash. It is my favorite of the readily available beers.

Although my wife does not like it. She thinks Nugget Nectar is too bitter.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Double Trouble and Hopslam are both very good beers. Hopslam insanity is a bit over the top but at least it lives up to the hype. It's a very balanced beer, Double Trouble a little less so. Nugget Nectar, personally, I'd put below both of those.

KBS insanity really is off the rails but I actually like the beer a lot. the '10 is better than the '11 in my opinion but that may just be due to the age.

I just racked my IPA to secondary and I'll add the oak chips next week for 2 days. I'm going to drink this one nice, fresh, and fruity.

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a Meantime IPA today in the beer garden of the Meantime brewery's pub, The Greenwich Union. Warm and nearly cloudless in London; delicious, delicious beer.. bliss.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The store in my town got two cases of KBS, two bottles/person. My friend got two bottles and brought some over last night and will be robocopping two more bottles for tonight.

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Double Trouble and Hopslam are both very good beers. Hopslam insanity is a bit over the top but at least it lives up to the hype. It's a very balanced beer, Double Trouble a little less so. Nugget Nectar, personally, I'd put below both of those.

KBS insanity really is off the rails but I actually like the beer a lot. the '10 is better than the '11 in my opinion but that may just be due to the age.

I just racked my IPA to secondary and I'll add the oak chips next week for 2 days. I'm going to drink this one nice, fresh, and fruity.

The hype around Hopslam is a bit much, but I agree that it does live up to the hype! I still haven't found a beer that can top it!

I also tried the Dogfishhead Aprihop over the weekend after seeing it on here. I must say that it was surprisingly good. I was a little worrried that it was going to be much like Magic Hat #9, and it is far from that. It taste like a real IPA with a slight apricot taste to it.

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
Has anyone tried that Kalamazoo Stout from Bells? I picked some up over the weekend and haven't had a chance to have one yet.

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Agreed! I liked the Stone IPA and the Brutal Bitter quite well, the KBS was okay, and the Raging ***** and the Ruination were "meh" for me.

Ruination is alright, it's a good everyday drinker type beer if you have easy, cheap access to it. Stone IPA is alright. I like Double Bastard better than Oaked Arrogant Bastard. A lot of Stone's stuff is hopped the **** out

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoMediaMan
Has anyone tried that Kalamazoo Stout from Bells? I picked some up over the weekend and haven't had a chance to have one yet.

haven't had one, but i am an avid fan of the Expedition Stout by Bell's

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tooch4321
I can still find Double Trouble around these parts (it's a seasonal), Dreadnaught is always available and Blind Pig is only available in Cali and maybe Colorado. By the way if anyone is looking for any of this year's Dark Lord, I may or may not have a pair of tickets to Dark Lord Day and may or may not buy and or have access to at least 8 bottles ($15 each.) I also forgot to mention Firestone Walker Double Jack, you should look into it...
I'll take one, and anything else worth trying out, if you can get it. DT and Dreadnaught as well. Hell, send me as much good **** as you can get your hands on. One of those stupid ******* KBS's as well. Just so I can try the damn thing already.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
I'm finding beer tasting, Rambo, something like perfumes... the ones that get hyped to no end typically end up making me go, "meh." I'm pretty new to the world of craft beers, but I'm figuring out quickly (like perfume) what I like and what I don't. Nevertheless, I must admit now I approach beer tasting like perfume sampling; I go with my gut and my taste, and though I may try and appreciate what's going on in something (OMG it's got nectar from Nefertiti's Ass in it, can you taste the bouquet?) I won't drink more of it if I don't "like" it. Same with perfume; I don't like benzoin, and I don't like tonka, so while I can appreciate those tonka-wonders, I won't be buying them.
lol8[1].gif
I wasn't thrilled with Hopslam; I tend to like hoppy stuff, but I just didn't find it nearly as good as Two-Hearted, which is my "go to" Bells. I actually enjoyed the Aprihop (Dogfish Head) that I mentioned the other day much more, just based on my "taste." KBS, like randallr said, is good, but it, too I'd never travel to the ends of the earth to find. It's the kind of thing I was glad to have only in a small amount. BUT, having had all the bourbon-y beers (being from KY, I HAVE to try them!), I do say I liked it better. But, again, not for $6 or more a bottle. I'm still wondering (tooch?) if anybody ever got to try the 120min IPA from Dogfish Head? Their 60min and 90min I like well, and I've just wondered what's the deal with the 120. My local bar (literally across the street) has had 90min on tap for the past few weeks and it's about to interfere with my livelihood. haha j/k

Welcome my son! Welcome to the wonderful world of beer. Sorry, no civet here. You'll just have to do. A lot of these guys have access to brews I don't so I can't comment on many of the things that they get. KBS for one. I got one of the ApriHop's to try, based on your say so. If you need any recs my inbox is always open.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads