• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes, sandals) thread (Guidi, CCP, Augusta, M.

thatoneguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

KaramF

Reaction score
Now that we got the shell question out of the way, what does everyone think of these? I’ve wanted them for a while and they’re my favourite mmoria boots, and they suit my wardrobe more than any other model. The store I picked them up from had them in my size in a special edition that was made for that store only. Pretty impressed with the leather and kinda happy they’re not the shell they usually use as I’m not a big fan of how it ages and how it looks after a few wears.

Attachments

• C9A96B20-568E-4986-BB83-250115B71948.jpeg
    C9A96B20-568E-4986-BB83-250115B71948.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 269
  • DDE43C11-7B33-4AA3-A203-68E83F7D3A7E.jpeg
    DDE43C11-7B33-4AA3-A203-68E83F7D3A7E.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 262
  • 8ABA8AE0-1D14-45ED-B5AA-A8AAF2E903E1.jpeg
    8ABA8AE0-1D14-45ED-B5AA-A8AAF2E903E1.jpeg
    138.9 KB · Views: 253
  • 819A44A4-8308-4897-AA20-1B0EA33BD75A.jpeg
    819A44A4-8308-4897-AA20-1B0EA33BD75A.jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 275
  • 43925719-1181-4904-8185-72E728101E23.jpeg
    43925719-1181-4904-8185-72E728101E23.jpeg
    128.8 KB · Views: 318

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Now that we got the shell question out of the way, what does everyone think of these? I’ve wanted them for a while and they’re my favourite mmoria boots, and they suit my wardrobe more than any other model. The store I picked them up from had them in my size in a special edition that was made for that store only. Pretty impressed with the leather and kinda happy they’re not the shell they usually use as I’m not a big fan of how it ages and how it looks after a few wears.

Looks cool but I wonder if the CDiem models would look more interesting in your fit.

KaramF

Reaction score
Looks cool but I wonder if the CDiem models would look more interesting in your fit.
I was just trying them on for size and comfort. I’m planning to wear them with something else, probably with CCP high neck coat and black jeans they’d look more interesting with those

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was just trying them on for size and comfort. I’m planning to wear them with something else, probably with CCP high neck coat and black jeans they’d look more interesting with those

Don’t get me wrong boots are legit, outfit wasn’t an issue I just like CDiem better

nyarkies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shell cordovan plus regular horse leather for the shaft?

KaramF

Reaction score
Leather is Horween cordovan, the creasing is not bad, it looks fine under real light. I’ve had a pair of Santoni classic boots in Shell, built like a tank and the leather survived two years of almost everyday wear, but scratched and got dirty so easily and I’ve had to look after it more than I do with my other boots

cpollard

Reaction score
based on your photos alone i would guess these are the "mixed" cordovan/horsebutt leather that altieri offers shoes in at a slightly lower price point*. in other words they are made with cuts offered by horween that contain both true (reverse) shell cordovan and regular horse leather in one contiguous piece. in other words it's cut from the entire horse butt BEFORE the shells are separated from the horse strip/"north of cordovan." a1923 and carol also use this leather (from horween and from other suppliers) under other stylized names like "scarred cordovan," etc. altieri himself has used a couple different names on the linesheet throughout the years -- "matte cordovan," i think "abject cordovan" was one. in fact only portions of the leather used on any of these shoes are cordovan, whereas other portions are not cordovan at all. so basically everyone is in the right here, but also in the wrong . . .

googling real quick, here is a picture of what must be horween horse butt (note the two shells are still attached together in one contiguous piece, not separated into two shells):

on the shoes in your photos you can see that the quarter of the boot is not cordovan, but horse leather. (when we say that cordovan does not crease, we mean it does not crease. ever, under any circumstances. leather that creases is not shell.) whereas the toe looks (in these photos) like it could be a section of shell cordovan.

at a certain point this conversation is useless to have because we've gotten to a point where most people believe what is and isn't cordovan is a matter of opinion. but you deserve to have the true information about your shoes, which look good, and this is that info. hope this is helpful ...

* ymmv, i am not a licensed m_moriabc retailer.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
based on your photos alone i would guess these are the "mixed" cordovan/horsebutt leather that altieri offers shoes in at a slightly lower price point*. in other words they are made with cuts offered by horween that contain both true (reverse) shell cordovan and regular horse leather in one contiguous piece. in other words it's cut from the entire horse butt BEFORE the shells are separated from the horse strip/"north of cordovan." a1923 and carol also use this leather (from horween and from other suppliers) under other stylized names like "scarred cordovan," etc. altieri himself has used a couple different names on the linesheet throughout the years -- "matte cordovan," i think "abject cordovan" was one. in fact only portions of the leather used on any of these shoes are cordovan, whereas other portions are not cordovan at all. so basically everyone is in the right here, but also in the wrong . . .

googling real quick, here is a picture of what must be horween horse butt (note the two shells are still attached together in one contiguous piece, not separated into two shells):

View attachment 1239807

on the shoes in your photos you can see that the quarter of the boot is not cordovan, but horse leather. (when we say that cordovan does not crease, we mean it does not crease. ever, under any circumstances. leather that creases is not shell.) whereas the toe looks (in these photos) like it could be a section of shell cordovan.

at a certain point this conversation is useless to have because we've gotten to a point where most people believe what is and isn't cordovan is a matter of opinion. but you deserve to have the true information about your shoes, which look good, and this is that info. hope this is helpful ...

well said, i am glad you wrote that up but i explained this exact point multiple times.

KaramF

Reaction score

View attachment 1239807

Very appreciated Cpollard, your answer is informative. Here’s another picture of the exact same boots I got that supports what you said regarding the toe of the boots being shell, while the rest is horse

Attachments

• BA437000-62AC-469A-BF35-9FAE8D18959E.jpeg
    BA437000-62AC-469A-BF35-9FAE8D18959E.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 682

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads