• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes, sandals) thread (Guidi, CCP, Augusta, M.

pbdeng4

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, everyone. I was able to try some in person and I actually ended up going with a size 42 in the 986. I really am a true 42.5/9.5D brannock so this was fairly surprising. I'm able to slip in some Superfeet half insoles, otherwise it just feels very secure to me.

Dibidoolandas

Reaction score
Thinking of grabbing a pair of 992s, but so much conflicting info about sizing. I'm a 10.5 TTS, 10 in mainline Ramones/Geobasket... Conventional wisdom makes me think a 44.5 would be ideal but half sizes are hard to come by. And I'm seeing more and more that are being advertised as TTS - has Guidi changed their sizing in more recent models?

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@onijo84 not sure if you ever did anything, but I recommend Bick 4 for shell. Don't let it dry out, it will crack and you will be very sad. Bick 4 is a light, water based conditioner that will not darken the finish, or strip it in any way. It barely has any wax, so it will not shine up. This is the opposite of Saphir renovateur, which is a cleaner with wax in it - that's why it's known to strip finishes and leaves somewhat of a shine afterwards.

doodledo

Reaction score
Guidi's newer model 992X fits true to size for me, it is good for those with wider feet like myself as the toebox area has more room width wise.

onijo84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@onijo84 not sure if you ever did anything, but I recommend Bick 4 for shell. Don't let it dry out, it will crack and you will be very sad. Bick 4 is a light, water based conditioner that will not darken the finish, or strip it in any way. It barely has any wax, so it will not shine up. This is the opposite of Saphir renovateur, which is a cleaner with wax in it - that's why it's known to strip finishes and leaves somewhat of a shine afterwards.
Thanks mate. I was checking out Bick 4 before posting here to hear what others have to say. At this moment, nothing has been applied. Sinnedk got in touch with the guys over at PNP and they recommended that I should just leave the shells alone. I am still looking to get something to condition these. I had a shell derby(L-0) years back that cracked along the creases when I wore them without caring much about moisturizing its leather uppers. I might consider getting this.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks mate. I was checking out Bick 4 before posting here to hear what others have to say. At this moment, nothing has been applied. Sinnedk got in touch with the guys over at PNP and they recommended that I should just leave the shells alone. I am still looking to get something to condition these. I had a shell derby(L-0) years back that cracked along the creases when I wore them without caring much about moisturizing its leather uppers. I might consider getting this.

I would heavily consider conditioning sooner rather than later, especially if you're in a dry area. Bick 4 is my recommendation (and that of the shoe care thread). There's really no risk with it. Hope it works out!

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guidi sizing is really tough as:
- The models have different toeboxes, etc. and can fit very differently depending on your foot
- The reason they fit a size down is because they are dyed and tumbled after they are made, resulting in shrinkage
- The non-tumbled leathers (hand-dyed, undyed Guidi and Rosellini models) fit TTS regardless
- Some of the leathers stretch quite a bit

You either have to know your size or buy from a place with a good return policy.

nyarkies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
- The reason they fit a size down is because they are dyed and tumbled after they are made, resulting in shrinkage
- Some of the leathers stretch quite a bit
That seems to be a conundrum and a problem waiting to happen. Do you buy your size which ends up fitting small and hope it stretches eventually or buy one size up and hope it doesn't end up becoming too big after some use?

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually buy a size up and put a slim insole in if it stretches. I've done with with both my 992 derbies and backzips. One of the nice things about the guidi calf and FG horse is that it's pretty soft and comfy, but it also has quite a bit of give

All these artisanal shoe brands are kind of a crapshoot when it comes to sizing

nyarkies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the stretch is very minimal, I can see using an insole to work. But if it stretches a full size up, using an insole for it to just fit is just setting yourself up for foot problems in the future.

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sized up 1 and now have a superfeet black insole in. Backzips and derbies

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads