1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes, sandals) thread (Guidi, CCP, Augusta, M.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by eckblk, Jun 10, 2011.

1. psydle

psydle Senior member

Thanks man!

I love that we all use vibram as a verb here.

so my next question is, does anyone here request a layer to be removed from the heel when adding Vibram or do you just go right over top of the whole stack. I find this usually ads over 1/4 inch to the heel and can change the profile of the design. I've asked for thin material once before but it ended up being so thin that it started to wear back to the nails underneath almost immediately. Any suggestions on what to ask for that would be in between? Brands other than Vibram for the heel portion perhaps?

2. eckblk

eckblk Senior member

I request a layer be taken off the heel. My cobbler will take more if needed to ensure the boot is " balanced ".

1 person likes this.
  3. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

if i sent all my stuff to fj western and asked them to do whatever you ask them to do, will they accommodate? :foo:

please do it eckblk style :foo::foo::foo::foo:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. bdude

bdude Senior member

^^ i do same! Luckily my cobbler was well trained by Fenix (SZ) so he has been fantastic in keeping the "balance" and then some ( ccp repairs i wont get into here). So for montreal i trust only him ( and i am crazy picky)

5. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

Fok aka la guy aka owner of sf stated not to link hailed and that's that. He thinks they have shady practices.

Idk I think it may be deeper than that and have something to do with traffic and money but that isn't clear. Anywyas none of my business at this point.

6. psydle

psydle Senior member

so @bdude your CCP tornados no longer have the layer with the split section on the heel under the vibram?

7. bdude

bdude Senior member

^^ hmm good question. When looking on the side of the heel i do not see a indication of a split [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  8. Jbravo

Jbravo Senior member

What about some fine BBS at EUR 500?

[​IMG]

9. bdude

bdude Senior member

^^ not that crazy about these, rather some of his sneaks ( only few models tho)

10. Jbravo

Jbravo Senior member

I like his footwear actually. not so versatile some of them but nevetheless interesting

11. psydle

psydle Senior member

hmm, the rubber layer looks thinner than what I've been getting too. I'll have to ask to look at some options next time I go in. My a1923 dual zips are running naked right now and I certainly don't want to change the balance of those at all.

12. bdude

bdude Senior member

To be pricise my cobbler used topy for these ( as well as my augustas and guidis) he says topy is thinner and does not need too much of leather shaven. So far i have had no problems with topy ( 2 years on my guids)

13. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Senior member

I think those are his nicest boots, pretty rare too I believe since he makes them uglier now

1 person likes this.
  14. psydle

psydle Senior member

@bdude good to know, thanks. I'll ask about doing that instead.

15. uzairh

uzairh Senior member

[​IMG]

Soon...

4 people like this.
  16. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

17. twdawson

twdawson Senior member

just bought my first pair of Layer-0 boots via David from Sartorialoft (DHC ~ SZ; check out his classifieds, a lot of great stuff left)

reverse cordovan in a mottled dark brown ... beautiful & built like a tank:

[​IMG]

heavy lighting to show color movement:
    [​IMG]

and because i need money... took some new pics of my FOR. SALE. Carpe S63M in natural light

[​IMG]

amazing; but all the PMs i've received are either crazy lowballs or people asking y u sell?!

kids these days...

(related: dammit somebody buy eckblk S61Ms already.. beyond a steal)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  18. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

I haven't had issues with Topy, but I haven't had the same longevity. I put them on my MMM side zips and replaced them after a year and change. They are my most worn pair of boots fwiw. I have them on other boots of mine as well.

19. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Topy and Vibram are just brand names, each have different models with different thicknesses of soles + heels... I use a generic brand. They're all the same in the end.
    And yes, a good cobbler will shave the right amount so no height is lost/gained with the addition of a rubber sole and heel. Yes, this means they chop off some of the boot. I usually have an 8mm heel put on so I don't have to replace them more than once every two years or so.

edit: Here's some of mine for reference
    You can see the cobbler is good too because the front part of the rubber sole lies flush and the heel has been shaved very naturally

Black boots I will do 8mm just because I don't like having mine redone every year (I walk a lot)
    [​IMG]

For these I opted for a slightly thinner one (I think these are 6mm) to keep more of the original heel because it looks cool
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  20. Pairate

Pairate Senior member

If you take a 44 in a1923, check eBay. Good price too.