1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes, sandals) thread (Guidi, CCP, Augusta, M.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by eckblk, Jun 10, 2011.

1. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

I haven't noticed a difference when vibraming shoes. Question for you all - my cobbler only does the front of the shoe, not the heel. Is this standard, should I ask for him to do the heel too if not, or if so should I get a heel tap? Both pairs have replaceable rubber bits on the rear (but not front) of the heel.

2. eton97

eton97 Senior member

Strange...considering the heel always wears quicker than the sole.
    I get both the heel and the sole vibramed within the first week. (Obviously he removes some of the original heel so that the height isn't changed)

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  3. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

CM gonna cast you out.

4. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Naw I still have lots of gear. :)

What are IE pants and what do they run?

I prefer not to cover the soles of any of my shoes. They never look as nice afterwards. But I do understand the desire/need to do so.

5. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

I asked him about it and he said he would just replace the heel when it wore out. I don't know what's involved in that, these aren't Augusta shoes with weird nails and stuff so it might not be a big deal.

6. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Senior member

where'd you find those wonderful MA+ stitches? I haven't seen anyone stock that model this year

7. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

No matter how good the Vibram is, when you are sitting with your sole exposed or walking, the Vibram will be visible. Maybe it's insignificant to you, but for me it's a big difference. Seeing roughed-up leather looks a lot cooler than plastic.

8. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

I used to care about Vibram... not any more. At least not on boots. Function > form.

9. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

eBay. Link provided by uzair and nahneun. Love em. Brand spanking new and price was siiiiiiick.

10. chomeo

chomeo Senior member

those nails on the bottom of Augustas are purely for aesthetic and not functional. at least that's what my cobbler tells me when he removed part of my leather soles for vibram.

11. jordache jeans

jordache jeans Senior member

Without a vibram/topy, I was wearing out the edges on the heel and toe down about .5 cm within a few months and getting to the point where I was exposing the stitching on the sole (the welt?). Could be b/c of how I walk and over pronate, but just can't wear these boots without sole protectors on now.

12. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

IE pants are around $500 range.

Vibram.... my thoughts are same as @Mr. Moo, function > form. My reasons to vibram are it gives me tread and saves me cash when i need to replace the sole. Its cheaper to replace rubber than leather. One caveat is that if you vibram the heel too, it will raise the shoe a bit.

Your call really. I vibram everything now mainly because i wear done the heel quickly and want tread.

I hear you but no one looks at the sole of a show and if you do judge the look of a shoe based on the sole being leather or having vibram then thats just silly.

2 people like this.
  13. uzairh

uzairh Senior member

More like $600 for IE pants.

Also, putting vibram on the heel does not raise the shoe; not even a little bit. That's how my cobbler does it.

1 person likes this.
  14. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

the vibram itself depending on the thickness can

15. uzairh

uzairh Senior member

Nope...

I have had vibram from less than 1mm to greater than 1cm put without issues....

16. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

i dont understand how 1cm of vibram added would not raise the shoe a bit?

17. eckblk

eckblk Senior member

The cobbler should remove a layer of leather from the heel to offset the difference in height from the vibram (heel). Otherwise, the boot would not be balanced, the boot would lean forward.

1 person likes this.
  18. bdude

bdude Senior member

^^ exactly

19. uzairh

uzairh Senior member

What would happen if the heel was shaved off the right amount and then the vibram was put?

20. eckblk

eckblk Senior member

^^ You'd have a perfectly balanced boot! :) ta-da