1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes, sandals) thread (Guidi, CCP, Augusta, M.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by eckblk, Jun 10, 2011.

1. eckblk

eckblk Senior member

The toebox on Carol's boot is too pointed for me personally; however, I do love actual tornado zip design itself

I prefer the toebox shape Simone is using for some of SS14:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  2. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

1. Distressed != Plain, your initial question is flawed. And, I highly doubt any of the boots look like your "EMT" boot.
    2. To really understand and appreciate the type of footwear discussed here, you have to appreciate the whole avant grade fashion. It is hard to wear these types of shoes with certain regular brands. The boots normally compliment the designer's other clothing. I recommend not being so close minded and jumping into a thread criticizing the subject. I've done it and learned not to. Its far better to pop in and ask a few questions.

True, I came into this thread looking at many of the boots and saying what the F is this. However, over time i started doing a bit more research and getting more interested as the thread received traction. I own some of the favorite brands and am pretty happy with them.

3. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

dont instigate

4. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

Fair enough lots of people don't like the cowboy boot look, i always did so they appealed to me.

I rarely see you post that you like something outside of CD, is there anything in this style of footwear that appeals to you (non CD)?

5. goosedog

goosedog Member

got my m.a+ camel staple boots 4 months ago today.. here's how they're looking.. just for fun

cheers
    [​IMG]

9 people like this.
  6. Jbravo

Jbravo Senior member

Are they brownish or its just lighting?

7. goosedog

goosedog Member

that's just the light / shitty iPhone camera. They're coal.

8. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

Guy on SZ posted pic of his closet :drool:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11 people like this.
  9. eton97

eton97 Senior member

Agreed 100%

10. el Bert

el Bert Senior member

Straight baller even though I really dislike all those sneakers.

1 person likes this.
  11. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

I don't want any of the clothes or shoes. Give me that closet.

12. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Senior member

Guy's closet looks like a showroom. Pretty jealous..

13. wogbog

wogbog Senior member

That's what I thought. I probably want some of the clothes and shoes too though.

14. jet

jet Senior member

i've never found an augusta style i loved but i'm more into round than pointed these days, i'm really particular about the toebox shape i guess

cd is the best, guidi toebox looks too blobby in some photos and in some they're good, i like margiela og toebox but for these brands i think the japanese brands do it decently

so depressing, everything including closet black i'd kill myself if i had to get dressed to that

i'd prefer some dark canadian maple instead, or black walnut, or some exotic wood with some fucking character

conceptually it is pretty baller though

2 people like this.
  15. a bag of it

a bag of it Senior member

Can somebody explain guidi to me, or link me to the history? Sorry for being such a noob. Why do many of these brands/designers seem to have little or no online presence outside of these and other forums?

16. uzairh

uzairh Senior member

A1923 AW14-15 = Wow!

17. eckblk

eckblk Senior member

U- just saw it too. Love that some of the older styles are coming back.

18. eckblk

eckblk Senior member

Guidi leather or footwear? If the latter, here is a great read:

via SZ::

I just happened to stumble upon this site and the current forum and have enjoyed everyone's comments. If possible, I would like to add something from the designer side of things...

I am a designer and colleague of Maurizio Altieri. We both showed our first Paris collections in the same place in 1993 along the banks of the Seine. We both have had many ups and downs in our careers. This business is like that.

He was showing Carpe Diem, although a very different concept than what it later became, and I was pioneering the crazy concept at the time, that an American designer could do avant-garde in Paris and actually make it, (Rick Owens, Jeremy Scott and quite a few others followed later).

Without going into details, we took off for awhile doing some of the world's earliest recycled designer work and grew a lot. But Maurizio suffered a lot during the next five years and made huge personal sacrifices before beginning his truly successful run with Carpe Diem. And I respect him as a friend and as one of the few real artists in the field, so I need to point out that he alone was the pioneer and creator of the look that so many have been imitating and copying in the past 4 years. Period.

This is the real and important difference people need to know about the 3 different brands.

And this is why when you really look at the pieces carefully from all aspects, there is a real difference. Without Maurizio, none of the other 2 brands would even look the way they do, if even exist at all. I know the fellow behind Guidi. Yes, he was the leather supplier for Maurizio. And with all respect to him and to the wonderful writer who posted earlier in this forum, I do not think he is Jesus. He is a very shrewd businessman. Believe me, I have learned in this business to spot them from miles away. He supplied Maurizio, saw how much money CD was making, and started supplying many others, then coming to Paris every designer week, and then surprise-- doing his own label too (even hiring ex CD salespeople to contact the stores for him), eventually replacing CD in many stores because he sold look alikes for less. Pure business. No more. No less. 99.9 percent of the industry works this way. H&M and Zara are no different. The price you pay for Maurizio is higher and justifiably so. Somebody had to start the whole thing. The idea. The research. The first prototypes. The first orders and distribution (Maurizio even went personally himself to the stores to write the first orders door to door). The lower price for Guidi is cool, but I really have to emphasize, that the purchaser is not getting the same thing, and people need to know.

The designer of Augusta worked and trained as an assistant with Maurizio and has been able to benefit from all the resources, know-how and advantages doing so. Whether, he will be able to carve out his own truly individual thing and hang in there long enough to survive what many believe is the toughest business in the world...remains to be seen. He had a great master. Hopefully he was a good student. We wish him well.

As for the defunct Carpe-Diem thing, I also want to say that it was a voluntary decision by Maurizio. CD was very successful and he did very well with it. But what would you do in his shoes, if you had created a very special artistic thing and saw your partners all try to become exploiters of the concept in their own interests? You might get sick of the whole thing and shut the doors too. Man does not live by bread alone. Real artists even more so.

The fact is that Maurizio's work and contribution are his alone. And those that want the real thing need to understand that his brand is the original and the authentic one. Those that want look alikes can settle for the others. And new emerging designers that want to make a serious contribution need to invent really new things that are truly theirs alone---then hang on long enough and survive the rest of the industry (from suppliers to retailers) that will copy them a million times over and try to make sure the buying public knows nothing about them. Believe me, there are some really good working designers out there being blocked by an industry trying to play safer and safer every season. But that's another story.

If you only knew what really goes on in this industry...

That's all I have time for. I have late store deliveries waiting and another Paris collection coming up in 5 weeks. Sorry, I hope I have not pissed anybody off with my comments. If so, I apologize profusely. I only wanted to give Maurizio Altieri some due credit for his contribution to the field.

Thanks for reading and best wishes to all,

Geoffrey B. Small

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    6 people like this.
  19. jet

jet Senior member

^i remember that post when he made it

pics of new collection guys, i'm lazy

20. el Bert

el Bert Senior member

Pretty interesting read and also that he himself is a designer and for him to make a statement like that in a public forum it's pretty ballsy.