1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes, sandals) thread (Guidi, CCP, Augusta, M.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by eckblk, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Exdeath

Exdeath Senior member

Could someone please explain to me the obsession with side-zip distressed-to-shit plain black boots? Are they magically comfortable or distinctive or something?

I might be a streetwear noob, but I just don't see the appeal in stuff that costs half a kidney and looks like my old issued EMT boots after a truck just ran over them.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. jet

jet Senior member

so glad i never bought ccp boots

my buddy is friends with simone but i don't think he makes anything i really like but he said he can make anything

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  3. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

why?

4. Jbravo

Jbravo Senior member

So he would pay his rent and would not be evicted.

5. MickeyPunch

MickeyPunch Senior member

I see your point. While I love how most CD, A1923 and other boots look and I can appreciate the craftmanship behind them, I've also wondered the same.

I mean, this thread along the leather jackets one are my two favourites in SF, but sometimes I wonder why we love how some distressed boots or jackets look but at the same time most people in SF despise heavily distressed jeans and they only like raw denim and consider wearing pre-distressed like 'cheating'.

For example, if I were to post a pair of non-raw PRPS jeans in the WAYWT thread, probably I wouldn't get many positive comments, but if I post a (pre)distressed pair of Carpes, I'd probably get compliments.

I think my next boots are going to be a pair of Wolverines, not baller but they look good when beaten up.

I will still love the boots posted in this thread, though.

6. bdude

bdude Senior member

^^ dont agree:
    1.A lot of designers discussed here are not "distressed" - MA+, VA, RO, many CD models, Devoa, Lien, Obscur, Guidi back zps etc etc
    2. When talking about "distressed" what we generaly appreciate is the leather treatment - it gives a unique feel/look to the leather. if you have handled CCP or a1923 you will feel the huge difference (with regular mass produced/cheaper brands) The treatment is there to add to a certain aesthetique specific to the designer not just to make it look "used"... And sometimes works better then others

7. Jbravo

Jbravo Senior member

Mikey, which Wolverines - 1000 mile? Good choice, imo. I was (and still am) debating between those and red wings beckman. I'll probably decide in favour of Wolverines. Post fit pictures when you get them.

Some pre-distressed jeans look good imo. Depends on the wash, really. Distressing on most prps that I have seen is over the top and to me that does not look appealing, cheapens the overall look (even though the stuff costs fortune). On the other hand, I've seen slightly distressed models that look superb. I own two pairs of prps- one is a 'one-wash' rambler and the other one is just faded. I also own a pair of heavily distressed selvage jeans by John Bull which I don't wear that much.

Distressing on the footwear of CCP, Simone and some other designers discussed here look natural and congruous as against the distressing on certain jeans that looks rather cheap. Also, leather obviously comes from a dead animal, who probably had a difficult life, had to go though all kinds of shit so such leather should not necessarily be all the way smooth and perfect. In a way, distressing and imperfections (even though intentionally done by the shoemaker) reflect the natural state of such leather. On the other hand, the same cannot be said about jeans.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  8. artishard116

artishard116 Senior member

hide-m order came in! 991 in cordovan cont. holger was great to deal with.
    [​IMG]

17 people like this.
  9. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

There has literally never been a situation where someone came into a thread here, said, "I don't like this, explain it to me!" and actually had any real interest in learning. This post is no exception.

9 people like this.
  10. ClambakeSkate

ClambakeSkate Senior member

Excellent looking boots.

These are the exact boots I want. Were these custom? What are the specifics of the order? Cost?

Also, is the Cordovan Cont pretty substantial? It's essentially reversed Cordovan, correct?

11. jet

jet Senior member

they are something I changed my mind on and not regrettably so, cool to look at but not to wear

over the years they look more and more like cowboy boots which i dislike

12. Exdeath

Exdeath Senior member

I don't mind learning. Hey, tastes change if there's a good enough reason behind them. A few years ago I'd have loved boots like those. A few months back I wouldn't even wear suede. Things you like are always cyclical.

13. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

Yeah, but you can't be "convinced" into an aesthetic. It happens organically. Nobody can explain the objective benefits of bulbous toes and mutant leather.

2 people like this.
  14. Jbravo

Jbravo Senior member

They do look like cowboy boots, true. I think Carol was initially inspired by cowboy boots when creating this design.

15. artishard116

artishard116 Senior member

Yes custom, needed a 43.5. Contact holger for a quote.
    Cordovan cont. is very thick but still pliable. My fav guidi leather i've handled.

16. DLester

DLester Senior member

I wish I could thumb this twice

also, those boots are awesome art

2 people like this.
  17. ipractice

ipractice Senior member

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  18. eckblk

eckblk Senior member

HD01R = reverse destroyed horse

19. MS007

MS007 Senior member

Guidis look great!

You must have sinned on ignore.

1 person likes this.
  20. BillKillgore

BillKillgore Senior member

Anyone know of any decent replacement laces? Just tore my carpe ones apart by accident and they're way too short now.