1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes, sandals) thread (Guidi, CCP, Augusta, M.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by eckblk, Jun 10, 2011.

1. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

yes, comparing an unauthorized, shittily-made knockoff with a licensed variant produced by someone who worked at the brand from which the design originates is certainly a fair comparison

give me a fucking break. this is pure brand elitism.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
    3 people like this.
  2. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

lol dude. h&m x mmm boots are authorized by mmm. does that mean they're made to the same standard of quality? not saying mmm boots are the pinnacle of quality, but seriously.

3. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

that's a completely bullshit comparison, much like your picasso analogy, and you know it. however, your implication is that the jun model is not as high quality as the carpe one. i'm legitimately interested in knowing why.

4. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

Do indulge me why it's a bullshit comparison

5. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

I think it's really obvious to anyone –including you – why comparing H&M's shitty MMM boot to jun's boots is a bullshit comparison. I'm sincerely not going to indulge your obstinance.

---

For anyone who wanted those Lien boots, you can order them now: http://ks-clothing.com/SHOP/75183/77966/list.html

6. Abraxis

Abraxis Senior member

Because h&m X mmm boots certainly aren't made to the same standards, techniques, caliber of materials etc as mmm boots. That's pretty apparent.

While Jun Hashimoto's boots may be made by the same factories, but if not then definitely the same techniques and same caliber of materials. I think the first few iterations were mentioned to have been made of carpe leather, but I don't have a reference so don't quote me on that ;p

I've handled them in his boutique and frankly the ones I handled had thicker and sturdier feeling leather than any carpe side zips I've ever handled/own.

1 person likes this.
  7. artishard116

artishard116 Senior member

I would guess the only people knocking the quality at this point are people who haven't owned/handled them. It's a non-issue.

8. jet

jet Senior member

from a carpe owner

-jun used to work there
    -ma and jun are homies
    -jun has his blessing
    -they are made to high standards
    -carpes are not made anymore
    -there is still a demand for them
    -jun realized you can't improve on perfection
    -jun makes them available again

i'm glad that i can still cop. Are cdiems better? Obviously because they are the original and standard, but these are a worthy substitute which I plan on copping. Jun isn't asking an unreasonable sum for them either.

3 people like this.
  9. fistinyoface

fistinyoface Senior member

The nail in the coffin? lmao. And now you're putting words in my mouth regarding quality. I don't care about their quality and never even mentioned it.

10. artishard116

My point was we don't need any more self-proclaimed experts in this thread making definitive statements about products they have no experience with. We already have a SinnedK.

3 people like this.
  11. artishard116

This. I'm happy to still be able to get my hands on something as good looking and high-quality for as low as $4-500.

2 people like this.
  12. fistinyoface

fistinyoface Senior member

I doubt anyone wants the honour of being sinnedk the second. Though I didn't see any definitive statements, except that I don't like replicas.

13. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

The irony of all this is Carpe Diems are almost exact replicas of boots Italian bricklayers wore in the 19th century. Maurizio was quite the history buff and lined his workshop with books on the Italian working class, but more importantly he collected bricks that fell off the roofs of Italian homes during that time. He was obsessed with bricks-- since the impact of one or two bricks was all it took to ruin most pairs of contemporary boots, it became his personal mission to replicate the stronger design of older pairs. Apparently, he'd ask assistants to stand on the roof of his office and throw bricks at his feet. He knew his designs were successful when, at the end of the day, his feet were no longer covered with gaping sores. So ultimately he created an effective replica but a replica nonetheless. Which means any argument about Carpes being original is moot.

6 people like this.
  14. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

15. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

16. jet

jet Senior member

sup with the bridle, how does it compare to horse

[​IMG]

17. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Bridle leather has light wax coating that will slowly come off after about a year. They start out as matte gray, end up a brilliant polished black. Slightly lighter than the heavier horse ones. I'm not sure of the details of where the leather is sourced, but it's definitely nicer than I usually see on shoes of this type. These are my favorite of his. (if anyone sees these in a 42, btw, give me a shout-out - been looking for awhile)

Waxed heavy horse is similar to destroyed horse on Carpe Diem. It will wear off with any abrasion and create a destroyed looking boot. I have a pair of derbies in these I like, but wouldn't want these as my only boot. Might be less pronounced on black.

Reverse calf is fantastic, really strong, beautiful matte color, and doesn't get beat up like waxed heavy horse.

The non-reversed leathers seem pretty decent as well but I've never looked too closely.

Here's pics of waxed heavy horse in brown and reverse calf in black. Both are on their second vibrams and heels and have about two-three years of medium wear:

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  18. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

Wow, definitely wish I had got those in 43 when they were still there. That sounds amazing.

19. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Don't suppose those backzips fit large?

20. jet

jet Senior member

^you're a 43 in those lace up boots?