1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes, sandals) thread (Guidi, CCP, Augusta, M.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by eckblk, Jun 10, 2011.

1. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Anyone can suggest a comparable alternative to Christophe Lemaire side zip boot? It is gorgeous but the shaft height paired with the side zip is making me cautious to wear it. I cannot bend my ankle essentially. It will take some breaking in and I'm just curious how it will effect the integrity of the zipper pull. Anyone have experience with really stiff leather ankle boots? There is also some heel slip but the shaft really holds your foot in place. If Fuuma is reading this I know you got experience with many makes of footwear like boots :eek:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  2. Jbravo

Jbravo Senior member

These are reverse horse culatta, color bone. Not sure about the year of the collection. I bought them in Moscow. .

3. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

This is actually a tangent to the issue at hand, but ask yourself this. Why do people buy Rick instead of Schott (It's not exactly the same because I don't see either as perfection, but the point should be clear enough)? Why buy a Dior Homme suit instead of a RLPL? There's a premium paid on design. Whether it's worth the premium is a fair question, but when you cater to a relatively affluent clientele who care more about the good than the price, gradual increases in prices don't really faze the buyer.

1 person likes this.
  4. bdude

bdude Senior member

Deleted!

5. shady_2001

shady_2001 Senior member

no sir, that's B-U-L-L-S-H-I-T

there is no boot in the world that is actually worth 2.4k, or even 1.5k (markups, taxes, blah blah). Of course, if you're willing to pay, that's a different story.
    Augusta's prices have SKYROCKETED, I could have picked up a derby at half price for about 500 euros IIRC. I know this for a fact because I was deliberating for a long time. Also, there are many small local producers throughout the world. In terms of volume I can't comment because I obviously don't have production figures, but what makes you think Simone is so special in this regard?

--ok this part is my opinion--
    Don't believe the joke in "quality improvement". His earliest work circa 2008 was probably the best in terms of leather. Good hides usually cost more than the absurdly deformed ones he puts out today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I believe they were like 1.2k? Inflation blah blah, but you can't deny price has doubled but..for what reason...?

2 people like this.
  6. Jbravo

Jbravo Senior member

Nicely put, shady. That makes a lot of sense.

And those green ones (both, actually) are fucking beautiful.

7. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

Stop thinking of Augusta as if it were a highly commoditized good with many alternatives. It's a luxury good that adheres to a very specific market which happens to consist of wealthy individuals. People with high levels of disposal income do not care if the good costs 1.2k or 2.4k. If they buy it, that's what the good is worth. It may not be the price YOU'RE willing to pay, but worth is not determined until a buyer and a seller mutually agree on a price. Doesn't matter if YOU don't think it's worth it as long as there's someone else who does. If there is a buyer who is willing pay a 200 dollar increase every year for the aesthetic, Simone has every right as the seller to price it that way. If it's rare, people will pay more for it.

2 people like this.
  8. fistinyoface

fistinyoface Senior member

I never stated they were worth 2k. They're worth whatever people will pay, and Simone has priced it accordingly. Clearly it's working as the footwear and clothing is selling.

If you want to play the Augusta game then open your wallet and not your mouth.

editing this in: There were boots going for over 2k back in 2008. Like or not, this stuff has been absurdly priced (for us regular folk) as long as it's been around.

1 person likes this.
  9. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

All fair points and worth consideration. I am certain Augusta's volume is not anywhere near any of the big house English manufacturers, and probably even smaller than Vass and St. Crispin. However, all of those brands are less expensive at retail (by a wide margin, even St. Crispin which starts at $1600).

Just imagine what would happen if Vass (or Edward Green, or Corthay, just to name 3 different countries' artisans) doubled their price over ~2 years. I am not sure if they would keep even 20% of their customers. Not sure what makes Augusta so special in that regard...

10. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

Well, to a certain degree, English shoes are more commoditized in the sense that you have considerably more alternatives at varying price points with marginal differences in shape. I'm clearly no expert on English shoemaking, but it's harder for me to tell the difference between, say, a Vass and an Edward Green. I'm sure I could if I invested the time to research it, but I digress. The same can't be said for Augustas, Carpes, M.A+, IS, etc. Yes, they're all "similar" in that they all serve the same general aesthetic, but they're different enough that people are willing to pay accordingly. They're not close enough to be considered substitutes.

2 people like this.
  11. Jbravo

Jbravo Senior member

Are you sure you're talking about Augustas? And not about Hermes, Louis Vuitton, etc and their clientele? Or you equate one with the other(s)? In this case you completely miss philosophy behind the artisan brands.

12. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

Despite what you think and those that say otherwise, the artisanal goods we discuss here are still luxury goods economically speaking.

1 person likes this.
  13. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

Yet you kept arguing and legitimizing the 2k price point for several pages.

The end question is why is a1923 worth more than ma+/IS/CCP. what makes them more special?

14. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

we just fucking said it like four times. it's because people are buying it. that's what determines worth.

3 people like this.
  15. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

They are luxury goods in the broad perspective but the problem is that you are comparing an established fashion house like LV or Hermes or etc to a1923 who has been around since 1923, no i think 2007.

If we compare LV to a1923 on a luxury good level then LV can charge whatever they want because they have proven quality and consistency. A1923 has done the quality part and only recently started making things semi consistent. Consistent for the sake of this argument is having certain items that define the fashion house and are released most seasons.

1 person likes this.
  16. hoodyear

hoodyear Senior member

How is this debate still going on?

[​IMG]

The End.

9 people like this.
  17. fistinyoface

fistinyoface Senior member

18. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

its sf we dont beat topics into the ground do we?

19. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

for you, sinnedk:

[​IMG]

are you autistic by any chance?

1 person likes this.
  20. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

I have a pair of CCP that are really stiff, yeah less comfy. Pics of Lemaire boots?