• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes, sandals) thread (Guidi, CCP, Augusta, M.

DividedWay

Reaction score
Has anyone handled the canvas over leather Layer-0's at Sartorialoft? They look pretty good to me, but I feel like pictures never catch canvas quite right...

uzairh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bright blue shell? :lol:

That's not quite how it works... Layer-0 provides color and material choices and you pick the combo.

Has anyone handled the canvas over leather Layer-0's at Sartorialoft? They look pretty good to me, but I feel like pictures never catch canvas quite right...

I have. What do you want to know?

uzairh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
/\ The canvas is very discrete; from far you cannot tell it is cloth. It is a lovely shade of gray and slightly shorter than the full length boots. It has a slimmer profile than the ones from the current season. Fantastic construction and finish, like all Layer-0.

I would get a pair myself....

Last edited:

DividedWay

Reaction score
I'm debating between the Canvas ones:

Cordo ones:

And MA+ Oxford boots:

I suppose my worries also come down to the fact that my feet run hot- in the Layer-0 backzips I had, my feet sweated like pigs (truly, it was gross). I'm worried this is just because of the thick leather + liner L0 uses, and that maybe it indicates I should stay away from L0 altogether. On the other hand, MA+ are significantly more expensive. Woe is me and my baller footwear conundrum...

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
You should stay away from Shell cordovan; it is extremely non-porous leather, not meant for hot feet and hot weather (YMMV of course). Stick to calf and suede/reverse, and see if you can get something that is unlined.

DividedWay

Reaction score
Thanks for this point- had not thought of that!

Last edited:

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
I don't think so. The reason shell is so non-porous is because it's a muscle membrane rather than actual skin. Skin has nice little sweat gland and other properties that help it breathe, whereas the shell membrane is much less prone to breathing well. That isn't to say that it's hard to wear, but it would be difficult if you have hot feet/sweat a lot in 'regular' leather.

DividedWay

Reaction score
Wear shell boots! Suffer the consequences! Look Awesome!
Problems arise when I sweat so much the salt gets in to the soles. This happened to a pair of boots a couple years ago, and they started getting seriously gross-nasty.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads