1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes, sandals) thread (Guidi, CCP, Augusta, M.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by eckblk, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Funny. All of that pent up aggression from one little sentence of truth. It doesn't matter what one knows or doesn't know about the boots, or how much artisinal semen was pumped into them. Those boots look like the ultimate minimalistic design of Jimmy Dean.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  2. the shah

the shah Senior member

Lol @ moo talking abt overreaction due to one little sentence of truth

It's not just that one comment, it's countless rapid-fire posts of uninformative drivel and pictures quoted from 3 posts above filling page after page of oh-not-so-precious server space so that the ignore function isn't useful any longer as it's equally burdersome to scroll past a million times.

Anyway I don't dislike him and highly doubt he's trying to present himself as any sort of authoritative figure here (he'd have to be insane if he thought what he regurgitates is genuine knowledge) but rather is trying to be helpful. Only problem is he's a bit slow (and sucks a teh maths) and may or may not be moo's sockpuppet given their predictably sequential posts...

Back to lurking in thread for the shah :D

1 person likes this.
  3. jet

jet Senior member

sinned and moo need a permaban spanking

2 people like this.
  4. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Right... because we're the ones following you and shah around from thread to thread posting barbs and personal jabs to everything you guys post, right?

I mean, it really is incredible... perfect example... sinned posts an opinion, some guy randomly goes off on him, and then shah comes in out of nowhere and calls sinned slow, a sock puppet, etc... but prefaces all of that with "I don't dislike the guy" - give me a break. When is the last time sinned randomly attacked you for anything, shah?

5. smashwindow

smashwindow Senior member

moo has been more affable lately.

6. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

jet you are an idiot!

seriously you sw&d guys turn this forum and especially this thread into a little bitch-fest, its like a reality show of guys bitching about boots.

sit back and relax because all of your panties are in a bunch and as always you all are trying to talk shit to me about what again?

7. Abraxis

Abraxis Senior member

I dunno about this time, but the last time I went off on him was because he claimed that unrevealed sources have confirmed to him that CCP and Augusta are made in house.

That's not an opinion. That's disinformation. If he had presented it as "Some folks had told me this, but I don't know if its true or not" then it's more clearly simply a theory rather than confirmed truth. Thankfully Fuuma came in and cleared up the misconception.

Why him doing this bothers me so much is because this is how baseless hype gets started. Some idiot newbs show up to the thread and read what he writes that shit spreads and it's impossible to completely unring that bell no matter how many Fuumas show up. Just like with any other baseless rumor.

That's probably why folks look at him as a cancer to this thread. If he relayed unsubstantiated information in a less authoritative tone I think people would chill out.

8. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

I'm fairly certain that "this shoe is ugly" is an opinion. I am not talking about past posts, and my post above was only referring to the post that sinned made about the shoes being ugly, and then having someone tell him that he's wrong because the shoe was created by the lord and savior himself. What does the construction - whatever it may be like, and how good or bad it may be - have to do with saying "this is an ugly shoe"? You don't need to be informed about anything to be able to say that you don't like how it looks, and this was what sinned was ultimately jumped for by whatever that guy's name is and shah.

9. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

i know handmade in your eyes has to be carol hammering in the nails himself, however, handmade can be any artisan used by the designer.

that said i want to point to you that i am never an ass to others the way they are to me and all i said was a shoe was ugly and it is and some dude over reacted emotionally and people jumped on my.

gtfo if you cant handle your expensive shoe not being liked

10. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

handmade != made in-house

11. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Don't speak in absolutes if you have no idea about what you're saying.

12. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

I will absolutely say that handmade does not mean made in house.

words have definitions you know. We're not just randomly piecing syllables together without meaning.

2 people like this.
  13. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Don't be a smartass.

Let's be clear. Handmade does not ALWAYS mean made in-house. It sometimes means not made in house. It can sometimes mean made in-house. Kiton makes all of their shoes in-house. They are handmade. St. Crispin also does this. I cannot speak to SWD brands doing this.

14. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Seriously, you want to have an argument about this?

Here are the quotes:

15. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

exactly and its for some reason that those specifics that people get into arguments about sigh

16. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

By specifics do you mean the fact that words have different meanings?

I've already explained in this thread, with diagrams, the different definitions "handmade" can have in regards to footwear.

"Made in house" clearly has such a different meaning that I don't see how you could ever use one as a substitute for the other.

17. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

sorry what did you misunderstand, example i am a shoe designer i outsource someone to make shoes by hand for me (small artisan in italy maybe)

why are people so nit picky here?

18. Abraxis

Abraxis Senior member

I just said they weren't made in house nothing about hand made or not. The two terms are orthogonal. Things can be hand made in house or partially hand made or machine made.

Outsourced to a factory (Whether that factory hand makes or not) != made in house. That's my understanding of how m.a.+/ccp/augusta/carpe/etc. boots are made. I could be wrong, but numerous sources (Which I can provide if anyone cares) and folks who have had first hand accounts with the designers or other industry figures have confirmed this as well.

Basically a few Italian factories make all these boots and other brands as well. Doesn't mean they all are made by the same machine or of the same quality. Clearly there are different gradings of craftsmanship and also different QC standards, but while Simone/others may do some of the treatment and elements of the production in house.... downplaying the external factory involvement is misleading.

I did say that I think what I believe sinnedk wants to believe that the shoes he thinks are top most tier (CCP/Augusta/m.a.+/Carpe) are all made in house and hand made by the designer themselves in a one man operations with the most rigorous and technically challenging techniques and known to made out of insane materials.

Like docus, I think he, as many others on gear forums, has a pathological need to build some sort of quality hierarchy or mythos where what they are into stands at the top of the pyramid and validates their taste. They fetishize this shit.

So when some retailer, as his unnamed source turned out to be, tells him "Yes it is as you believe Augusta and CCP are made in house!" he seizes on that and parrots it to others because that's what he wants to hear.

It just didn't come across that he was cognizant of the fact that a retailer is not the most reliable source since fundamentally they want to sell you things and may feed into what they think you want to hear to accomplish just that.

Potentially he was aware of that internally, but shrug people react to how you come across and not what you meant in your head. Hence why people are all sandy all the time towards him.

Final wall of text from me on this :)

1 person likes this.
  19. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Shoes can be made in house, by machines.
    Shoes can be made in house, by hand.
    Shoes can be outsourced, made by machines.
    Shoes can be outsourced, yet made by hand.

What is the problem?

1 person likes this.
  20. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

hendrix, I am only responding to brad-t's comment that "In house does not mean made by hand." That is it. And, of course, that is an absolute statement, and it's wrong.