• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes, sandals) thread (Guidi, CCP, Augusta, M.

candrew

Reaction score
Nice. I dont see why there is hate for the tuck. If you are 6' or taller, tucking seems fine.
I don't get the hate for the boots and I think tucking is fine. I'm only 5'8'' and I still tuck regardless. I just don't wear very tall boots. I think it just becomes a preference, but if someone is willing to explain to me why they think tucking it is bad, then by all means, convince me. I'm open to understanding the viewpoint.

I very much understand the idea that a sidezip on laced boots are redundant, but lacing these every single time would be such a pain **********. They're already a bit of a pain to take off and put on so I couldn't imagine it without the zip. The six eye Augustas I could understand lacing, but not something like these Buttero.

I don't mind the elongated toebox, it's just a different look to me. The way Guidi fit me, it would be just as elongated. In order to not have it be elongated, you'd have to have really really skinny feet, which poses other issues on it's own.

Urthwhyte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In order to not have it be elongated, you'd have to have really really skinny feet, which poses other issues on it's own.
babyfeet make Guidi look great.

I go back and forth on tucking, depends a lot on the pants I'm wearing and how much I want them to stack up the calf. In certain cases it has definitely made me look like a midget

tellure

Reaction score
I'd like to learn more about this narrow Guidi fit. Anyone know of some fit pics that illustrate the fit on the Guidi back-zip / side-zip models particularly well?

Eventually I'll make it out to H. Lorenzo and try on a pair.. just wondering what these look like in the wild.

Abraxis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah thanks.
Did not know there was that much of a price different in these price ranges as well. Was expecting all to be within the 1k+ $$$
So Carpe and Augusta are probably $1.5-2k?
Will definitely research more before kopping

Uh your thinking reflects some sort of weird consistent hierarchical pricing structure. Definitely do more research before you buy especially if you are buying this stuff on a cleared credit card. Carpe's can be had for 650-1k used depending on condition. Sometimes new too. Both Chomeo and Eckblk had a pair of handsome black sidezips for 900 new in the past. Paying over 1k usually is for something unusually sought after (Horween Cordovan boots in really pristine condition can go for a premium though I've seen them go for sub 1k as well) or new in box by way of Japan. It's mostly the cult reputation, amazing quality and the simple fact that they are out of production that make them somewhat hard to find at times. Don't glorify the hype too much and expect to pay hyped prices... I don't think that's to anyone's benefit except sellers ;p

Augustas can be had for 600 - 2k again depending on used/old and condition leather. Guidi can be had for 500 new at times. That's the big diference.

CCP/m.a.+ (Except for really old seasons) seem to hold their value the best. Finding ccp for under 1k from a more current season used is pretty lucky (Unless you are nicelynice and have access to Japanese consignment shops).

Also I have like 5 or 6 pairs of guidi now and I still love them and have sold none though that's mostly because I hate selling things because my combats definitely fit a little too tight and I'm unwilling to stretch them. Yes if you like the chunkier, heavier and more solid seeming nature of Augusta/CCP then maybe guidi isn't for you. Despite being both goth ninja they do look pretty different. What I love about guidi is the slouchy, soft profile and when that's coupled with the softer and stronger leathers they do (Kangaroo, Donkey, Soft Horse, etc.) I feel like it's all inline with a certain aesthetic I like.

Couple that with some of the more slouchier-friendly classic guidi shapes like the derbies with unhardened toe, 988s or even perhaps the 995s and I think it all works excellent, but again depends on your tastes.

That being said although I love carpe and it's definitely very, very nice as far as construction and perfect shape I wish the leather was thicker and more on par with my Augusta/CCP offerings. There may be versions out there that are less thin seeming, none that I own or have handled, but to my mind it's not like Carpe's are perfect in every way shape or form. eckblk has handled far more obviously and maybe I am just getting some super mediocre thin ones. So again with everything I say, grains of salt. Shrug. I'll continue to test, first with the superfuture derbies which I snagged.

Last edited:

Edgein

Reaction score
I'd tend to agree with Abraxis(great album). My issue is that if you have bigger feet, it is very difficult to source these type of boots/shoes. They are out there, but I have yet to see say 45 in Augusta on the used market. Once in a blue moon you may find them in the used market, or a weird design in stores that hasn't sold at retail. So, that leaves full on retail or Europe for sourcing. No way you would find that size in Japan. That brings the individual sizing issues that some have mentioned. I paid up for the shoes because I perceived the value of trying on and purchasing them was worth it for me. If anyone sees bigger sizes, please PM me. Thanks.

Edgein

Reaction score
Barney's will have selected A1923's 30% off. Front zip and very tall back zip. No lace ups or dbl side...

Last edited:

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score

Love my Buttero:

Sorry, they're only like $400 or so, not $700+ as this thread is primarily about.

They are if you buy them from Japan.* :teach:

*I'm not sure if that exact model is sold in Japan, but I think I've seen similar models in the $700 range.
^See if I were in the market for Guidi lace ups, I'd strongly consider getting ^those instead. Not only due to the side zipper for day in/out but because they're half the price too. Guidi's leather is definitely *nicer, but the lace up/side zip Buttero is pretty much impossible to beat at that price point IMO.
The W+H service boots are the only other boot around that price that I loved as well, but they're a different aesthetic that the Butteros.
*I'd actually consider picking up a pair of those Butteros from Barneys if they still had a 41 in stock. Is Buttero sizing still ABSURD? I had a pair of size 40 Butteros at one point that had a 30cm outsole and were definitely best for a true 41.5-42.

Sizing is kinda weird. I managed to (just barely) fit my US 12 feet into a size 43 pair. They're a little snug in the toebox on my right (larger) foot, and the instep is pretty low. They seem to loosen up a little with wear, though.

Do all Guidi side and back-zips have the same toebox profile? I like the sound of unstructured boots with soft, slouchy leather that develops character over time, but the toebox on these looks almost too round and blunted:

sept-2010-39.jpg

curiouscharles

Reaction score

They are if you buy them from Japan.* :teach:
*I'm not sure if that exact model is sold in Japan, but I think I've seen similar models in the $700 range.
Sizing is kinda weird. I managed to (just barely) fit my US 12 feet into a size 43 pair. They're a little snug in the toebox on my right (larger) foot, and the instep is pretty low. They seem to loosen up a little with wear, though.
Do all Guidi side and back-zips have the same toebox profile? I like the sound of unstructured boots with soft, slouchy leather that develops character over time, but the toebox on these looks almost too round and blunted:
sept-2010-39.jpg

Not all Guidis are created equal.

That is to say, not all of them have the same toebox/profile at all. I can't be 100% certain, but I think it mostly depends on strength / stiffness of the leather used. My favorite pair of backzips was the OG baby-calf leather version as the toebox featured more structure than any version I've seen since - avoiding the "leather sock" look many Guidis devolve into these days.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Uh your thinking reflects some sort of weird consistent hierarchical pricing structure. Definitely do more research before you buy especially if you are buying this stuff on a cleared credit card. Carpe's can be had for 650-1k used depending on condition. Sometimes new too. Both Chomeo and Eckblk had a pair of handsome black sidezips for 900 new in the past. Paying over 1k usually is for something unusually sought after (Horween Cordovan boots in really pristine condition can go for a premium though I've seen them go for sub 1k as well) or new in box by way of Japan. It's mostly the cult reputation, amazing quality and the simple fact that they are out of production that make them somewhat hard to find at times. Don't glorify the hype too much and expect to pay hyped prices... I don't think that's to anyone's benefit except sellers ;p
Augustas can be had for 600 - 2k again depending on used/old and condition leather. Guidi can be had for 500 new at times. That's the big diference.
CCP/m.a.+ (Except for really old seasons) seem to hold their value the best. Finding ccp for under 1k from a more current season used is pretty lucky (Unless you are nicelynice and have access to Japanese consignment shops).
Also I have like 5 or 6 pairs of guidi now and I still love them and have sold none though that's mostly because I hate selling things because my combats definitely fit a little too tight and I'm unwilling to stretch them. Yes if you like the chunkier, heavier and more solid seeming nature of Augusta/CCP then maybe guidi isn't for you. Despite being both goth ninja they do look pretty different. What I love about guidi is the slouchy, soft profile and when that's coupled with the softer and stronger leathers they do (Kangaroo, Donkey, Soft Horse, etc.) I feel like it's all inline with a certain aesthetic I like.
Couple that with some of the more slouchier-friendly classic guidi shapes like the derbies with unhardened toe, 988s or even perhaps the 995s and I think it all works excellent, but again depends on your tastes.
That being said although I love carpe and it's definitely very, very nice as far as construction and perfect shape I wish the leather was thicker and more on par with my Augusta/CCP offerings. There may be versions out there that are less thin seeming, none that I own or have handled, but to my mind it's not like Carpe's are perfect in every way shape or form. eckblk has handled far more obviously and maybe I am just getting some super mediocre thin ones. So again with everything I say, grains of salt. Shrug. I'll continue to test, first with the superfuture derbies which I snagged.

ma+ doesnt hold value that is a huge misconception
backzip new = 2200, drops to around 1100 new (check w/re porter and a few other places)

curiouscharles

Reaction score

ma+ doesnt hold value that is a huge misconception
backzip new = 2200, drops to around 1100 new (check w/re porter and a few other places)

Unfortunately this is very true - m.a+ doesn't hold its re-sale value as it once did.

For that matter, neither does CCP anymore - it used to be R.A.R.E. to find derbies under $1,000.00 USD / CAD, but it has now become R.A.R.E. to have them SELL for over $1,000.00 USD / CAD.

Guidi prices have also plummeted, but that's quite obviously because the market has been flooded with them - they used to be a rarity but they're stocked at so many boutiques these days that there's no need to pay high prices anymore.

eckblk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Barney's will have selected A1923's 30% off.  Front zip and very tall back zip.  No lace ups or dbl side...

I'd buy the front zip @ 50% off :)

Last edited:

Edgein

Reaction score
Contact the Madison Ave store, or better yet, get to know a SA and get a employee discount! You might get 50%.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads