The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes, sandals) thread (Guidi, CCP, Augusta, M.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by eckblk, Jun 10, 2011.

1. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Jesus christ i've created a monster.

The only brand above that might be hand made (i.e. handwelted and handmade heel) is A1923. Even that is not confirmed.

From what i've seen all of the others are "benchmade". This doesn't mean they're in some massive factory that a million people live in, just that the "making" part - sewing the welt to the insole - and the soling part - soling the outsole to the welt, is done by machine. It's still a difficult process and takes a lot of skill.

I never meant to make some sort of hierarchy when I made that comment.

Last edited: May 23, 2012

2. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

Correct.

3. candrew

candrew Senior member

Crap, now I'm all sorts of confused. I got measurements back from atelier today on a size 42 and the outsole is like 30cm which seems a bit short considering the buttero are like 31-31.5cm. Also the width on the A1923 are 10cm whereas the buttero are 10.5-11cm. Just seems like a 42 would be pretty tight, but then again, I've never had the chance to try them on.

4. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

hendrix, i appreciate the info on "benchmade", please dont focus on the list from top down, it was not hierarchy, it was the brands i was interested in, i never implied a hierarchy either, i wanted to clear things up and find out since i am highly interested in the mentioned footwear

buttero 43.5, outsole = 32cm
    a1923 44, outsole = 32cm

5. dmash

dmash Senior member

Stand by my original statement, 43. Always better to be a touch bigger than a touch smaller.

Baller boot sizing isn't cut and dry, as stated previously. You guys gotta realize outsole measurements mean NOTHING

I've had outsole measurements that differ by over an inch and guess what, they fit the exact same.

WAY too many factors to take into consideration....the way the designer wanted you to wear them, the length of the toe box (short or long), the width on certain models, the instep. I've said it over and over, you can give a best 'estimate' but there's absolutely no way to be more than about 75% sure on your sizing. and TBH that percentage is pushing it most of the time.

6. eckblk

eckblk Senior member

+1

7. aether

aether Senior member

anyone know who makes these? or were these some custom project?

[​IMG]

8. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

dmash i completely agree on the bolded statement.... but my outsole measurement for most of my boots has been pretty consistent at or around 32cm, nevertheless the sizing is truly all over the place and all of the above mentioned points have to be taken into consideration, eck just had to sell a CD in his size because the instep didnt work. i hate the crapshoot of sizing in "baller" boots

9. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

So I am ready to pickup some baller sneakers (Just paid off this months CC :lol:)

I feel like SuspensionPT is a good place to start.

I have a pair of side-zips from F+B that I am keeping as beaters FWIW (leather on the 'Elf' model is buttery soft).

So if I am only concerned about timeliness, cost and selection, which are the only stores I should be looking at? I think if I pickup the white and black Guidi from SuspensionPT, I'd be good.
    That and Re-Porter is also nice. Graham is indeed helpful.

10. dmash

dmash Senior member

sneakers or boots?

11. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Boots.

All my footwear BTW are with zips now or zip+laces aside from my MC footwear, which will be updated accordingly as well.

12. dmash

dmash Senior member

Make sure you like the Guidi aesthetic. I no longer like it not only due to the ill fitment, but for the fact I like my boots to look 'chunkier'. Guidi has a sneaker like sleekness to it.

(not just to you Toast) but you guys need to make sure you actually LIKE Guidi and aren't just buying it because it's considered a 'baller' sneaker at a much more affordable price than pretty much everything else. Otherwise you're going to have a pair of boots that are cool on SF but don't really even look that great as a whole unless you have the aesthetic to go with it. Something timeless like a Carpe 5 hole can flow w pretty much everything.

Toast, if I were in your shoes I'd grab something like an Augusta on discount for a little over $1k. IDK about you but I'd never get enough wear out of white boots to justify slinging around that kind of dough for them.

13. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Well I am definitely open to suggestions. I see Guidi talked on here a lot, and as mentioned, prefer zippers to laces. I believe the Guidi that jet picked up are cool too and seem to lace up fast whether it is the supple leather or excellent lacing system...

Also Guidi is sleek? I thought it was on the voluminous side rather than sleek. I agree that volume looks better though i.e. my CP wedge sole officer boots. Love those.
    What would be considered even more volume? And are you looking at the toe profile, sole used, or overall?

14. lmaozedong

lmaozedong Senior member

Exactly. Guidis are really nice, and the leather they use is superb, but I ended up selling mine because they required a very specific aesthetic because of their sleekness and the flat toe box, and I could only wear them every so often.

15. dmash

dmash Senior member

Just overall. They're narrow and the toe box is low. Also when I wore Guidi they felt flimsy and 'soft in comparison to some badass stuff from Augusta and Carpe. No comparison in my opinion. I'm of the mindset that my boots need to be sort of chunky and 'rough' nowadays though so I'm biased.

You see Guidi talked about the most because of the price. Flat out.

What about scouting on YahooJP and getting something like Carpe back zips?

*BTW I'm in no way saying Guidi is a bad deal. Their leathers are great, just saying to make sure YOU like it.