The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes, sandals) thread (Guidi, CCP, Augusta, M.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by eckblk, Jun 10, 2011.

1. shady_2001

shady_2001 Senior member

[​IMG]

2. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Yeah I've seen some pics now.

Amazing stuff. Kinda my style too. hmmmmmmm.

3. eckblk

eckblk Senior member

reminds me of these

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

5. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

43's right? :happy:

6. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

sinned's vaz are right up your alley, synth

7. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

I remember, I really wanted them last winter and just couldn't spare the (admittedly really good on antonioli) cost for another pair of boots. Which was stupid because I ended up with a pair of augustas that cost me 50% more. And double stupid because the boots I did end up trying were the Taralis Klaus joints that didn't fit my foot right, were more expensive, and by the time everything was done and returned there were no more Vaz Rajan to be had. Yay me. I still think the vaz boots are great, though. And I'm proud of myself for not spending 800$ on Damir goods from the corner that I probably wouldn't have loved.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  8. Magic1

Magic1 Senior member

not into the arte povera display at all. find it kind of offensive. romanticizing a lifestyle of destitution when you are selling/buying things in the thousands? it's almost akin to the hipster racism that people have been talking about.

9. eckblk

eckblk Senior member

Perugia

10. wurm

wurm Senior member

I'm pretty sure those people are not poor.

11. Magic1

Magic1 Senior member

12. wurm

wurm Senior member

To me it's just a street display. The car and the general layout of clothes don't really suggest they're pretending to be anything else. Just because it's outside doesn't mean it's trying to mimic poverty.

13. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

14. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

1) It is a promotional video, I very much doubt Guidi has the same person build the whole shoes like we see in the video (in fact I am 99,99% sure they don't because no one does that).
    2) What we see isn't amazing or anything, especially for the price. Buy Allen Edmonds and you'll get a construction that is as good. You have to understand that shoes aren't factory made like cars, you have a lot of manual operations done with machines even for relatively average shoes.
    3) I have a pair of Poell boots from 06 or whatever (don't remember) and I sometime wore them traveling a couple days in a row and didn't care for them that much. They look exactly the same as when I first got them. I guess those bling povera boots are made to last so I wouldn't be too anxious about Guidi falling appart or anything, let's just not pretend they are the pinnacle of bootmaking.
    4) You are right that leather treatments are where these brands strenght lie.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  15. shady_2001

shady_2001 Senior member

i think the display is meant to evoke an urban postmodern aesthetic rather than that of "poor art".

it is a rejection of boutique culture - by creating makeshift ateliers within what is commonly described as "temporary autonomous zones" where there is complete freedom of expression, he allows us a glimpse into his version of inner-city counterculture. it is a way of saying, yes, these shoes are classically styled and crafted with traditional techniques, but they are made to be worn in gritty urban environments rather than the polished sidewalks of the champs elysses, for example.

if i had the (rather extraordinary amount of) cash, i would buy his stuff at the drop of a hat.

oh by the way take a look at this:

http://www.layerslondon.com/clothing/menswear/footwear/boots/shell_cordovan_hole_work_boots.html

dat price, extreme ballers only :slayer:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012