The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes, sandals) thread (Guidi, CCP, Augusta, M.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by eckblk, Jun 10, 2011.

1. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

yea its outsole, i dont remember what others are but google translate worked well for me

2. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

Thanks, I don't think anyone mentioned before that F+Bs were of sub-par quality. :plain:

My question was what's a reasonable substitute? No square-ish, bulbous, or upturned toes, no washing or pre-distressing of the leather, just a side-zip with a wrinkled vamp (and preferably an interesting zipper pull).

3. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

4. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

for price point of around $500 i think a good purchase is the buttero at barneys either model is good just size down .5 http://www.barneys.com/Shoes/mens-s...?prefn1=designer&prefv1=Buttero&start=0&sz=20
    more buttero in japan:
    http://buttero-online.com/products/...20&PHPSESSID=be55a63f3ad31d2a39af0f7ed9224d99
    but they are overpriced there, some models are worth it
    marsell at yoox:
    http://www.yoox.com/item/YOOX/MARSÈLL/dept/men/tskay/3FD17CD7/rr/1/cod10/44403405DK/sts/sr_men80
    http://www.yoox.com/item/YOOX/MARSÈLL/dept/men/tskay/3FD17CD7/rr/1/cod10/44403404JH/sts/sr_men80
    *ask mr. moo for sizing he owns a pair.
    avoid shoto, and john varvatos, both decent shoes but depreciate quickly. Guidi is great but very very tight toe box, their sizing is messy, you have to size up 2 in guidi.
    i hear good things about cp combat boots but from what i hear buttero is better.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012

5. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Yeah the durability thing is not the point - it's more of a bonus. In the end you buy nicer things because they're, well, nicer.

That said, the Guidis are not actually hand made. F+B probably have the same construction method. Although the guidis probably have nicer leather.

6. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually already have the Butteros from Barney's (sized down 2, which is pretty snug), and I've established that Marsell boots look kind of terrible on size 12 feet (at least the pair I tried on). Maybe I'll save up and keep an eye out for Guidis in a 47...unless the side-zip model has the almost-squared-off toebox that I don't really care for.

I'm not tied to the idea of only spending $500; I just want to find a boot that has the shape and features of the F+B Elf that I like in a brand that's not so thoroughly maligned.

7. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

Most Marsell boots don't look great IMO, but mine are awesome and the quality is great.

8. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

On sale if they look good they are a bargain.

9. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

Honestly, relative to other Japanese brands, the pricing on Buttero seems about right.

10. Urthwhyte

Urthwhyte Senior member

I don't know where the complaints about F+B leather are coming from. True, it's not Guidi or Augusta or earlier Ann quality of leather , but they're also a 1/3rd the price. I tried on a different pair (I think the 745s) and if they made them in babyfeet sizes I would have bought them. gettoasty is right - most of us have enough pairs of shoes that wearing something through is going to be a rare occurrence.

11. dmash

dmash Senior member

Almost everyone in this thread is used to the best when it comes to boots though and F+B just doesn't make the cut against the big boys.

12. Urthwhyte

Urthwhyte Senior member

I guess I'm just not hugely into the quality so much as the aesthetic aspect then. For me once you get to a certain level of construction everything past that is overbuilt/icing. I really like my Ann sidezips and InAisce lows - I still wear my Clark Malis pretty regularly and wouldn't hesitate to buy another pair.

13. thatoneguy

thatoneguy Senior member

I guarantee you this leather would hang with the big girls.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. dmash

dmash Senior member

^that actually looks really legit.

15. thatoneguy

thatoneguy Senior member

those are the "slimjim - sten" from fw10. basically the elf but with a sleeker sole. From what I have gathered they use different leather for fw and ss, the boots above are my brothers pair. I bought a pair in ss11 and the leather was totally different, still nice, but it was not as thick