• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes, sandals) thread (Guidi, CCP, Augusta, M.

Callusing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody able to give sizing advice on Guidi mountain / hiking boots relative to other Guidis?

I've got 795vs that fit me snug-but-well in a 41, hoping I can take the same size in hikers.

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! What's his address? Need to send some boots his way

eckblk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2363 Pruneridge Ave
Ste D
Santa Clara, CA 95050

Blackmaged

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody able to give sizing advice on Guidi mountain / hiking boots relative to other Guidis?

I've got 795vs that fit me snug-but-well in a 41, hoping I can take the same size in hikers.

Interested in this as well - not many data points out there and it seems to be a mixed bag between down 1 from normal Guidi (i.e. TTS) and normal Guidi size.....

KaramF

Reaction score
Hi guys, new member here. Really enjoyed reading through this forum, and found it to answer all my questions without having to ask them.
However I can’t get my head around this, is “horse shell cordovan” basically just “cordovan”? I recently bought these mmoriabc A_tre and the retailer said it’s cordovan, with a special finish by Altieri himself.

Attachments

• 9606FEC2-1A26-42F9-8EF8-D1BA283B071F.jpeg
    9606FEC2-1A26-42F9-8EF8-D1BA283B071F.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 162
  • 4D43752C-E0F8-4F97-9B13-B060397F88F0.jpeg
    4D43752C-E0F8-4F97-9B13-B060397F88F0.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 209
  • 3D90DD34-6297-4E0C-B3CB-92C933925618.jpeg
    3D90DD34-6297-4E0C-B3CB-92C933925618.jpeg
    128.8 KB · Views: 201

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi guys, new member here. Really enjoyed reading through this forum, and found it to answer all my questions without having to ask them.
However I can’t get my head around this, is “horse shell cordovan” basically just “cordovan”? I recently bought these mmoriabc A_tre and the retailer said it’s cordovan, with a special finish by Altieri himself.

oh gosh the old cordovan question.

So European retailers refer to "horse" as cordovan a lot of the times. But, most shoe places stock shoes made of shell cordovan(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_cordovan) which is a "leather made from the fibrous flat connective tissue (or shell) beneath the hide on the rump of the horse." M-Moira uses actual shell cordovan for all of their boots IIRC. Thus, rest assured you have shell cordovan.

IME, I had retailers tell me CCP is cordovan but cup does not use shell cordovan they use horse. Now that horse may have had a part from the horse's rump but one cannot confirm that.

If a shoe maker is claiming he used shell cordovan it should be shell for the entire shoe/boot although in some cases I've seen a mix of shell for the bottom and the upper being grain leather for a boot. Most often its not the case.

hope that helps.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I might also add that you'll sometimes run into places that use "cordovan" to refer to a color, mainly the #8 burgundy that Horween is famous for. Probably less likely to come up with the shoes in this thread, though.

KaramF

Reaction score

So European retailers refer to "horse" as cordovan a lot of the times. But, most shoe places stock shoes made of shell cordovan(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_cordovan) which is a "leather made from the fibrous flat connective tissue (or shell) beneath the hide on the rump of the horse." M-Moira uses actual shell cordovan for all of their boots IIRC. Thus, rest assured you have shell cordovan.

IME, I had retailers tell me CCP is cordovan but cup does not use shell cordovan they use horse. Now that horse may have had a part from the horse's rump but one cannot confirm that.

If a shoe maker is claiming he used shell cordovan it should be shell for the entire shoe/boot although in some cases I've seen a mix of shell for the bottom and the upper being grain leather for a boot. Most often its not the case.

hope that helps.
I myself seen it being answered many times but i never paid attention to it because all my boots are kangaroo,horse, bison...,
I too was sure that it’s shell until recently I saw a few pairs made with destroyed horse leather which made me question it.
I just got in touch with the store I bought them from and was assured they’re shell, again with a “special finish”.

Thank you for your response, and great contribution to this thread.

SAMSAMUNICH

Reaction score

Old cordovan question, but apparently a very useful one, since posters here still receive entirely wrong answers and "expertise".

C.C.P. uses the following horse leather qualities:

CORS-PTC = horse front leather

LUC-PTC / SBUC-PTC / CUL-PTC / CUBS-PTC = (horse) cordovan leather

No rabbitinthehattrick: cordovan is declared for the latter qualities = cordovan is used for those leather qualities. Please...

Last edited:

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Old cordovan question, but apparently a very useful one, since posters here still receive entirely wrong answers and "expertise".

C.C.P. uses the following horse leather qualities:

CORS-PTC = horse front leather

LUC-PTC / SBUC-PTC / CUL-PTC / CUBS-PTC = (horse) cordovan leather

No rabbitinthehattrick: cordovan is declared for the latter qualities = cordovan is used for those leather qualities. Please...

Hi Samsa...

The responses were not wrong. It’s a lost in translation type of thing.

Horse Cordovan in Europe is normally thick horse which I have no doubt includes or has some of the horses rump in that leather. However, it is absolutely not shell Cordovan like horween’s shell Cordovan which is actually what MMoira uses and in reference to this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_cordovan.

Feel free and pass that post on to CCP and ask them about the horse they get from Poland I believe.

I am not trying to “disprove” you, ccp and lots of European places do say horse Cordovan. I’ve seen Layer-0 do the same. But they all charge a **** ton more once they use “shell Cordovan”.

KaramF

Reaction score
Also M_moria are using Horween cordovan as well now along with destroyed horse leather, and not only shell.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also M_moria are using Horween cordovan as well now along with destroyed horse leather, and not only shell.

That’s new, it used to be all she’ll cordovan but I don’t follow that designer too closely so I’ll take your word for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads