1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes, sandals) thread (Guidi, CCP, Augusta, M.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by eckblk, Jun 10, 2011.

1. sinnedk

sinnedk Stylish Dinosaur

sigh #artisinal

2. Zamb

Zamb Distinguished Member Affiliate Vendor

but this is a different and more difficult repair than the sole

Matter of fact, this cannot be sensibly repaired and while difficult the best bet might have been to replace the boot altogether.

the construction of the boot with those seams and stiff leather is problematic. that open seam that is stitched on both sides needs to be reinforced in the underside before the stitches are done. if that doesn't happen the boot (or whatever garment / object its used on) is basically "hanging by the thread" that is used to initially join both peices of leather together. its not a very strong seam if its not reinforced on the underside.
    we use it in the back of a lot of our jackets, but it is reinforced on the underside with a tape that takes away the stress from the thread

3. newp

newp Senior Member

I have a
    I am considerable clueless regarding boot construction so I have no word in this indeed.
    If it cannot be repaired then indeed it's better just to replace it.

4. GarleyCavidson

GarleyCavidson Well-Known Member

I agree with the assessment that repairing this seam is a significantly different matter than repairing the sole.

The seams on this boot will face significant stress as the boots are worn. But as these seams are constructed, they are not strong enough for a lifetime of wear if, as you highlighted, they do not also have a material backing it where the parallel stitching attaches. The seams on my boots lasted for less than a year before they began to tear on both boots.

To repair the boots correctly would require removing the outsole and re-stitching the seams on the upper (hopefully adding said backing in order to increase durability). It would mean rebuilding the boots.

5. Zamb

Zamb Distinguished Member Affiliate Vendor

I have a customer who is a member here who bought a pants from me, the dry cleaners screwed up the pants and i asked him to send it in for repair. When the pants arrived, i realized there was no sensible way to repair it while maintaining the integrity of the pants. it was then I opted to make him a new pair. He had to wait a while, but in the end he got a new replacement pair was very happy with it rather than sending him a pants that would has issues again after a few wear

that seam should be constructed like this:

20181212_161652_HDR.jpg

20181212_161703_HDR(1).jpg

20181212_161743_HDR.jpg

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Having a horizontal felled seam at the heel of the boot makes zero sense. You want the stitching parallel to the direction of stress. The only time you should have a seam parallel is when there is a additonal reinforcement piece attached. Sometimes, probably because of the experimental nature of the designs, and at least partially because sometimes the designers are self-taught. there are some questionable design choices.

7. skeen7908

skeen7908 Distinguished Member

Wow that's really bad

Altieri has always given off that huckster vibe with his travelling roadshows

Unbelievable that he thought that was a satisfactory repair
    Although the boots possibly never touched his hands, just got sent to one of his contracted factories

What did the retailer you bought them from say about it ?

8. docdocgs

docdocgs Senior Member

Eck,
    I almost bought those! They look great, and I'd love to see pictures of them on real feet in "real" light. But since I just picked up Murakami's Reverse Cordovan Un-Norwegian boot from Atelier, and received Alessio's handmade boots recently from PN\P, I figured maybe it was time to stop for the year. Oh, and I also picked up Murakami's new novel.
    Loose associations just come naturally to me.

9. sinnedk

sinnedk Stylish Dinosaur

What is Murakami's Reverse Cordovan Un-Norwegian boot? Got a link @docdocgs

10. Patrickmoore704

Patrickmoore704 New Member

Do you still have these for sale???

11. eckblk

eckblk Distinguished Member

@docdocgs

need images of the handmade L0 boot!

12. GarleyCavidson

GarleyCavidson Well-Known Member

I got in touch with Maurizio and mentioned being dissatisfied with the repair and he has offered to replace the boots. Things run slow in the M_Moria world but things are run with care.

13. newp

newp Senior Member

Glad to hear this, please show us your new boots then!

14. sinnedk

sinnedk Stylish Dinosaur

15. sinnedk

sinnedk Stylish Dinosaur

Folks wondering if i can get some opinions here. I want a zip boot thats easy to wear with pretty much anything. I have been reaching a lot more than before for my cDiem horse s21m. I can't say i am super happy about the horse leather used for the cDiem revamp but the silhouette of the boot does work well.

Anyways i have 3 things i've been eying and wanted to hear if folks have some good opinions on what the best option is. Alternatively should i just skip all 3 cuz they will be redunant of what i already own?

My current zip boot rotation is:
    cDiem s21m
    CCP x3 regular last
    CCP wide last

1. a1923 kudu side zip
    [​IMG]

2. Cdiem calf side zip

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. layer-0 zip boot