The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes, sandals) thread (Guidi, CCP, Augusta, M.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by eckblk, Jun 10, 2011.

1. eckblk

eckblk Senior member

Here's a reminder buddy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chiggah

chiggah Senior member

damn eck

that one on rakuten fits me :X

better hold off for now..

looks pretty good condition for a C grade..

3. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

Seems like the best compromise is to wear something either a) cropped or b) with a narrow enough hem that it stacks above at least some of the wrinkling.
    What's a good protector to use on reverse leather? My reverse calf Julius back-zips definitely aren't waterproof at this point, but I'd love to make them so.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  4. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

I don't bother with protector.
    For that stuff to work you have to spray it on every wearing.

Don't worry about leather getting wet. It dries. It's better to leave shoes still able to breath IMO

5. acl1

acl1 Senior member

I've used Nikwax for a bunch of nubuck shoes and the results have been great. Hendrix is sorta right; you have to use multiple applications (like 4 or 5 light coats) but I've had no problems after that.

6. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

this stuff is great http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XYWLE6/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00 i usually do 2 coats, supposedly you have to coat every 3-6 months, i'd say 6

you are wrong (read above)

7. jet

jet Persian Bro

People who use shoe protector are the same ones who have clearbras on their cars and covers on their couches.

8. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

eck love how your tall boots turned out,

[​IMG]

and you posted one of my favorite boot models ever! i'd get these in reg leather since i already have reverse augusta; nevertheless these look amazing in reverse leather

9. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

what the heck are you talking about? suede protector is a must, suede and reverse leather absorb moisture thus if you are in rain your shoes/boots might get messed up by absorbing that much moisture...

10. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Nope not wrong. If you'd actually used it for long periods of time you'd know that for the leather to be fully waterproof that stuff needs to be sprayed on regularly; it comes off as you wear.

In the end there's no need to have waterproof shoes, otherwise we'd all walk around in gumboots when it's rainy.

Leather dries well as long as you give it a breathing period.

11. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

I disagree with you, but lets move back to shoes for the sake of this thread

12. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Where to find low heel side / back zips? Black smooth leather, no distressing. What models specifically not necessarily where to buy. I am still shopping around

Any suggestions sinnedk? You seem to understand the balance between something for work and play

13. dmash

dmash Senior member

Yeah the key for sure is to make sure it dries. Same concept with giving your shoes time to breathe and not wearing them for consecutive days.

14. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

FWIW the cobbler I go to says wooden shoe trees is a gimmick.

If you wear your shoe on the regular, no shoe tree will soak up all the moisture and in any quick rate. He suggest that I take a cloth and stick it into my leather shoes then wipe the inside down after each wear. He gave me some cheap plastic shoe trees that you can alter the length to fit into different sized shoes.

The plastic shoe tree does a better job in keeping creases out than particular wooden shoe trees, which I am more concerned about--creasing. That is why I rather pickup shoe trees in person after testing them in said shoe. Picking them up online with little experience on how they fit into the actual shoe is scary especially when some go up to several hundred dollars, just for shoe trees

15. dmash

dmash Senior member

I sort of think shoe trees are a gimmick as well (the moisture part) I just them for creases as well. I just cycle my shoes to help with the drying process. I don't think a certain tree 'absorbs' the sweat anymore than another (if any).