• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes, sandals) thread (Guidi, CCP, Augusta, M.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
she was; and k is wearing a luc sweater. it looks like most of the wardrobe was off-the-shelf 'designer' goods of today, with the lack of costume design imagination being probably the most disappointing part of the film.

That said, isn't it kinda clever to take the "post apocalyptic" inspired clothing of today's imagination and transplant it into a fictional dystopian future?

merz

Reaction score
That said, isn't it kinda clever to take the "post apocalyptic" inspired clothing of today's imagination and transplant it into a fictional dystopian future?

maybe. clever in a curatorial way synonymous with the present. sort of what mark fisher talks about in slow cancelation of the future. what is absent is the same thing that made the original memorable: a compelling vision of a future in its minute detail, including the clothing.

oulipien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

maybe. clever in a curatorial way synonymous with the present. sort of what mark fisher talks about in slow cancelation of the future. what is absent is the same thing that made the original memorable: a compelling vision of a future in its minute detail, including the clothing.

Huh. The focus on musical periodization struck me as odd in two ways—first, why should the rapid succession of relatively defined musical styles in one longish stretch of time, and the supposed smoothing-out of styles later, be metonymized in the first place? Why is that mode of cultural production so important, and isn't it possible that the supposed norm against which the current day is being measured and found wanting was itself exceptional? Second, when he asks about the "sound" of 2005 or 2008, well, to me, at least, there are identifiable sounds whose time has, as far as I can tell, pretty definitively passed; you don't hear much, these days, about the ecstatic, frenetic pop previously much hyped and peddled by (e.g.) Architecture in Helsinki, Head of Femur, Fiery Furnaces, and others I can't even remember.

merz

Reaction score
Huh. The focus on musical periodization struck me as odd in two ways—first, why should the rapid succession of relatively defined musical styles in one longish stretch of time, and the supposed smoothing-out of styles later, be metonymized in the first place? Why is that mode of cultural production so important, and isn't it possible that the supposed norm against which the current day is being measured and found wanting was itself exceptional?

fisher was a music journalist and hence the examples he uses are rooted in music and popular culture, but he is talking about the capacity for a radical break with the present, recognisable and readily-available, a problem highlighted by what was said about the film in relation to its progenitor. the thought applies to a lot of the work discussed here as well.

and yes, those were identifiable sounds but in each instance they're mining some recent past, with a narrowing span of time between initial and nostalgic currency. early-oughts post-punk revival was still a direct nostalgia kick (of what had never really gone away) even when it was a definitive, recognisable slab of something.

Last edited:

oulipien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I realize what his aim was and where he was coming from (and I don't think the mere characterization "music journalist" does him justice). But that specific line of thinking neither actually addresses, let alone supports, that point, nor does it make sense on its own terms. Musical periodization/specificity is a difficult case precisely because it makes differences seem starker—and hence more indicative of (the capacity for) radical breaks!—than they really were; the critical commonplaces about punk form a really egregious instance of this. If we have a sense of "what 1975 sounded like", it's because we've retrospectively fictionalized it by making it more uniform and exaggerating its differences from its successor and predecessor periods, and, again, I'm skeptical that we do have a sense of the distinctness of 1975 and 1972. Meanwhile, there actually are changes in what people listen to and what music people make, in niche (as a contributor to the Wire, surely he would have been aware of this) and in popular styles (some of which straight up would not have been possible in the past). Connecting the presence or absence of temporal specificity in cultural activity to the belief or lack thereof in radical breaks strikes me as basically cranky.

eckblk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DIMISSIANOS & MILLER

1-1.jpg
1-3.jpg
1-5.jpg
1-2.jpg

2-2.jpg

2-1.jpg

2-5.jpg

2-3.jpg

nyarkies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They've been around. They're the ones that help produce the LEB distortion boots.

docdocgs

Reaction score
Not a bad look at all. Do you have any, Eck? It would be great to see a live pair.

On another note, has anyone here picked up a pair of the Layer-0 black reverse cordovan boots that were made for Holger? I'm wondering what the impressions are about those. They look pretty good from here.
Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads