The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes, sandals) thread (Guidi, CCP, Augusta, M.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by eckblk, Jun 10, 2011.

1. hurhur

hurhur Senior member

i think it's just best to find the brands that suit every individual aesthetically. just wear our boots and look good. who cares about how labels are ripping off each other.

2. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

vibram the 988s and you will be happy

resoling a leather sole vs a vibram sole is a a bit more expensive i think,

another reason to vibram, is that a cobbler will have to take off the original leather sole of the boot and mess with original sole by guidi (unless you get guidi to resole). Its much easier to take off a vibram sole and stick on a new one.

Lets bring this back from where this conversation started which is WJK. The point was that WJK while good quality isnt doing anything out of the ordinary, CD was doing something different and experimental which led to MA+/Augusta being more creative. Altieri did lay the foundation. Guidi decided to make shoes because it was a natural step, although their boots lack structure, its a cool look but not creative in the least. Currently its CCP/MA+/Augusta that are actually doing something creative which is why brands like WJK are making waves in Japan but not the world. Oh and a special mention to Layer-0 that is coming up with a lot of cool designs.

PS: All i was trying to find out about WJK was the quality. People go hung up in me saying the obvious that they imitate CD.

3. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

I don't particularly care whether they're "revolutionary" or not, that shouldn't grant them some type of "moral patent" over other brands (who are copying them or not).
    Let's face it. They're selling high end boots whose selling point is their quality and design. It is therefore up to them to differentiate themselves, not up to everyone else to work around them. That is the best thing about fashion - you can't pull a drug company and do whatever you want because you have the patent. There is no copyright, and for a very good reason. This is why trends occur. It allows for refinement of ideas.

Moreover, if you go to Italy you will see that upturned toes are present in lots and lots of shoes and boots, and this likely existed before CDiem. So did distressed boots. Do you not think it possible that other brands joined these ideas? My shoemaker knows absolutely nothing about Cdiem or Guidi but he makes some pretty similar derbies, backzips and sidezips.

Whether CDiem did revolutionise this or not, it doesn't give them some special standing above everyone else. If other shoes are of equally good design (most are not, and that's the amazing thing about CDiem) then they also deserve credit. It's harder than you think to copy something.

4. eckblk

eckblk Senior member

What is everyone talking about here? CDiem boots and shoes or Altieri's entire body of work (Continues Collection: Carpe Diem, LMaltieri, Linea, Sartoria, etc....)?

As for WJK quality- I heard was very good at first and as quality dropped, Jun Hashimoto left and formed "Jun Hashimoto". There was supposedly an agreement with Altieri towards the end of CDiem that allow Jun to use specific Cdiem leathers and manufacture specific models- this is why you keep seeing S23 and S21.

Just to be clear there are Jun Hashimoto boots and WJK boots- 2 different lines. I believe nicelynice can chime in as I believe he handled both in detail.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012

5. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

well it started out with me questioning the quality of WJK boots and people got all worked up over me asking whether WJK is just impersonating CD. These were questions not critiques and then everyone started questioning and talking about shoe trends...

anyone got some pics to post?

6. eckblk

eckblk Senior member

From the group buy which was mentioned a few pages back. :slayer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012

7. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Eck, those boots are beautiful but I hate lace-ups that tall because they take about five minutes to get on my feet

Less talk more boots
    KK Attachment Guidi 1.8mm one piece

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looks like this with a half year of wear, dope

[​IMG]

Another season, different Guidi 1.8mm leather

three months
    [​IMG]

one year
    [​IMG]

8. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

no they dont man, takes a sec

9. eckblk

eckblk Senior member

NN- Attachment boots looks really good. How is sizing with most of the Japanese brands? I still want the devoa side zip from SS12.

More pics-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Jun Hashimoto, Devoa, Attachment all fit fairly true to size, I'm a 7 CCP, 8 Augusta, 43 Guidi, 41-42 Carpe, and I fit a 42 across all three.

btw, can anyone ID these augusta?

[​IMG]

11. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Almost Special

have you tried margiela boots? if so, what size are you there? 42 as well? this will help me greatly because there aren't any retailers of these brands where I live (or atleast that I am aware of) so I'd have to purchase online. I dont wan't to get burned so a reference point would be advantageous.

12. modalsaliency

modalsaliency Senior member

I sought these out determined to fall in love with them, and did until I actually tried walking in them.

They have a spring built into the sole. Which wasn't particularly obstructive in terms of actual movement, it was pretty fluid, but it came off unnatural and in any case would invariably be the first thing to break and need servicing if you're the type of person who actually buys boots to last 5+ years.

It's kind of a shame. If you're not offended by the somewhat clog-y shape, Devoa footwear tends to be exceptional.

13. eckblk

eckblk Senior member

Anymore pics of the Augusta? I have no idea

BTW-
    I got through to CDG Aoyama- m_moria will start at 300k yen :fu:. I realize that anything from Italy in JP gets marked up but that is insane. I noticed new Guidi in JP can run up to 145k yen. ouch!

Thanks- I will be avoiding them now for sure.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012

14. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member