• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*** The official and awesome DIY thread ***

colabear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1CFA65ED-5135-47E7-A37D-7910B2B08972.jpeg

Mixed Print shirt

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The last two are great, but you need a label. Something like:

a
~ COLA-BEAR ~
joint​

flowcharts

Reaction score

Did some quick mods to an Alpha Industries M65 (OG107 from '82). Heavily inspired by Needles Rebuild and Sacai
-Removed epaulets & hood
-Lightly tapered the body to lessen hip flare
-replaced bottom section w/ vintage tapestry, remade and reattached drawstring hem.
-replaced drawstrings w/ paracord
-moved chest pocket to the back. I couldn't get a pic that made this look good--definitely looks better worn.

I'm still undecided, but I think I'd like to put eyelets on the outside for the midsection drawstring as. I may also sew along the edges of the elbow darts to make them more pronounced

flowcharts

Reaction score
Just got around to taking pics -- I made this bag and have been using it for a couple weeks now.
IMG_20190704_192315-01.png

• Duck canvas outer, outdoor poly liner, Wickett & Craig American Vachetta leather, Riri M6 zip, solid brass hardware
  • This was my first bag-- I made the pattern and put together a half-scale paper version first. I wanted a little bit of structure while still keeping a 'tote' feel, so I made the base out of a double layer of canvas and gave it defined corners. The rest of the body is just a front & back piece, without any definition where the corners would be. It's 14"x14", 4" deep at the base tapering to 2" at the top.
  • The outside pockets are slightly asymmetrical. The right pocket is made to fit a water bottle.
  • The lining is drop-in, made of medium-heavy indoor/outdoor fabric--it helps with structure, and the fabric type means it's easy to keep clean. It's got standard dividers for a laptop/notebook, wallet, pens, sunglasses slot, and a hidden pocket for fun.
  • I coffee-dyed the zipper to match the canvas. The color came out great. I think the heat & salt exposure caused the pull to tarnish, but I'm not too worried about it.
  • I wasn't able to get rid of the glue lines. This was my first time gluing & stitching any non-black leather. I guess I'll have to put more pressure on my gluing next time.
  • All the leather is saddle stitched, with a knot in every stitch. I definitely got better as I went--the shoulder strap was the last piece done, and the tension and consistency of my stitching is way better than the rest. It was something like 1600 stitches for all the leather. I'm never doing that again.
  • Leather is lightly topcoated with diluted resolene. Since it's veg-tan, it should darken with time and use. I'm hoping the resolene will protect the it enough to keep it from getting that nasty look you see on a lot of unfinished veg-tan
  • My only hiccup pattern-wise was recessing the zipper. There were a couple spots that couldn't be reached with a sewing machine and had to be hand-stitched.
  • Last picture is next to a Filson 256, which has been my everyday bag for the past 3(?) years

Spehsmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Waffled on whether to visibly or (sorta) invisibly mend my Engineered Garments shirt with a fat tear in it, and ultimately went with visible mending:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads