1. MEGA EASTER EGG HUNT has started now! There will be $50, $100 eggs and a Golden Egg with a pair of St. Crispin's brown oxford shoes from Skoaktiebolaget inside!
  2. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

*** The official and awesome DIY thread ***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sipang, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Kwaker

Kwaker Senior Member

2. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi Dubiously Honored

3. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Senior Member

How would I go about fixing an edge like that, that's started to crack pretty badly/the leather is bare in some points?

4. DavidLane

DavidLane Distinguished Member

You would have to go through the first steps in order to get to the last two. The acrylic is just a top coat, and will look bad if you don't finish the edges first. Feibings makes an acrylic finish as does Angelus. They are basically the same thing.

You can scrape the leather with a straight piece of broken glass to make them even and square. Use it like a cabinet scraper, which you can google. From there sand them with high grit papers and take your time. You will only sand them once, so don't rush and make sure they are smooth and even. Use the glycerin soap flat against the leather and then follow the remaining steps.

Everyone gets impatient with scraping and sanding. This is where you need to spend your time.

DL-

5. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Senior Member

Thanks!

6. d4nimal

d4nimal Senior Member

7. colabear

colabear Distinguished Member

61D7AD06-61B2-4A65-A308-E90285DE7CB5.jpeg

My next DIY inspiration is early 90s

8. brillopad

brillopad Senior Member Affiliate Vendor

There's some great stuff in this thread! Not sure if this is relevant, but figured I'd share my DIY coat rack I made last year from some plumbing pipe and an old redwood board.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. kenucklehead

kenucklehead Active Member

So, here's the story behind the boots I made.

Having spent too much money on engineer boots over the years, I wondered how difficult it would be to make my own pair... to customize them to be just what I want. The photos I shared were of my first attempt to work in leather, let alone to make footwear.

I researched boot making web sites and tutorials and found a place to buy a last. Got some relatively cheap leather and buckles for my "learning" project, and proceeded to design the patterns. After cutting out the pieces, I took my time and started to put together the elements in a sequence that made sense to me. Had to remake some parts due to some oversights but I got everything for the uppers together and was at a point where I felt like I could use some pointers. I called up a local bootmaker and asked if they'd be willing to see what I'd done and perhaps offer some advice and was welcomed. Seeing what I created, they were impressed and were more than happy to help with lasting and showing me what it would take to put the soles/heels on. They even provided the material without me asking!

I had no expectation that I'd end up with something wearable, let alone looking decent. They are not exactly what I would want but with some tweaks, I feel like I'm close. I've got some nicer leather and am planning to take what I've learned to do even better next time.

Not bad for a first attempt though, eh? fullsizeoutput_1951.jpeg KrL+OWhwQeKsHYF5vWr+ag.jpg

10. Kwaker

Kwaker Senior Member

Just curious, what are your other hobbies or line of work? You clearly had some transferable skills that gave you the confidence to tackle something like this. Anyhow, I am quit impressed .