1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

*** The official and awesome DIY thread ***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sipang, Apr 6, 2011.

1. otc

otc Senior member

Anyone know a source for single-pair orders of Vibram or Soletech soles?

Don't want to buy a case, but the selection that pops up on ebay/amazon is limited.

Can I get them in non-standard colors? For example, the ripple soles only officially come in Tan/Brown/Black, but I have seen companies selling them in red, white, and blue:
    [​IMG]

2. aidanc

aidanc Well-Known Member

I know that Tokyu Hands in Japan sells single pairs of soles, both full and just heel pieces. If you can't find a more accessible source, you could try using a proxy to have some sent over. They were pretty cheap over there but the proxy/shipping costs will vary.

3. Takai

Takai Senior member

So I have been working on completely rebuilding this pair of jeans for quite some time now, and I thought some of you might enjoy seeing some pictures. Not done yet, but well on the way. @IRKSM

Nothing done by machine, all single needle stitched.

What I started with:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The denim on the rear, and on the knees were both paper thin, stretched out and torn. These jeans had been repaired a number of times previously.

Repairs thus far:

Darn/Reweave/Reinforce button hole
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Repairs to the Rear:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have some WIP pics for the pocket repair as well, but I cant find them atm.

Knee repair:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    17 people like this.
  4. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

X-post from the furniture thread

5 people like this.
  5. Rewfio

Rewfio Senior member

@Takai
    Damm dude...thats some handwork...
    Are those gonna be for personal use? Or just messing with the denim to kill time?
    Those two pics of the blue and white stitching,before the kneework pics,are crazy

6. Takai

Takai Senior member

They were actually a part of a trade with a member here. So once these are done, they will be going back to him. I have my own personals, though they aren't nearly as intense as these.

7. arnoldpettibone

arnoldpettibone Senior member

can anyone recommendation an entry level sewing machine for doing simple alterations?

8. Panzer

Panzer Active Member

I have this bookmarked being recommended in a previous search somewhere, http://www.amazon.com/Brother-LS212...1?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1319815876&sr=1-1

I know its not the classic buy old and metal for quality. Haven't bought it so can't comment on if it's actually any good, though it is from amazon and kinda cheap, may be good enough for what you need.

The other one I have bookmared is an Elna Lotus cause it looks cool and is supposed to be good

1 person likes this.
  9. ClambakeSkate

ClambakeSkate Senior member

It depends on how much patience you have and how much of a perfectionist you are... and secondly how much money you're willing to spend.

If you want things perfect and are easily frustrated I wouldn't recommend anything other than looking for a used industrial machine. They can usually be found for around $300 on craigslist (but depending on your location and the demand you can negotiate the price a lot because usually the people selling them just want to get rid of them). But, make sure there is a decent technician nearby that can fix it or service it.

OR, if you don't mind that your work will not be super-perfect, then any entry level machine will probably do the trick. Go to a sewing machine store if there's one nearby and try a few cheap ones and a few very expensive ones and you'll soon see that sewing quality is not vastly different between the $100 machine and $2000 machine; you pay for useless features mainly.

If you're a perfectionist and $300 is too much to spend and you don't want a big heavy stinky sewing machine taking up room in your home, then just bring your alterations to a pro and save yourself the headaches.

I say this because I am personally a perfectionist and I needed to do a few projects on a home machine recently and I wanted to throw it out of the window.

3 people like this.
  10. Naka

Naka Senior member

I'll second the above. I have a used industrial at home and to be honest it's a pain in the ass sometimes(it's really old). I'd look into a Juki if you're going that route, try to find one with an electronic pedal and not mechanical, much better control. Have you sewed before? Don't buy a machine without trying a couple out first.

11. spacepope

spacepope Senior member

Anyone know where I can get some medium-to-heavy weight linen jersey?

Also resurrecting this thread.

12. double00

double00 Senior member

hmmm... medium to heavy weight linen jersey? like for a sweater or ?

13. spacepope

spacepope Senior member

for some beanies and t-shirts

14. absolem

absolem Member

aliexpress maybe - I haven't ordered from them, but http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1442336 seems to have a wide variety including linen knits

15. Naka

Naka Senior member

If you can't identify fabrics at home by burning or with a microscope I'd be pretty hesitant to buy direct sales from factories. This isn't a latent racism thing, it's widely accepted in the industry that you need to be doing your own fabric identification tests even when you're visiting factories to determine fibre compositions.

16. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

How hard is it to dye white denim to a more off-white/beige colour? Some initial research seem like coffee is actually the best way to achieve the colour I'm looking for but that seems like a hard thing to get right (how much coffee? how much water? how long of a soak etc). Has anybody done it?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  17. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

Actually the denim you should use would be marked "PFD". That indicates "prepared for dying".
    I have seen it in yardage, but not in finished jeans.
    Some of the DIYers here might have suggestions as to preparing the jean for dyeing.
    one thing for sure is, do not try dying if it has not been washed at least two times.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  18. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

Well this would be a pair of finished jeans that are just too optic white, whereas I want more of an ecru colour. So the dye wouldn't hold? Maybe that's why the suggestions I found were for coffee as it would be more a "stain" than dye.

19. double00

double00 Senior member

lots of natural dyes could work. i guess it depends on what flavor of beige you'd like to achieve.

i've dyed my share of wool and my understanding is that cellulosic fibers (like cotton!) tend to take up natural dyes less vigorously. so you could shop around on a couple of websites and see what is available.

http://www.dharmatrading.com/dyes/natural-dyes-from-plants-and-insects.html

or yes coffee. or tea.

natural dyeing is often unpredictable - pH is important, temperature, time, whatever you already have on your jeans, mordants, etc etc. if you go that route i'd encourage an open mind, it will be more of an adventure and less heartache. good luck!

EDIT: also, some dyes are more or less colorfast than others and it also depends on your base (wool vs cotton, etc) so a little research goes a long way here as well.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  20. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

just thinking out loud, having dyed some jeans and shirts before, though not with coffee, I would throw 12 oz of coffee into a bucket, add enough hot water so that you can submerge the jeans, put the jeans in and leave them there for a workday's worth of time. come home, remove the jeans, and wash them in the washer. if they're too brown at that point, wash them w/ a little bleach; if they're too light, repeat the coffee dye process. i think the dye will hold enough.

if none of that works, go after some real dye, like jaquard idye, though you may not want to give the jeans the full dying time since the idye ecru color seems pretty strong.

1 person likes this.