• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*** The official and awesome DIY thread ***

DanIsThe

Reaction score
I used chucks for a couple reasons:
  • I was also taking some inspiration from the Rick Ramones (which is pretty funny when you think about it)
  • I had a pair that I didn't wear sitting around being useless

If you're going to go and buy shoes to do this to, why not just get something without a toe cap - unless you're totally set on converse. Vans makes some highs with no toe cap and that don't lace as far down and I'm sure you could find others too.

The other thing is that the converse are still the shape of converse after being painted. I've never handled the Augustas, but they look to me in pictures like they're bigger and more substantial. Sk8-his might even be a good candidate.

Just some things to consider.

The fold and soak sounds good, but I don't know how much it would do compared to just folding them. Can't hurt I suppose.

Anyway, I used Folkart brand paint and gloss from Wal-mart.

E: Feel free to send me the ~$800 discrepancy
tongue.gif

Last edited:

melonadejello

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend made this jacket for school.

The assignment was 'sportswear' so all her classmates did like, bikinis and she busts this out.
Big mesh lined pockets, mesh inlay in the shoulder, and a half mesh hood that zips into the collar and snaps down to the front.

It also happens to fit me perfectly!
I'm gonna post a fit pic with a real camera one of these days but I was getting ancy :3

filcol

Reaction score
Anyone know if it's possible to paint the gum soles of Docs ?

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i was wondering the same thing the outer edge at least.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone know a source for good denim buttons . I'm looking for a rivet type with a hollow center not the crap pin types sold in all the sewing stores

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So a few weeks ago I was recently looking thru my old shoes and was thinking about my old cons. And recently the new MMM x Converse collection gave me the perfect inspiration. Paint peeling off over time to reveal a different color underneath.

Before

After

Started out with a somewhat beat up pair of off-white his

Applied a layer of dark blue acrylic (it looks darker in person)

Then added a layer of clear medium crackle
Then painted white over it.

Finished product

The idea is that more paint will chip off as I wear to reveal the blue underneath.

DanIsThe

Reaction score
Really like those, art. Does crackle treatment make it chip off instead of peel?

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
does anyone have experience shrinking a leather jacket?

name

Reaction score
How much does it cost to get someone in the US to make a decent pair of jeans from your fabrics?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads