1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

*** The official and awesome DIY thread ***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sipang, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Senior member

Holy shit, dude.

2. eazye

eazye Senior member

Cool! These are good things to know, I never even thought about using glue on the patch.

3. flowcharts

flowcharts Senior member

Quick sanity check. Crazy shoulder bunching aside, am I delusional thinking that a snap-in stole would be awesome? Thinking of doing a cut-sew kinda deal with messed up black fringe and little gothic-ish black lace insets in a few places. Would pair with future projects: drapey rayon-knit tee w/ raw hems and patchwork inspired by the sweet pants @Melvile posted in waywt, and vintage size 40 tuxedo pants rebuild w/ drop crotch/spiral legs & some other goofy little details.
    ...or maybe just wear with outfits like this in the meantime idk what I'm doing stage an intervention please.
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  4. wogbog

wogbog Senior member

no intervention

keep going

1 person likes this.
  5. lyysander

lyysander Active Member

I'm a fan of Supreme's "Fuck" rug from a few years ago, so when I wanted to learn to embroider I decided to try to somewhat replicate the design for my first project (this one is about 3.5" x 3.5"). But it didn't turn out as well as I wanted it to. Does anyone embroider and have tips on how to make it look less sloppy?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    5 people like this.
  6. Sleeves345

Sleeves345 Senior member

I think what you've got looks pretty good, but to get better in-fill, use longer, overlapping, staggered stiches. Not short stitches in neat little rows. Same thing for the black outlines. Each stitch should start slightly inside the previous one, so there's no room for the fabric to show through.

Not an embroiderer myself, but my wife and mother both do it, so I've picked up a thing or two.

1 person likes this.
  7. flowcharts

flowcharts Senior member

Solid advice from @Sleeves345 . For a first embroidery project it looks really good. Your black stitches look fine to me. Did you draw it out on the fabric first or just go freehand? Disappearing ink markers or sewing chalk/pencils are a handy tools to have, especially for planning out tricky things like lettering. Spend lots of time getting the design exactly how you want it (measure twice, cut once blah blah blah--I'm guilty of this all the time).

Also, the negative space would look sweet filled in with french knots

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  8. double00

double00 Senior member

just to add to this, what did you use as the base fabric? my wife also does this a bit, and i gather it can be easier to keep stitch lengths even, etc if you use a plainwoven base instead of a twill.
    the base weave becomes a guide and a matrix, but tbh i don't know what they used at Supreme for the original, so... just curious, is this a wall hanging or an actual rug?

i think your first effort is great!

1 person likes this.
  9. lyysander

lyysander Active Member

Thanks! I will definitely use this moving forward. Now to decide what to embroider next.

I drew it out beforehand but just kind of messily with a number two pencil. Next time I'll have to bust out the ruler. I'm definitely going to try your suggested french knot approach on this too.

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I'm honestly not sure what the fabric is, I got it at this place called the East Bay Depot for Creative Reuse where you can get scraps of fabric for about a buck per pound. It definitely has a pretty tight weave which doesn't seem to be optimal, so I'll have to hunt down something else next. It's just a little wall hanging, I wasn't quite ready for a rug yet. I might patch this onto a grungy pair of jeans or jacket, not sure yet.

2 people like this.
  10. flowcharts

flowcharts Senior member

What's more exciting than the inside of a single shoulder seam? I don't know.

I started making a drapey rayon-knit tee today. After spending so long trying to pattern my last (first) shirt from scratch, I just ripped apart a $2 American Apparel tee and traced it out this time--so much easier. I decided to take a little more time on this one and finish off all the seams nicely. There'll be some raw details on the outside of the shirt, but the inside will be completely finished off. Kind of redundant since the knit fabric won't fray or unravel on its own, but it's more for my own practice & peace of mind. This is also my first time working with a thin stretchy fabric, so getting clean seams without puckering is definitely taking some practice, patience & test strips, but it's going well so far. Also really loving the drape & slight sheen of this fabric--looks like it'll pill like crazy though--definitely one to hand wash [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  11. flowcharts

flowcharts Senior member

xpost from waywt. second shirt is finished. rayon's got some super drape and a decent weight too. As a comparison, it's at least twice as thick as AA's viscose tees. Raw edges on the sleeves and hem, the collar is one piece folded over with a raw edge sticking out. I still don't have a double needle (or any other sewing accessories apart from the bare minimum), so sewing the neck band on was just tedious as crap. That being said, I really enjoyed making this--it's not as intricate as my first shirt, but damn immediate results.

Also, there's enough fabric to make one more of these or something similar. I'd initially planned on doing something along the lines of:
    ...but probably without all the hand stitching, both for quicker results and because I don't think the fabric would handle embroidery/sashiko-weight thread well. I'm also not sure if the idea is really suited the the weight/drape of the fabric. thoughts/opinions?

3 people like this.
  12. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

Gents, long time no post.

Horween Essex duffel in the making.

9tpi, 432 linen thread. Hand sewn.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sewing on the "ends" of the bag tonight, hopefully.

30 people like this.
  13. Naka

Naka Senior member

Ohhh good lord that workspace is just as nice as the bag.

6 people like this.
  14. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

Sooo...I found this shearling-coat in a thrift shop for really cheap. It's knee-length, double-breasted, seriously heavy, pretty goddamn pimp and it fits me well. So I bought it.

Now, I'd like to change it from brown to black. I realize I can't just put it in a sink with dye as the lining will be completely messed up by that, so I assume my only option is sort of color applied with a brush on the outside. Is this even remotely possible? Again, it's cheap, so a mediocre/yolo/cheap/creative solution is probably what I'm looking for more than a serious one.
    If it can't be done in any good way I can just return, so if that's the case it's still all good.

Will get a pic of it tomorrow to update this post with.

15. double00

double00 Senior member

why would the pile be messed up by a dye bath? you don't want to dye it black as well? water won't hurt the wool, in fact it's like to do more damage to the hide...

if you don't wanna dye, try to find a good natural leather creme that contains black dye and go to town. after trying it out on an discreet spot of course and seeing if you like how the shell takes it. $.02

of course, that might get expensive with a knee length db coat.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  16. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Maybe shoe dye? In the UK Dylon isn't that pricy

17. tgaith77

tgaith77 Senior member

18. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

Pics!

Closed
    [​IMG]

Superclosed
    [​IMG]

Open
    [​IMG]

Back
    [​IMG]

What I'd like to do:
    [​IMG]
    -Dye/darken the whole thing
    -Trim the lapels a bit
    Optional:
    -Remove the "just for show"-buttons
    -"Hide" the button-holes with a placket

Found a few superold ads for this brand too when I searched around
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Pretty sure I have the "GLENN in super lux shearling" , bottom right corner in the left picture

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
    8 people like this.
  19. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

That thing is badass and looks pretty cool as is
    Id probably try some shoe polish if you really want it black but I'm not a professional!!

1 person likes this.
  20. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

Gents,

Update on the duffel project. Beginning to look like a actual bag now. Ends sewn on with piping.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Handles, lining, and zipper next.

BC

21 people like this.