1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

*** The official and awesome DIY thread ***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sipang, Apr 6, 2011.

1. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

I had made some credenza trays out of industrial felt and decided to continue with the line and make some more home-ware. Pillows down below
    The credenza trays are going to have a new spin on it by collaborating with my good friend from CSM. Coming Soon!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

blobject bio pillows

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    27 people like this.
  2. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Guess this counts as DIY: I'm trying my hand for the first time at carving a pipe. Started with a pre-drilled kit block, mostly because I don't have the equipment to turn and drill a stem. Decided to do a big poker sitter because simplicity.

Roughed out the shape freehand with a coping saw, disc sander and dremel; from here on out I'll just use hand files and sandpaper to finish it. Still figuring out exactly what I want to do with the shank.

Progress pics:

[​IMG]

9 people like this.
  3. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

Is dyeing a pair of raw blue denim a fairly straight forward process? I have a 2nd pair of denim that for really well that I want to dye black, since I can't actually find a good fitting pair of black denim. In general, will they come out actually looking black or more of a super dark blue or purple?

4. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

Dependent on your dye. I, for one, have never successfully done it, but I feel pretty certain the fault is with me. The last pair I tried came out a pretty red-heavy black.

5. OccultaVexillum

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. They are the uniqlo pure blue loose tapered in raw, which is basically just navy. I have worn one pair pretty heavily for a few months and they have absolutely zero indigo loss and I don't think they ever will fade.
    I wonder if I bleached them first it would make the black dye "stick" better?

6. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

Check www.dharmatrading.com - I know they offer "color strippers" and that sort of thing, as well as a whole lot of dyes (including various blacks) and dyeing equipment. Keep in mind that if your jeans are stitched with synthetic contrasting thread, it probably won't take the dye and you'll have dyed jeans with yellow contrast stitching.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  7. OccultaVexillum

Thanks Synth
    I actually just threw an old pair of Baldwins in to some bleach to practice on. Bleach for 24 hours then dye black, see how it goes.

8. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Forgot to post a finished pic of the pipe:

[​IMG]

9 people like this.
  9. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

wow, 24 hours... do you use a pretty low bleach to water ratio for that? last time i bleached anything for more than an hour, i destroyed the jeans. they were brittle and ripped apart when I tried to wear them. but i was using a lot of bleach in the ratio.

but assuming that doesn't destroy them, getting them as white as possible is a good plan for the dying process. and if you need to, you could also do a dye session in a dye meant for polyester/synthetics so that the contrast threads go black too.

10. OccultaVexillum

Well you're probably right. I just took them out a few hours ago, put them through a few rinse cycles and now they are hanging. It was a pretty low ratio (2 cups bleach/2 gallons water). First time ever doing something like this so I was basically just winging it since it's a pair of denim I never wear anymore, but they do feel "crunchy" for lack of a better word which is probably the brittle thing you're talking about.
    They're better since the rinse though, I don't even have the black dye yet though lol so they will sit all weekend, they just look cream now, stitching is bleached as well (cotton I guess?).

11. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

if you want a true blue, don't use RIT dye. RIT black is basically purple.

1 person likes this.
  12. OccultaVexillum

Yeah that's something I'm wary of. I plan on going to design lab at University on Monday and I'll just ask them, probably dye it while I'm on campus too.

13. KongGeorgeVII

KongGeorgeVII Senior member

So I posted my first pair of shoes I made a couple of months ago and since then there hasn't been anything for a little while but I have been busily working away. First up is a pair of slip on high heels I made for a friend who was getting married. It was a fun challenge and way more complicated than I initially thought. They are my first pair of heels and the asymmetric gaps made my life hard but I think the end result was worth it:

[​IMG]

Then it was back to making shoes for myself and I just finished these up this morning. After nailing the last nail in and sitting back to admire my work I decided I would just trim a little bit off the heel to finish it up. Of course that was when I slipped with the knife and ended up wuth a deep cut on my finger...

Lots of blood but probably no nerve damage. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll take a fit pic soonish when my new Yohji coat comes in. Next I'm planning to make something inspired by RO creeper boots.

If your interested in seeing WIP pictures I've been trying to be good about updating my instagram: https://instagram.com/davidhleslie/

55 people like this.
  14. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Whoah, those are both very nice! I am just struggling with a friendship bracelet myself. :facepalm:

15. spacepope

spacepope Senior member

where2kop

4 people like this.
  16. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

kopenhagen

1 person likes this.
  17. AAJJLLPP

AAJJLLPP Senior member

Just curious, why didn't you burnish the sole edge and heel stack? IMO it just doesn't look quite finished. Otherwise they're great though.

18. spacepope

spacepope Senior member

I actually really like that rawness ^^^

19. KongGeorgeVII

KongGeorgeVII Senior member

There were a couple of reasons for it, primarily because I just don't really have the experience with what will work and what won't. Those are only the second pair of shoes I have ever made and I was worried that any product that I added would darken the leather. They were made for a bride so I wanted to keep them bright. I have also been struggling to source the proper materials for doing it because handmade shoemaking is not a big industry anymore ;)

Like @spacepope I also quite like the rawness, and even if I had burnished them there would still be visible imperfections. You can see gaps where the heel was joined to the sole and burnishing wouldn't have done anything to hide them. The bride is an extremely close friend of mine and it was more of a sentimental exercise than anything. It meant more to her to have something made for her by a friend than to have the perfectly made shoe so hopefully when she looks at them in 20 years time it brings back good memories :)

There is always going to be a certain level of rawness in all the shoes I make anyway. I don't use any machines in the process so every stitch is put in by hand, all the edges are hand cut and hand sanded etc. I'm only human so they will never be as perfect as something you would buy off the racks but for me that is the charm of them.

6 people like this.
  20. brightorangetrousers

brightorangetrousers Senior member

Painted a pair of GATs with gold acrylic.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.