1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

*** The official and awesome DIY thread ***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sipang, Apr 6, 2011.

1. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Just tossed some indigo 3Sixteens into the wash with 1.5 liters of bleach.

Last time I bleached jeans, I soaked them in a bucket for 4 hours. This time I just opened the side-loading machine and poured the bleach in, a few minutes into the cycle. This could end terribly.

1 person likes this.
  2. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Senior member

Haven't you already done that?

3. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Yeah, just got bored and decided to do it to another pair using a different method. I accidentally shrunk the first pair and had to retire them.

They turned out several shades lighter, but not stone-wash light. The fade is more or less even, too, instead of the splotches I got from the bucket method (which I kind of liked). I may do some more bleaching later, but first I'll let them dry and take some pics.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  4. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Senior member

Cool. I kinda liked the unevenness of your last pair but I'm interested to see how these turned out too.

5. Duke de Silver

Duke de Silver Member

Old jeans? you could try painting them like Maison Martin Margiela.

Experiment with different dyes.

6. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

I ended up bleach-washing these 3 times, with 1.5–2.5 liters of bleach each time. They went from deep indigo with hardly any signs of wear to full-dad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
    21 people like this.
  7. otc

otc Senior member

Going on a ski trip this weekend. Last year I made myself a neck warmer (gaiter) out of an ikea fleece blanket to replace one I had lost. Also made one for the guy who planned the trip and my GF at the time.

I still had 5/6ths of a blanket left so I figured I would make a few more. Good opportunity to practice my cutting and sewing skills. Ended up making 15 of the damn things and spending more time than I though. The first cuts weren't very straight (need to get a big cutting mat for my rotary cutter...nice straight lines) since the fleece is kind of hard to cut nicely, but I got better by the end.

Actually pressed the hems this time and marked the needle plate for an even seam...by the end, some of them turned out quite nice and I feel a lot more in touch with my machine (my usual denim repair doesn't care about even stitches or straight lines).

Then I took some excessively close up photos.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

so... "coming to an Etsy shop near you soon"?

9. otc

otc Senior member

Lol. Considering you can buy a probably better quality one for like $4 (those child laborers are very good sewers)...I doubt it :)

Gave away all but one this weekend... I suppose it made it easier to identify people in our group from the chairlift.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  10. troika

troika Senior member

Always wanted some bright green shoes like mcnairy. Thrifted some boring beige Cole Haan boat loafs. Dyed green.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Suede protector spray along with my other new suede kicks.
    [​IMG]

6 people like this.
  11. troika

troika Senior member

Hey guys, need your help.

I'm trying to spice up an old leather jacket that is just too large. I've read up on trying to shrink it but so far have had very little success.
    Soaked it in hot water for about 30min, then tossed into a very very light tumble dry for about 10min, then laid out to dry...no dice.
    Any ideas on what else I could do? I don't mind if it gets banged up a bit as well.

Long term is to get an artist friend of mine to paint a WW2/RRL themed image on the back once it fits reasonably well.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  12. Kwaker

Kwaker Senior member

Must be a heavy calf jacket ... I can only recommend repeating the hot bath and machine dry.

13. runyourchain

runyourchain Senior member

Better of buying someone else's old leather jacket that fits and then get your artist friend to do his thing.

14. troika

troika Senior member

Yep, pretty heavy and lined. Will have to give this another shot. Should I be afraid of the dryer or does it not really matter at this point?

Might just end up doing this. Jacket was a present so I'm kinda obligated to at least try to make it work.

15. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

i don't think the calf will shrink and stay wearable. if you get it to shrink, you may also destroy the leather (with the dryer, you're baking it, basically).

maybe see if there's any leather worker in town who can basically tailor it?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  16. Kwaker

Kwaker Senior member

Any wetting and drying of leather should be followed with liberal conditioning with something like Lexol to prevent cracking.

17. ghdvfddzgzdzg

was bored w/ my converse and i never liked the lines of color on 'em; did a quick coat of white acrylic paint.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sorry about the dirty laces

16 people like this.
  18. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

Hey troika
    Do that again to the jacket and you may destroy it. treat it with that lexol.
    Remember its leather. You do that shrinking trick just on raw denim.
    Take it to a leather shop and have them make it smaller.

19. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

What did you use? just a brush?

I might do this.

20. ghdvfddzgzdzg