1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

*** The official and awesome DIY thread ***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sipang, Apr 6, 2011.

1. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

damn that's cheap, I'll probably buy a beanie or two for christmas gifts [​IMG]

2. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

So a few months back i decided to make myself a pair of pants with the help of my dads tailor. i brought him some measurements and a crappy pattern and we made them into something wearable. then the exciting part happened! I had got the opportunity to intern with peir wu :)
    fast forward a couple months and ppl were still asking me to create the pants for them. So i decided to ask peir and it has been a long process but we finally launched them two weeks ago!

its such an amazing feeling to develop an idea into an actual product. i could not be happier with the result!

i received my sample pair and have been living in them for the past two weeks :drool:
    cannot wait to get umit benan creepers and wear with peir wu ss14 mmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!

DAT DRAPE

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10 people like this.
  3. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

I had two identical pairs of these 3Sixteens so decided to bleach one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
    11 people like this.
  4. mcdecker1

mcdecker1 Senior member

that looks pretty terrible. But I do appreciate the courage !

5. brightorangetrousers

brightorangetrousers Senior member

Looks great to me! Love all the irregularities.

6. Im Twelve

Im Twelve Well-Known Member

3 people like this.
  7. colabear

colabear Senior member

My old Burberry plaid shirt repurposed with a rugby striped knit sleeves. Styled as a midriff top and worn with Marc Jacobs pink cashmere beanie [​IMG]

8. fireflygrave

fireflygrave Senior member

edit: not sure if this was clear in the original post, but I don't consider the green cloth gloves to be a finished version! Just a test I thought I'd share before doing some more substantial materials :)

More MA+ diy:

Wanted these gloves, can't justify $450 price tag:

[​IMG]

So I cut up an old green pillowcase to fuck around with how the gloves would work in 3D, and eventually got a pattern for it.

[​IMG]

Traced my pattern onto more sickly green pillow-cloth, pinned up the seams, and sewed them up and trimmed. Here's what I got!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think now that I have the pattern and proof that it works, I might try a version in heavy linen, and if that works, I will see if my sewing machine's boast that it can handle 20 oz. denim is legit, and try it on some super super thin lamb leather :D

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
    14 people like this.
  9. runyourchain

runyourchain Senior member

Pretty cool all the way around. Very interested in seeing the lamb

1 person likes this.
  10. CoveOps

CoveOps Member

Really cool!! I've tried it and it looks awesome!

11. CoveOps

CoveOps Member

It's a really good idea, thanks for sharing!

2 people like this.
  12. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Good. Pics?

13. 9100RPM

9100RPM New Member

What a cool thread! I've been making my own bow ties for a few years now and just wanted to share. Here are a few of my most recent creations.

[​IMG]

I borrowed my dad's DSLR and soon after finding a lightbox DIY on youtube, I ended up taking these shots last week. The first two images are the exact same ones, but the left image was produced after a bit hue adjustments.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope y'all enjoy!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
    3 people like this.
  14. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PREVIOUSLY: NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

** Soles are not as glaringly WHITE! as they appear.

:slayer:

~ AND ALL THINGS OLD ARE NEW AGAIN ~

WINGTIP SAGA: PART III

+

.​

7 people like this.
  15. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

I have a bunch of old denim; is there anything I can repurpose it in to that won't be completely tacky?

1 person likes this.
  16. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

is that yardage or jeans?

17. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

Repairing other jeans?

18. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Old jeans that I don't wear anymore due to the fit, or falling out of preference.

That's a start.

I could just Goodwill/Salvation Army them, which is what I normally do with my clothes; always looking for an excuse for a new project, though.

I've seen some pretty dope tool-rolls out of denim; might be the way to go for me. Something I can do with just a needle and thread, right?

19. RXS09

RXS09 Senior member

I recently dyed a pair of my Margiela side zips from Grey to Black. This is a bit of a how to, in case anyone is interested in doing the same.
    Cost of boots aside, it's a fairly cheap process but it takes time and patience. I used Fiebing's Leather Dye which I bought from Ebay. I bought the 4oz bottle, which was more than enough. The bottle comes with an applicator, which seemed to work just fine. If anyone needs a link, feel free to send me a PM.

I started by wiping down the entire boot with warm water, ensuring that it was completely ridden of any dirt, excess polish, etc. I laid down a decent amount of paper towels as well, in the case that some spilled.

Cleaned&Before dyeing:
    [​IMG]

First coat: If anyone decides to do this, be sure that you lightly dip the applicator in the bottle, and apply it in a circular motion. This helps guarantee an even distribution.

[​IMG]

Second coat: Not much of a noticeable difference in pictures...

[​IMG]

After the second coat, I used a rough rag to wipe off excess dye. (The brand name of the rag escapes me, but they're the same ones I use to work on my bike. The kind of rag that everyone has at least one of laying around in their garage.)
    The reason why I opted for a rough rag is that it helps to reduce the shine, as I wanted the boots to have a matte finish. The rougher surface also helps remove excess dye more efficiently than something smoother.

Dried & wiped down:
    [​IMG]

After they dryed, I also steamed them. I had never done this before, but apparently steaming them was supposed to help remove any remaining gloss. It worked excellently, to my surprise.
    Since I did this, they've been worn several times. I'm content with the result, and now I have this overwhelming desire to alter more of my stuff.

[​IMG]

What I forgot to mention is that when I did this, I wanted to keep at least one thing from the original boot. I decided to keep the small tab on the back grey.
    If anyone has any questions what so ever, feel free to shoot me a PM!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If anyone has any questions what so ever, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
    22 people like this.
  20. Duke de Silver

Duke de Silver Member

Have a look a Needles and see what can be done with old pants.